Prime Members get MX100 512GB for $160

There's no way in hell that that product ID code in the second link is legit.

when i type +++++++++++++++ it blocks it

camel camel camel see

what gives. Why does hard hate camelcamel camel

I'm not referring to the blocked words...look at the *Product ID* at the end of the altered link.

EDIT: Jesus it's legit. "B00KFAGCUM" brings up the 512GB MX100. Either someone's got a 15 year old's sense of humor or Amazon's product ID code assigning database has become sentient...and it has a 15 year old's sense of humor.

I was just going to ask which was the better drive, the MX100 or the Samsung 850 EVO. So is the MCL on the MX100 make it the better drive to buy?

SLC>MLC>TLC

The crucial drives have always been high praised and performed well. Samsung is good too but I would avoid TLC personally but I am a snob.

Look at an andandtech review or tweaktown. They will tell you everything

make sure to upgrade the firmware on the mx100, MU01 had issues, MU02 seems okay.

Stacked TLC V-NAND in the 850 EVO will have at least the durability of older MLC, if not better. The 850 EVO is also faster. The MX100 is rated for 72TB with a 3 year warranty and the 850 EVO is rated for 75TB with a 5 year warranty.

This is the lowest price this drive has ever been, but the 850 EVO is worth a few dollars more.

Need some assistance. How does the sandisk ultra II compare to this drive and the Samsung 850?

I grabbed the sandisk yesterday, but can still cancel. Don't honestly know enough about SSD tech to make an informed decision over the price differences.

ultra 2 is inferior compared to both of them but i dont know by how much

It may be irrelevant to you.

ultra 2 is inferior compared to both of them but i dont know by how much

It may be irrelevant to you.

Yeah that's what I'm trying I figure out.
Ultra II 135
Mx100 160
Pro 165

Is the features available in the last two worth the $25 to $30 more?

Ok. Is this a good buy or not?

I have had SSD in my desktop for a few years now, and the 1TB Black in my gaming machine is just killing me.

Would this be a good replacement for it?

Those write speeds would make this a Sandforce controller, right?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm ultra curious as well as to why CCC is blocked. It's his site though so I'm sure he has a sound reason. Right, right? :D

I'm ultra curious as well as to why CCC is blocked. It's his site though so I'm sure he has a sound reason. Right, right? :D

linking a products CCC page probably blocks their commission as if you buy something through CCC link, im pretty sure CCC gets the commission instead of [H].

CCC are all referral links. Outside referral links have been against the rules for about 15 years.

I'm still rocking an old ass 750gb 840 Evo, but I don't think the MX100 is any faster IIRC.

Edit: I've heard of cockblocked, but camelblocked?

Last edited:
Yep the 750gb 840 Evo is about the same performance as the MX100. I got a good deal on the 750gb 840 Evo during the last black Friday sale. The drive has been working like a champ after the latest firmware update.

this is what I get with mine,
crucial_MX100_512GB.jpg

Stacked TLC V-NAND in the 850 EVO will have at least the durability of older MLC, if not better. The 850 EVO is also faster. The MX100 is rated for 72TB with a 3 year warranty and the 850 EVO is rated for 75TB with a 5 year warranty.

This is the lowest price this drive has ever been, but the 850 EVO is worth a few dollars more.

1. We don't know the actual durability of that VNAND. It's all theoretical. Like theoretically the 840 EVO was a good drive that totally didn't blow up and not get a firmware fix for months. Granted the MX100 is a newer MLC, but MLC has at least been out for years and has actually been torture tested to hell and back. You 850 EVO people are beta testers (well, the second wave; after the 840 EVO). Pure and simple. I do hope it works out. It didn't for the 840 EVO folks until (I'm not sure if this has happened yet) they got a firmware update long after.

2. I've gone at length about this, but SSD warranties are generally bullcrap. Either it will be DOA or go dead soon (ie well within a year), or you won't get to use the warranty ever. It's that simple. If you write enough to the drive for it to go dead within 3-5 years, you'll also be long past the 70TB write durability. I think very, very few people actually get to claim a warranty past maybe a few months on an SSD. Have you seen the SSD torture tests? IIRC most drives go well into the 600TB range before having any issues!
http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead
Even the TLC-based (iirc) regular 840 drive was at 300TB. Likewise, if you're not writing that much, I highly doubt the thing will go dead in a several years. SSD durability has always been related to data written.

Of course my assertion would need mass testing for verification but... oh well. Such data is not conveniently available, ever. It's too costly to put together.

I might grab one of these MX100 drives. I hope maybe at some point one of the older MLC's will go on sale, though. I don't need speed, I want reliability. Rock solid reliability.

don't get your hopes up for data migration software I have found most of the free junk to be too limited to do anything useful.

Yes. Huge improvement with launch and in-game load times. I'm all SSD in my system and I will never go back to spindle. On a side note, Samsung is launching their 2TB Evo and Pro 850s this month. Not cheap, but yay for larger capacities!

depends the game. Natural Selection 2 is straight up retarded in load times. SSD/RAM do wonders

GTA V and Ark Survival Evolved are my most 2 played.

I also run VMWare, lately it's been laggy on the 2 TB hdd, thinking to upgrade to SSD.

I am in for one. Should be an upgrade over my m4. Now should I swap this with the M4 and use the MX100 as my system drive or use MX100 as my photoshop and games drive?

Back