Prime Sierpinski Project Setup

NickOfTime

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2014
Prime Sierpinski Project setup instructions copied/updated from hanluc @ overclockers UK

1. Register an account http://www.mersenneforum.org/ and log on.

2. In the forum section Prime Sierpinski Project there is a thread called " Teams:- Join a Team" post in that and request to join [H]ard|OCP with your desired username, also PM 'ltd' with your request. Your username must not contain spaces, use underscore if need be, you can check the stats to see if your username is already in use.

3. Once you've been added, download the latest prpnet client from http://uwin.mine.nu/PRPNet/

4. Unzip the client you need, and edit the "master_prpclient.ini".
set userid and machineid to your username (bug in prpclient)
uncomment or add servers
server=PSPfp:100:1:www.psp-project.de:8100
server=PSPdc:0:1:www.psp-project.de:8101
comment out any other servers with //
comment/uncomment between 32 bit and 64bit exe's or cuda (I had to add cufft32_55.dll to directory for cuda to run)

5. You'll see lots of .bat files in the extracted folder, use the group of .bats that has the amount of cores you have or want to run, if you have a quad core machine for e.g. you would need to run in this order:

a) 4-quad-install-prpclient.bat ( this will create 4 new work folders for each core)

b) 4-quad-update-prpclient-ini.bat ( this updates the prpclient.ini file in each of the new folders from the master_prpclient.ini file)

c) 4-quad-start-prpclient.bat (starts all the clients at once)

Some additional Notes.

There are 32bit versions of LLR and other programs, but the prpclient.exe in the windows zip seems to be 64-bit...

You can see current reservations at tools.1up.no/psp/stats (1 hour delay)
Project Stat Page http://www.psp-project.de/stats.html (15m delay)
Free-DC Stats http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=proj&proj=psp

server=PSPfp:100:1:www.psp-project.de:8100
server=PSPdc:0:1:www.psp-project.de:8101

You can change the set up of these servers, each server gives out different work, the top one is fp (first pass) work, these take the longest to complete, around 3-4 days on an 3770K and currently give around 11,000 pts per WU.
(47 hours intel i7-2700K 3.6ghz, 116 hours amd 6276)
Cuda version seems to run at same speed as intel cpu's.

The bottom one is dc (double check) these take half the time of fp pass work, and give 5,500 pts per work unit, they scale the same, I've never found any advantage pts wise between the two but the dc work maybe preferable to some on slower machines.

100:1 means that you will recieve 100% of work from this server, 0:1 means no work, you can change them around, do both types of work evenly 50:1, 50:1 or whatever percentage you prefer.

Estimated 1st Pass Runtimes, based on ms per bit...
50ms per bit, 200hours, 8.3d
45ms, 179h, 7.4d
35ms, 139h, 5.8d
30ms, 119h, 5.0d
25ms, 99h, 4.1d
20ms, 80h, 3.3d
15ms, 60h, 2.5d

Last edited:
LOL

Call me stupid but I can not get registered a mersenne what are they wanting for the answer in 2^32-1 in english and spanish, I have a feeling this is going to take me a while. :rolleyes:

The following errors occurred during your registration

You did not enter the correct format for the What is 2^32-1? field. Please read the field description for the expected format.
A required field called What is 2^32-1? is missing or has an invalid value.
You did not enter the correct format for the What is 2^3, written in Spanish? field. Please read the field description for the expected format.
A required field called What is 2^3, written in Spanish? is missing or has an invalid value.

LOL...it stumped me as well...until I realized that you needed to spell it out in Spanish. So, if the answer was 1, then you would type uno.

yeah, and it clears your password fields on wrong answers, at least it is not changing the questions...

2^32-1 4294967295
2^3 spanish ocho

1294122738_simpsons_bart_ay_carumba.jpg

yeah, and it clears your password fields on wrong answers, at least it is not changing the questions...

2^32-1 4294967295
2^3 spanish ocho

Thanks that helped, strange they require a person to answer those questions. There are some of us who do not know the answer to them, It kind of makes a person feel like they do not want the help of us dummies. :(

I am not so sure that is the best way to get donors to help out and contribute. :confused:

Thanks that helped, strange they require a person to answer those questions. There are some of us who do not know the answer to them, It kind of makes a person feel like they do not want the help of us dummies. :(

I am not so sure that is the best way to get donors to help out and contribute. :confused:

Yay for BOINC! lol :D

NickOfTime I see you are still not a member of any team, I am guessing they are not too enthusiastic about getting PSP work done through there project pages over at mersenne. They still have not even allowed my post asking to be put on team [H] . Although I did get a PM from pinhodecarlos asking if I would run these http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=15557. I am assuming he must have some privileges on mersenne.org because I have no post that have been allowe yet. And he was asking if I was Grandpa from team [H]. Anyway I am assuming PSP is pretty much a dead project to anybody new and probably should be removed from the DC prjects. :(

Perhaps the other project should be added in it's place :)

Last edited:
NickOfTime I see you are still not a member of any team, I am guessing they are not too enthusiastic about getting PSP work done through there project pages over at mersenne. They still have not even allowed my post asking to be put on team [H] . Although I did get a PM from pinhodecarlos asking if I would run these http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=15557. I am assuming he must have some privileges on mersenne.org because I have no post that have been allowe yet. And he was asking if I was Grandpa from team [H]. Anyway I am assuming PSP is pretty much a dead project to anybody new and probably should be removed from the DC prjects. :(

Perhaps the other project should be added in it's place :)

What other project are you referring to? I can always bring up the concerns in the admins section. Not many admins yet, so things will certainly be slow getting resolved for a while. I know PSP is a concern of a few of us and the supporters are usually long term contributors. Most people looking to contribute get discouraged from what I have seen. They highly encourage people to just run PrimeGrid, and so I think they should just quit running the custom client. It is clear they don't want to manage it efficiently.

It took a Day or two until my first post was un-quarantined, They really try to prevent spam at mersenneforum's...

Well, First Wu is almost completed, 96%. Will see if the stats get updated and if It's part of the team...

Otherwise, well, we are testing the vault requirement of "accept new members and teams immediately upon registration" ( Never said registration has to be easy thou :( )

What other project are you referring to? I can always bring up the concerns in the admins section. Not many admins yet, so things will certainly be slow getting resolved for a while. I know PSP is a concern of a few of us and the supporters are usually long term contributors. Most people looking to contribute get discouraged from what I have seen. They highly encourage people to just run PrimeGrid, and so I think they should just quit running the custom client. It is clear they don't want to manage it efficiently.

The one in the link http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=15557 Riesel Prime Search

First wu completed, but since I reserved as user 1 due to ini bug, 1 got 11,500 points. Oh well, next wu is at 60%...

Well I see they finally aproved my post asking to join [H] but I also see NickOfTime is still listed as no team. :(

I just posted today and PM'd ltd as well. I already had a mersenneforum.org login since I've been asking GIMPS questions.

Any recommendation wrt. hyper-threading? I'm going to fire this up on an I4P with 64 HT cores. Wondering if I should disable hyper-threading and just start 32 threads.

EDIT: I disabled hyperthreading on one host to see how it behaves. Anything on PrimeGrid or PRP should have it disabled according to these basic numbers.

Last edited:
It's been a month since "ltd" has been on the mersenneforum's, I guess we have to be patient...

But it looks like from previous posts that he will move crunched wu's to the team for the individual...

Also, let me know exactly how long it takes to get each thing taken care of. ie. account setup, team setup, work units made available, etc... This is an issue that irritates quite a few and I would like to be able to present those numbers for arguments sake at the Vault. You can PM me if you don't want to post them publicly.

The discussion here has led me to the conclusion that I don't want to deal with the hassle.

How about new guide instructions?
Step 1: Sacrifice a Spanish speaking virgin goat on a stone slab during a total solar eclipse.
Step 2: Download a WU
Step 3: Burn a witch
Step 4: Crunch a WU
Step 5: Upload completed WU while loudly handling your worry beads.

:D

Well, I think it's the same for the Mega-Prime project, except you just change which server you want in the ini file settings, and their server is probably a more up-to-date version so it may use the userid and machineid properly

I have improved the Linux-based configuration scripts to my liking (replacing the use of xterm with screen). There are now four generic scripts which take an argument for the number of cores you want to run. It uses symlinks for the "programs" directory instead of copying the files over and over. This appears to work well since the INI and data files are stored per core, but the binaries are all the same.

install-prpclient.sh
Code:
#!/bin/bash
# Requires an argument specifying the number of clients/cores to install.

if [ -z "$1" ]; then
  echo "You must specify the number of clients to install."
  exit 1
fi
if [ "$1" -lt 64 ]; then
  for i in $(eval echo {1..$1})
  do
    mkdir prpclient-$i
    pushd prpclient-$i >/dev/null
    ln -s ../programs/* .
    popd >/dev/null
  done
else
  echo "You must specify an integer less than or equal to 64."
  exit 1
fi

update-prpclient-ini.sh
Code:
#!/bin/bash
# Requires an argument specifying the number of clients/cores to install.
#
if [ -z "$1" ]; then
  echo "You must specify the number of clients to modify."
  exit 1
fi
if [ "$1" -lt 64 ]; then
  for i in $(eval echo {1..$1})
  do
    sed s/INSTANCE_ID/$i/ ./master_prpclient.ini > prpclient.ini
    mv ./prpclient.ini ./prpclient-$i/
  done
else
  exit 1
fi

update-screenrc.sh
Code:
#!/bin/bash
# Requires an argument specifying the number of clients/cores.
#
if [ -z "$1" ]; then
  echo "You must specify the number of clients."
  exit 1
fi
BASEDIR=`pwd`
RC=$BASEDIR/prpclient-screenrc
[ -f $RC ] && mv -f $RC $RC.bak
if [ "$1" -lt 64 ]; then
  for x in $(eval echo {1..$1})
  do
    dirname="prpclient-${x}"
    fulldir=${BASEDIR}/${dirname}
    echo "chdir $fulldir" >> $RC
    echo "screen -t $dirname $x ./startx.sh" >> $RC
  done
else
  exit 1
fi

start-prpclient.sh
Code:
#!/bin/bash
# Use screen instead of xterm
# Tips:
# "screen -r -d -S prpclient" to reconnect to session.
# Ctrl-A " to view all windows, navigate to window using arrows, hit Enter to select.
# Ctrl-A 1 to switch to window 1.
# "screen -list" to see screen sessions.

RC=./prpclient-screenrc
if [ -f "$RC" ]; then
  screen -d -m -S prpclient -c ./prpclient-screenrc
else
  echo "You must first populate $RC using update-screenrc.sh"
fi

Place these scripts in the main directory (with all the other Shell scripts).

An example run for a 32-core system would be as follows:
  • Edit master_prpclient.ini
  • Run ./install-prpclient.sh 32
  • Run ./update-screenrc.sh 32
  • Run ./update-prpclient-ini.sh 32
  • Run ./start-prpclient.sh
  • Optionally run screen -list to show the screen session (named prpclient).
  • Optionally run screen -r -d -S prpclient to connect to running screen session with 32 windows already up and running. You should be placed in window 32. To list all windows, hit Ctrl-A " (double-quote).

First wu completed, but since I reserved as user 1 due to ini bug, 1 got 11,500 points. Oh well, next wu is at 60%...

One crunched as NickOfTime, 11,050 pts.
No team yet, oh well, guess we will ninja points from the vault until LTD assigns the team. See how many ranks we can get...

With regards to the bug in the PRP client/PSP server where the fields are mixed up, I believe I've worked out what needs to go where.
In the master_prpclient.ini ....

email= <enter machineid>
userid= <enter email address>
machineid= <enter userid>

This is for just the newer clients, certainly v5.08 and below are uneffected by this.

When starting the client an error message appears for a second or two if you don't use an @ in the email field for your machineid, but it works after that.

instanceid I commented out & I know teamid is not used by the psp server.

I got a PM from LTD that said I have been aded to the team now I will try and get a rig set up for it this weekend.

Back