Pricing up a Job

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Retnuh, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Retnuh

Retnuh [H]Lite

If you are just starting out and dont know much about pricing a job, how do you get a good figure a client, and you are happy with??

for example...

networking 6 machines in 6 different rooms to a hub then router to allow internet access.
    settting up 6 logins and a small file server.

is there anywhere that gives a guide or indication of charging prices for general contract jobs?

2. niccoli

niccoli Limp Gawd

I think pricing depends on alot of things.

1. The Area, where I live I charge $30.00 per hour, people think that's alot around here but if I was in Denver charging the same people would think that was cheap.

2. Experience, when I get a new tech on my staff we don't charge as much on his jobs because it's kind of a given that he is going to have some problems at first. After a month or 2 of doing work we raise him up to the standard rate. I don't feel it's fair to make the customer pay the same rate to have somebody who's new to the business. Either cut the rate or charge them for less time than it actually took.

Networking machines can sometimes be hard, if pulling the cable is going to be a pain in the ass then I usually charge more than if they have say a drop ceiling through the whole building or raised floor.

First I figure out what materials I would need, price them out, walk the cable run's and get a general idea of how much cable I need. If the machines are all the same and an Operating System that I know shouldn't give me much trouble (Windows 2000 and up). Depending on what all they need on the file server. Usually I figure 2 to 5 hours to configure a basic server, get all the hardware, software configured, add users, setup shares. Sure it usually doesn't always take that long but I would rather bid a little high and come in low as opposed to having to go back and charge more...customers really dont' like that.

3. Darkstar850

Darkstar850 [H]ard|Gawd

Wow, that's damn cheap. In portland its more like 65-80 an hour.

4. ne0-reloaded

ne0-reloaded [H]ard|Gawd

damn i did a couple jobs (mostly for friends tho) and i did it for free. i did it for a company for free too.....maybe i should start charging.

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat [H]ardForum Junkie

A lot of stuff to consider...that you learn to pick up from experience.

<==100 bucks/hour, been charging that for 4 years, going to go up soon. Our area sustains that price.

Various things to consider
    Condition of any existing computers you will be working with, or is it an all new, from scratch network? Condition of computers includes age of OS, any updates, current antivirus, decent OEM builds which you know the cabs will be on the HD with mainstream hardware, or clone junk computers that you may have to fight with just to install a NIC on that 19 dollar piece of junk Via or SiS motherboard.
    Condition of network wiring, if any
    What applications are you building this network for/around? Support for these applications current?

In your example of 6 different rigs, I'd have wiring guy come in (fully certified, tests everything he does with a Fluke) that charges around 100 dollars per data drop, and resell his fee for a bit higher
    I'd try to get 10 hours to build a server, basic server, no e-mail, just an OS, backup, antivirus server, and setup accounts/shares. If brand new computers, I'd shoot for 1 hour per workstation. If pre-existing, I'd shoot for 2 minimum, possibly more based on eyeballing the computers. .
    All computers would have all Windows operating system updates, driver updates, various utilities like Adobe, Quicktime, Macromedia, SunJava, Google Toolbar, MS office products installed and up to latest service pack. Antivirus installed across network, as well as AdWare and Spybot put on all machines.
    Setup/configure POP3 e-mail. If using Exchange server...higher price to set that up.

6. Retnuh

Retnuh [H]Lite

Thanks alot guys, you really helped me out!