Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (remake)

A new update reveals that the game is still in "conception" phase after the Montreal studio took over the project, 2.5 years since the project was first revealed.

https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/arti...-on-prince-of-persia-the-sands-of-time-remake

It's certainly looking like that :ROFLMAO:

I can't find the source anymore but earlier I saw a Tweet referencing an article where it was stated that they had to go back to the drawing board because the engine they were using didn't support wall running. Ubisoft went going full steam a head on the remake without bothering to make sure their bloody game engine would actually work for it.

I can't find the source anymore but earlier I saw a Tweet referencing an article where it was stated that they had to go back to the drawing board because the engine they were using didn't support wall running. Ubisoft went going full steam a head on the remake without bothering to make sure their bloody game engine would actually work for it.
Wow, that is a huge fail if true. Wall running was a major game mechanic in the 2003 game.

Not to mention Ubisoft has pretty much EVERY assassin's creed engine capable of wall running in one form or another (not to mention the original Sands of Time trilogy/quad , the remake PoP in the late 2000, and a ton of other titles..

I can kind of understand Ubi going full steam ahead, but I remember that this remake was handled by Ubi's India subsidiary that had never shipped a game like this before but, because of the subject matter and cultural elements a lot of people were really excited for the project. They could go to Mughal fortresses and other stuff (ie where the line between various Indian and Persian empires blurred, and use that as a new starting point vs it being exclusively 1001 Arabian Nights sort of thing. Apparently things were botched bad enough that they had to go back to the drawing board entirely , taken over by a first tier studio like Montreal which is disappointing; it should have been an achievable goal. Hell, they've even dumped a lot of the promo art and stuff from the Indian branch (of course you can find the old stuff online, videos etc )but its just a waste especially if all that stylistic, writing and other work has to be trashed because nobody thought to look after baseline technical considerations!

Not to mention Ubisoft has pretty much EVERY assassin's creed engine capable of wall running in one form or another (not to mention the original Sands of Time trilogy/quad , the remake PoP in the late 2000, and a ton of other titles..

I can kind of understand Ubi going full steam ahead, but I remember that this remake was handled by Ubi's India subsidiary that had never shipped a game like this before but, because of the subject matter and cultural elements a lot of people were really excited for the project. They could go to Mughal fortresses and other stuff (ie where the line between various Indian and Persian empires blurred, and use that as a new starting point vs it being exclusively 1001 Arabian Nights sort of thing. Apparently things were botched bad enough that they had to go back to the drawing board entirely , taken over by a first tier studio like Montreal which is disappointing; it should have been an achievable goal. Hell, they've even dumped a lot of the promo art and stuff from the Indian branch (of course you can find the old stuff online, videos etc )but its just a waste especially if all that stylistic, writing and other work has to be trashed because nobody thought to look after baseline technical considerations!
This just goes to show that hiring the best people for the job trumps everything else. I expressed skepticism when the development studio was revealed, and it appears I was right.

This just goes to show that hiring the best people for the job trumps everything else. I expressed skepticism when the development studio was revealed, and it appears I was right.
True, if this is what turned out to be the problem. Though then again, this is an internal studio and you would have thought that even a less experienced team would have been able to be overseen by other departments and if there were problems, dealt with; its different than outsourcing the whole thing or not having people in your studio that are capable at all. Maybe there are other things going on, but it seems like it never should have gotten to this point.

https://x.com/princeofpersia/status/1727008986853937369
https://nitter.poast.org/princeofpersia/status/1727008986853937369
1700657383349.png

what a weird update...more like 'hey guys the project is not dead'
I take from it that they are doing a complete overhaul with graphical fidelity thats available today while still remaiming true to source material. At least this is what I hope for.

I take from it that they are doing a complete overhaul with graphical fidelity thats available today while still remaiming true to source material. At least this is what I hope for.

"Re-imagining this legendary story" is the opposite of of remaining true to the source material. Sometimes this can be good, more often than not it isn't. Considering this is Ubisoft, consider it to be worse. Seems like this was an internal failure and they're just messing around with prototypes while figuring out what they can do with the story.

According to a leak sent to Tom Henderson, the game was rebuilt completely from scratch despite the last update mentioning that they're building from what the Mumbai and Pune studios made. The leak is also in the extreme early stages of development, meaning that the game is probably at least another 2 years from being shown, let alone being released.

https://insider-gaming.com/prince-of-persia-sands-of-time-remake/

There are very few studios around that have the financial clout to scrap a game completely and re-start the whole thing, or the balls to do so.

Ubisoft is actually hurting pretty badly on the financial side. They ended their most recent fiscal year $340 million in the red, bringing their total debt up to $2.8 billion.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/UBI.PA/financials
Ubisoft might not be hurting though.

For more than a decade Amazon never turned a profit. I remember asking my financial analyst buddy how Amazon was able to stay in business and he literally laughed at me and said profit isn’t the mark of an expanding or healthy business, cash flow is.

I guess it all depends on how Ubisoft ultimately wants to position itself. The company could be playing a long game, and doesn’t actually care about generating a profit, but rather wants to create a healthy company that will be a major player ten, twenty, thirty years from now.

I don’t know. I’m not an analyst. LOL.

Back