Prince Targets Facebook Users in $22m Lawsuit

HardOCP News

[H] News
Here's a brilliant idea, suing your 22 remaining fans for posting links to a live concert on Facebook. :(

International superstar Prince is back on the copyright warpath, yet again targeting individuals who are quite possibly some of his biggest fans. In a lawsuit filed in the Northern District of California, Prince is chasing down fans who found links to his live concerts and posted them on Facebook and blogs. The unlucky 22 individuals, 20 of whom are yet to be identified, face a damages claim of $22 million.

Maybe we SHOULD wreck these people's lives. Like completely - in an effort to create immense backlash on the whole copyright/file sharing/piracy thing. I'm not saying it's right - but it's so blown out of proportion it's ridiculous. Then once their lives are wrecked, we can start a fundraiser and make them millionaires for their trouble.

International superstar ? It's been years since the guy was relevant,he should be grateful anyone still listens to him!

Hopefully he dies and those lawsuits are dropped by the sane person who picks up his will.

They should be litigated into oblivion, but only because who listens to Prince?:D

Bootlegging implies they were profiting from the the distribution. All they did was repost links.

He went back to being price? I thought he was the artist formally known as prince.

Either way I fully support this lawsuit. He needs to make money somehow and so he needs his fans to give everything they own so that he can make money. Other artist spread this over thousands or millions of fans, when you only have a few dozen they have to each pay a larger piece.

Here's a brilliant idea, suing your 22 remaining fans for posting links to a live concert on Facebook. :(

While I agree it's dumb, the people who posted the videos have to be die hard fans and they all know how Prince is. Prince has never been very big on the internet. I don't think he has a presence on Facebook. With that said, it wouldn't stop me from going to see the guy. As live performers go, there are only a few that are in his league. If you limit it to those with 20+ years in the business, the list is smaller still. He may be a dick, but he's a talented little dick.

While I agree it's dumb, the people who posted the videos have to be die hard fans and they all know how Prince is. Prince has never been very big on the internet. I don't think he has a presence on Facebook. With that said, it wouldn't stop me from going to see the guy. As live performers go, there are only a few that are in his league. If you limit it to those with 20+ years in the business, the list is smaller still. He may be a dick, but he's a talented little dick.

Talented? Meh.

Take most of these people...strip them of their multi-multi-million dollar lighting gear and their team of pro audio guys and the millions of audio gear...you know what these guys do?

Pack up and go home.

Because most all of them can't put on a show without a legion of technicians to make their act worth watching.

So what exactly did they do that was illegal? Simply posting links to another site that was hosting? So if I post a link to a pirate bay torrent I'm just as liable the website?

Prince cannot sue for one million. Copyright law limits the maximum fine to $150,000. and assuming he were to win, how does he expect to get one million from each person?

I waited to see him live at Paisely Park for four hours this fall, and they almost couldn't fit everyone in the airplane hangar sized concert hall that came on a whim in person. The 22 fans comment is cute, but it's Prince we're talking about here, after the amount of crazy sold out shows he did last year (at least within Minnesota), implying he's fading in popularity to that degree is indeed hyperbolically amusing :p .

But yes, no one said Prince was not a petulant, eccentric, and sometimes odd man. Suing his normally dedicated and loyal fans is not the best move, but if you ever did go to see one of his shows, you'd also know he takes that no recording devices and cell phone stuff REALLY seriously. It's kind of a pain to have to check my phone at the door when seeing him (at risk that it will be taken away and never given back), but if someone went through the trouble after all that to illegally record his concert, I dunno, it's hard to feel too sorry that they got the hammer dropped.

I hope these people all get one lawyer and fight back to Prince, he thinks he is above his fans or anyone else. If that jackass wanted to make more monnies how about opening that big vault of yours and released all those tracks you made that noone has ever heard of and release a new album. At least MJ was still trying to do new stuff unlike this has been little man.

So what exactly did they do that was illegal? Simply posting links to another site that was hosting? So if I post a link to a pirate bay torrent I'm just as liable the website?

technically yes, that is how the U.S has been taking out public torrent sites, claiming they provide links to illegal content, but of course search engine's are exempt..

Talented? Meh.

Take most of these people...strip them of their multi-multi-million dollar lighting gear and their team of pro audio guys and the millions of audio gear...you know what these guys do?

Pack up and go home.

Because most all of them can't put on a show without a legion of technicians to make their act worth watching.

mmmm, no not true for Prince. Did you see his superbowl act a few years ago? it was basically him with his guitar in the middle of a field jamming. This is a guy has been known to move the party back to his place just to perform for strangers. then when he is done he kicks them out with out ceremony :D
same thing for listening parties. he also plays like every instrument and writes his own music and lyrics. the guy is an artist. a goofy little twat who is suing his fans for no good reason for what will amount to no gain, but extremely talented.

That is a different scenario. Pirate Bay's main purpose is illegal distribution of copyrighted works. These are links on Facebook. Mostly from fans who may or may not have realized they were linking illegal content. Yes , go after the little guy instead of the real threat.

Talented? Meh.

Pack up and go home.

So have you not seen Prince or do you just not know anything about music? The guy is a great guitarist. Pop? Done it. Rock? No problem. Funk? Well that's where he started. Blues? why not. Jazz Fusion, been there done that. And as good as he as on guitar, he's arguably better on Bass. And skrip, he was doing that in clubs back in the 70's.

But if that's your standard, then I guess every guitarist I've seen outside of dive bars sucks, because the rest have pro audio guys. Trust me, the firs ttime I saw him, it was to go to a party in a suite. My opinion was pretty fucking low and and he blew me away, despite the shitty sound.

But yes, no one said Prince was not a petulant, eccentric, and sometimes odd man. Suing his normally dedicated and loyal fans is not the best move, but if you ever did go to see one of his shows, you'd also know he takes that no recording devices and cell phone stuff REALLY seriously. It's kind of a pain to have to check my phone at the door when seeing him (at risk that it will be taken away and never given back), but if someone went through the trouble after all that to illegally record his concert, I dunno, it's hard to feel too sorry that they got the hammer dropped.

They can't legally take your phone or camera or anything else. They can refuse to let you enter or they can kick you out, but that's it. With that said, if he's actually fighting against cell phones, then he's doing it wrong. Unless he intends to release a ton of live recordings (which seems unlikely), then what's the point?

BTW, I recorded him in vegas (same show he released a dvd from, though that was mostly from the 2nd set), and it wasn't very hard to do. Recording video might be harder, but if you're not on top of the stage, you're sneaking in a real video camera and likely have the ability to manually adjust exposure. Again, he'd be better off just embracing it. As long as it's not being sold, it just doesn't matter.

This is a guy has been known to move the party back to his place just to perform for strangers. then when he is done he kicks them out with out ceremony :D

I hear he'll dunk on you, then make you pancakes while you cool yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka.

Back