Prince Harry wants Fortnite banned

For every gen there's always going to be a 'thing' that people latch onto to fill our needs for socialization, interaction, self fulfillment or self worth. From substances, group activities, to media(music-t.v. movies-cell phone-gaming), there are many things humans have shown addictions to. Look back at the 1950's-60's and how both the U.S. and G.B. reacted to the phenomenon of blues>rock&roll concerts. The tantrums of kids then could be quite violent. This resurfaced in the 80's with heavy metal. During the 80's we also saw the rise of the 'quarter' suckers and speculation regarding the psychological effects and designs of games. From the 60's to now we've also seen shopping become a thing and many have spoke up about advertising tactics and the ethics needed with them. We also saw some similar instances of D&D in the 70's and 80's and some groups wanted that banned. About once a decade or so there's similar events involving a movie franchise. In the 90's we saw the rise of hip hop/rap and groups tried to attribute behavioral issues then. Here we began to see the introduction of cell phones and the rise of the internet. People again had the same old issues to deal with but new avenues to pursue for addictions and needs. The first two decades of the 2000's have now seen social networking reach levels that its even expected among some circles for the very young. All thru this we've of course had drugs, both legal and not, as well as various food substances that have proven to have addictive natures.

In the end to each their own but honestly addiction will always exist as long as the individual and societies are unable to identify the needs the addiction is fulfilling. In extreme cases external control is likely needed for those who can't help themselves. I think many of us may have personally experienced this whether from parents, law enforcement, friends/peers, some tragic experience, or perhaps even a medical event but all out bans solve nothing when the individual needs remain unaddressed. If those needs are not met and something is banned then transference is inevitable and I'd guess an even greater risk of more damaging behavior. I do feel sorry for modern parents though. The next 'thing' can happen so quickly these days most parents may not even know until their child is entrenched in it. I personally feel that if anything should be banned it should be those stupid YT challenges that keep popping up. They help serve natural selection but otherwise are often so very tragic and destructive in doing so.

Back