Price Warriors Are Vandalizing GeForce 1080 Reviews

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Like any popular item with limited stock, prices are going way beyond MSRP, and people are voicing their displeasure. What’s the most ridiculous price you’ve seen for the 1080 or 1070?

Gamers frustrated to find the 10 Series are doing something really misguided. Thousands of people have taken to give 1-star reviews all over Amazon to warn other not to pay a dime above retail, or as one reviewer put it: "Take me out to dinner first before you decide to fuck me". You can find comments and reviews like this across every make and model on the store. Since the price gougers have them in-stock the MSRP is driven up on the official product EVGA page, for example. The company is now facing have hundreds and hundreds of cost-related complaints from consumers.

Not sure what nvidia was thinking making the FE, now evga ACX are better and cheaper. Only problem is they stay in stock for a while minute or less.

Then just don't buy from resellers on amazon or ebay and wait for in-stock from a better channel. Price gougers will be Price gourgers complaining about them won't stop them because it's easy money for them and it's not like they need to move large volumes.

People just don't understand supply and demand. Incidentally is there a particular reason for the rush this time. Last couple of iterations have been about bitcoin miners scarfing up supply. Are we at some critical junction for VR that everyone wants to be Veruca Salt (I Want it NOW)? I am content until they release a Hybrid Pascal Titan model (and then I will order or backorder, depending on availability). My 980Ti Hybrid should be able to tide me over until then.

I'm glad I sold my Rift for $1250 on Ebay, it helped fund my 2 RVGA 1080s. Yes I wasn't happy about them selling out quickly but I just kept checking online and it took me all of 2 days to get 2 of them. People always gonna hate, complain and bitch.

Are we at some critical junction for VR that everyone wants to be Veruca Salt (I Want it NOW)? I am content until they release a Hybrid Pascal Titan model (and then I will order or backorder, depending on availability). My 980Ti Hybrid should be able to tide me over until then.

One thing to keep in mind, not everyone upgrades every year or at every product cycle. I've not upgraded my primary desktop in 4 years with 3 GTX 680s and am running a 6 year old x58 i7-980x. So this year with Pascal and Broadwell-E coming out simultaneously I went whole hog on a new system. I'm thinking that 2016-2017 is just hitting a natural upgrade cycle with a lot of new stuff out and VR at least seeing a fad interest.

I've seen prices up to €680 for 1070gtx and a crazy €899 for the 1080, I guess the retailers want to get rid of the older cards while the 10 range is under stocked.
I want one but not at these prices, I'll have to wait a while guess.

Not sure what nvidia was thinking making the FE, now evga ACX are better and cheaper. Only problem is they stay in stock for a while minute or less.
You posted in the wrong thread.

Of course, with great demand comes great assholes.

;)

More on topic though, why do people have to absolutely have something exactly on or as close as possible to release day?

If there were not people actually paying up for this kind of scalping, it simply wouldn't exist.

It always takes two to tango, and in this case the buyers have just as much a hand in this craziness as the sellers.

Edit: Guy above me gets it.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I see them on Craigslist for 800 and 900+. Same with Oculus Rift and Vive units going for 800-1200.

LMAO

One thing to keep in mind, not everyone upgrades every year or at every product cycle. I've not upgraded my primary desktop in 4 years with 3 GTX 680s and am running a 6 year old x58 i7-980x. So this year with Pascal and Broadwell-E coming out simultaneously I went whole hog on a new system. I'm thinking that 2016-2017 is just hitting a natural upgrade cycle with a lot of new stuff out and VR at least seeing a fad interest.
I had to upgrade this year also but my PC failed in January so I couldn't wait (it was from 2008). I dropped about $4K on a new system so I am content to wait for the enhanced versions of Pascal before I upgrade. I couldn't quite afford the Titan in Jan (and the 980Ti seemed superior in some ways), but I should be able to afford a Hybrid Pascal Titan this time (whenever they get around to releasing it). After that I will wait for my system to fail again.

I can't fathom how people can be that impatient and foolish with their money, but we see this every time a new high end architecture launches. Pretty silly to leave bad reviews for the cards though, that's not what product reviews are for. These are the same kind of idiots that leave one star reviews for shipping errors.

Nvidia didn't help by shitting their own bed. 10 series cards are pretty average value at best for the small performance bump. A Ti or Vega for 600-800usd now we are talking. These small die midhigh cards out currently, are not what you want to wait 5 years to upgrade to.

This is why you do a hard launch instead of a soft launch. No idea what Nvidia was thinking this time.

Reactions: Lunas
like this
It is an easy target if you keep track of certain things you can make money. Nvidia already limited 1 customer per card.
This is why you do a hard launch instead of a soft launch. No idea what Nvidia was thinking this time.
Nvidia wanted to be first with their FinFet 16nm product and they did ...
Corporate strategy that is based on how to play the market rather then satisfy the consumer ...

Good, it's the free market working, if your price/performance is shit based on gouging then consumers have every right to let it be known. Launch when you have adequate supply and your product/company won't get shit on.

msrp on the 1080 is bananas to begin with nvidia has for the past 10 or so years ever since amd failed to hit the mark leaving nvidia with nobody to compete with combined with super shady methods of locking amd out of the market nvidia has had free reign to set the price at whatever they wanted. the 1080 should msrp for half of what it does 400 is where it should be the 1070 should be 300. That is what this is about amd is coming back speaking out that due to the massive profit per card nvidia is making. Yeah they spent alot of money in r&d but they are making alot of money off it too i would say 300-400% profit is not out of the realm of reality.

Nvidia's shady business is locking down the black box features and bribing games companies to go with the shiny black box that only works with team green vs open box that runs on red or green. Don't get me wrong there are 4 boxes one that is green one that is red a transparent one and one that is blue though the blue one is much smaller and broken and has tape all over it...

The big question is... Is anyone actually buying them at these prices?

msrp on the 1080 is bananas to begin with nvidia has for the past 10 or so years ever since amd failed to hit the mark leaving nvidia with nobody to compete with combined with super shady methods of locking amd out of the market nvidia has had free reign to set the price at whatever they wanted. the 1080 should msrp for half of what it does 400 is where it should be the 1070 should be 300. That is what this is about amd is coming back speaking out that due to the massive profit per card nvidia is making. Yeah they spent alot of money in r&d but they are making alot of money off it too i would say 300-400% profit is not out of the realm of reality.

Nvidia's shady business is locking down the black box features and bribing games companies to go with the shiny black box that only works with team green vs open box that runs on red or green. Don't get me wrong there are 4 boxes one that is green one that is red a transparent one and one that is blue though the blue one is much smaller and broken and has tape all over it...
I am curious, what is the criteria you use to assess that the 1080 is only a $400 card? It is outperforming their top of the line card which retails for over $1000 (over priced somewhat I would agree). But the top of the line video cards have been in the $500-800 range since the mid 2000's. What do you think is deserving of that price point if not the 1080?

Good, it's the free market working, if your price/performance is shit based on gouging then consumers have every right to let it be known. Launch when you have adequate supply and your product/company won't get shit on.
The problem is not with the product. Nvidia is not price gouging their cards (unless you count the FE), nor does the price gouging reflect price/performance ratios; you can not judge a card's price/performance based on price gouged cards and customer reviews of that type only confuse buyers as they have to now hunt for real reviews, not internet crybabie's reviews.

Last edited:
I have noticed that people love to 1 star the card cause the price. Really what does that do to help the matter? Instead of 1 staring the product go in and 1 star the person SELLING the card that will get something done as they are ones being *#&@*(@#&^*(@#&@#*( (you can make up your own words to describe them).

I see them on Craigslist for 800 and 900+. Same with Oculus Rift and Vive units going for 800-1200.

LMAO
Craigslist is a fucking joke when it comes to computer parts. Some guy in my area is selling a 750 ti for $300. I hope it's a typo...

I think both AMD and Nvidia are going to get shit on this time around. The 28nm products on the market have had a long cycle. The Polaris cards are going to sell like crazy for a long while.

Last edited:
I have noticed that people love to 1 star the card cause the price. Really what does that do to help the matter? Instead of 1 staring the product go in and 1 star the person SELLING the card that will get something done as they are ones being *#&@*(@#&^*(@#&@#*( (you can make up your own words to describe them).
The sort of people that would pay 2 or more times the MSRP, are the same sort that will skip it over when they see a 2 or 3 star rating.

I consider Amazon reviews near useless. I only give them any weight if there are a considerable number of DOA claims in the negative reviews. Good reviews are meaningless to me, but some people believe in them.

I am curious, what is the criteria you use to assess that the 1080 is only a $400 card? It is outperforming their top of the line card which retails for over $1000 (over priced somewhat I would agree). But the top of the line video cards have been in the $500-800 range since the mid 2000's. What do you think is deserving of that price point if not the 1080?
Nvidia is not the only offender amd/ati has in the past oversold the cards they have because there is only 2 companies doing it well enough the price is artificially set higher than it could be if say 10 sources for gpu all equally capable. For a long time now the top end has been 600-800$ dollar range. The 1080 is supposed to be equal to the 490 in terms of where the card sits in the lineup for price where the 1070 would be the 480.

Amd is setting the price on the low side due to the market is stagnating they want the pool of people who buy vr games to grow and the number of good vr games to grow.

Nothing competes with the 1080 atm so in efforts to remove potential customers they rushed the card out the door so they could beat amd at the pass.

Nvidia is not the only offender amd/ati has in the past oversold the cards they have because there is only 2 companies doing it well enough the price is artificially set higher than it could be if say 10 sources for gpu all equally capable. For a long time now the top end has been 600-800$ dollar range. The 1080 is supposed to be equal to the 490 in terms of where the card sits in the lineup for price where the 1070 would be the 480.

Amd is setting the price on the low side due to the market is stagnating they want the pool of people who buy vr games to grow and the number of good vr games to grow.

Nothing competes with the 1080 atm so in efforts to remove potential customers they rushed the card out the door so they could beat amd at the pass.
We have been in this 2 company rut for nearly 16 years, and unfortunately, that does not look to be changing anytime in the near and even not too distant future. 3DFX RIP.

Nvidia is not the only offender amd/ati has in the past oversold the cards they have because there is only 2 companies doing it well enough the price is artificially set higher than it could be if say 10 sources for gpu all equally capable.

Competition is great but it doesn't grow on trees. It takes billions to each and every year to just to design ever more complex chips. And if you fall behind you could be headed for disaster if you're not flush with cash, just look at what happened to 3Dfx. To bring in more competition to this space, you'd need more demand

Bunch of whiney entitled bitches. While I despise price gouging when there is ample/steady supply for a newly released product(s), lack of supply and high demand is the sole driving factor here, and there is zero reason to leave a negative review because of that.

I only play World of tanks and it looks like my GTX 780 from 3 years ago is crapping out. Thanks to this new card and these greedy motherfuckers I probably can upgrade to something better for only $50. :D

Our memory express actually has several GTX 1080 FE's they haven't been able to sell because literally everyone is waiting for the AIB cards which are not only cheaper, but far better

This FE edition bullcrap really is the worst side I've seen out of Nvidia yet

It's not price gouging. It's simple rules of supply and demand.

You can't expect people to defy the basic laws of economics.

When supply is low and demand is high, prices go up in a hurry.

If you need to read an amazon review to know if the 1080 is any good or not then you do not deserve to be able to get a 1080.
Amazon is not the place to be reading high end computer hardware reviews.

(says the guy who has 2x watercooled 1080s in sli and loving them) :) :)

I got my hand on an Asus Strix from Newegg Friday and the first thing I did was put it on Craigslist for $1k. I bought it with the sole intention of keeping it but if some schmuck takes me up on the offer I'm not going to say no. I'll just grab another and put the extra money towards my VR fund.

We have been in this 2 company rut for nearly 16 years, and unfortunately, that does not look to be changing anytime in the near and even not too distant future. 3DFX RIP.
matrox, 3dfx, ati, SiS... Amd may keep putting out the radeon brand but they are not ati. Ati like 3dfx was eaten by a bigger fish...

Back