Prime95 for stability test of OC.

apopleptic

Limp Gawd
I've been testing my OC on my 3570k with prime95 to check how stable it is.
Think there is a 'better' way?
If the prime95 is fine, how long would you run it before you assume everything is OK.

Prime for me no longer its a proof of full stability i can pass 8 hours of prime95 28.1 and crash after 10minutes of hard CPU gaming like crysis 3 and far cry 3.. for any stability test i would let it run for at least 12 hours of blend... then run at least 20 pass of IBT with maximum stress and then like 6 hours of aida64 FPU and 6 hours of FPU+CPU test. (this last 2 test are specially important) aida64 its becoming the preferred stability test for many people because its more a real test than a cooler test like IBT or prime small FFT.. in fact with my actually 2nd ivy chip i do not use prime95 anymore.. just aida and then lot of far cry 3 and crysis 3 playtime.... if not crash in the first 2 or 3 hours of continue play then all its fine..

blend and IBT for general stability and heat, myself I run looping passes of Heaven DX11 as this is a full system test and generally (at least in my experience) if it is stable doing this, then it is stable as can be, and you can force the settings on it to really pump the gpu OR really hit the cpu. I know firestrike is supposed to be quite decent overall stability but I prefer heaven not for how many l33t points I get, but because it tests cpu, gpu, ram, vram, temps etc very well and you can actually see the benefit or declines when overclocking much better then you can with other programs as well and its not looping constant bs numbers its almost like it is playing a game (with sound) so is quite realistic loading.

Another decent one is LinX.

Back