Price Cuts On AMD And Nvidia GPUs

Ordered the MSI Armor 980ti last night. Provided the rebate comes through and I can offload the bullets/blades code for 20 bucks, my end price will be 540. About the same as using Jet.com for the zotac card (ends up being 536) But I was able to use shoprunner to get the card here this week, not sure when I would have seen the reference zotac from jet.

Definitely kicking myself for not pulling the trigger when Jet.com had a $289 EVGA 970 (I think it was standard edition), because $289-$50 makes me not give a shit if it's super clocked, FTW, or whatever other edition they made. Unfortunately I think Jet caught on too many people applying a $50 rebate and they may have been losing too much money (last I looked they were going for $339 or so, so with $50 off it becomes a standard price of $289.

Now here's a question, should I give a crap whether or not Asus, MSI or EVGA? I've always preferred EVGA as they seem to be a bit quieter on average, but $259... then another $20 off that through other means makes me tempted to go for MSI.

With 14nm FinFET right around the corner, the first decent GPU die shrink in almost 5 years, now is absolutely the worst time to buy if you care about raw performance, performance per watt, power usage, heck, basically everything.

With 14nm FinFET right around the corner, the first decent GPU die shrink in almost 5 years, now is absolutely the worst time to buy if you care about raw performance, performance per watt, power usage, heck, basically everything.
How about performance per dollar?

I sure it comes out soon. Looking to do a new build from my 780/2600k. It simply can't do well at 2560x1440 anymore.

I think I'll wait until the next generation at this point. 16nm right around the corner in 2016.

Scored a 970 off Jet.com for about 233 after discounts and no rebates. My 670 is definitely showing its age. Will be a nice upgrade!

Scored a 970 off Jet.com for about 233 after discounts and no rebates. My 670 is definitely showing its age. Will be a nice upgrade!

Sent that deal to friend who was also able to score one, great deal was tempted to buy as well.

Of course I bought mine like 2-3 weeks too early from a retailer that doesn't have a price protection policy worth anything. I'm so smart.

I wonder how soon in '16 we'll have another price cut? Profit share check plus my bonus will allow for some new cards. I wonder how much longer to wait to find out some concrete info on the real next gen stuff. Hopefully not too long, the 980ti is screaming my name.

I wonder how soon in '16 we'll have another price cut? Profit share check plus my bonus will allow for some new cards. I wonder how much longer to wait to find out some concrete info on the real next gen stuff. Hopefully not too long, the 980ti is screaming my name.

Give in. You won't be disappointed.

Give in. You won't be disappointed.

Oh, I'm giving in. There is no question about that! As soon as they send out our profit sharing checks, I will have a 980Ti. My only reason for not getting a Fury X (1440p only for me) is lack of DLDVI. I'm not buying a new card and a new monitor. New monitor may come in April from my wife for my birthday. Those 34in curved ultra wides are starting to look very sexy.

I got taxed on a Zotac 970 from Jet. At $240 I'm quite happy with it. I had to have a small card for my ITX build.

Oh, I'm giving in. There is no question about that! As soon as they send out our profit sharing checks, I will have a 980Ti. My only reason for not getting a Fury X (1440p only for me) is lack of DLDVI. I'm not buying a new card and a new monitor. New monitor may come in April from my wife for my birthday. Those 34in curved ultra wides are starting to look very sexy.

I picked up the Dell Ultrasharp U3415W -- it arrived yesterday.

One of us, one of us, one of us... ;)

Must. Hold. Onto. GTX 690 bought in May 2012. A. Little. Bit. Longer.

Argh. So difficult to resist.

Pascal. Soon. Please.

I picked up the Dell Ultrasharp U3415W -- it arrived yesterday.

One of us, one of us, one of us... ;)

Please, tell me about it. I want a review to the likes of of a seasoned(pun intended) cigar aficionado, an experienced sommelier, and a master bourbon distiller.
I have been drooling over these panels.

Please, tell me about it. I want a review to the likes of of a seasoned(pun intended) cigar aficionado, an experienced sommelier, and a master bourbon distiller.
I have been drooling over these panels.

I'll make a new thread with impressions and update as time goes on. I've had a lot of panels and have been proven super-picky by my latest display search adventure. Might not be quite sommelier-snobby just yet, but by god I'm working on it.

I figured that it's finally time to upgrade my EVGA 285gtx since it simply won't die so I can use that lifetime warranty that it came with. I upgraded to the EVGA 970 SSC, and I will relegate the 285gtx to something else down the road.

Sunnuvabeech...looks like I may be going 980 Ti SLI come tax return.

I wish I had the money to bite on this. I consider myself lucky content at 1080Penn for the most part my 580 GTX has held solid over the past 4 years since I bought it used off of a member on these forums.

But I fear every day that Nvidia will stop supporting my card since most of its current features started on the 600 series on up. I'd love me some Pascal (technical Gigging!), and I hope I can keep my wife'said neediness at bay to score one around launch. Sadly my wife is as much of a gamer as I am so I fear in the end the upgrade may be more for her than I. But I'd go to sleep better at night knowing that I've found a momentary cure for an old habit I once called "upgrade fever:

Gah my phones auto correct has gotten me bad on that last post. 1080P and Technical Giggidy for those who can't translate the language of my people. All hail the mighty continent of Autocorrectica!

While the 980ti is a nice card, I too am going to hold out for Pascal next year. The SLI'ed 780ti's in my rig are still holding up nicely - also helps that they are on water with a healthy overclock.

My 780 on water is showing its age at 5760x1080. I'll wait for the next gen though:

Seriously I feel like a grandpa remembering paying $400 for the top of the line card back in the day. I just laugh when I see titan prices of $800+

I remember paying, at most, $200 for flagships. That being said, I'm glad to see price drops from both AMD and nVidia. Should help them both pull in recent revenue and profits this quarter.

I give my fair share and then some. I'm married but claim zero at the single rate...

Reported for tax fraud.

tumblr_static_dwight-k-schrute.jpg

Must be nice not paying your fair share!

Dumbass.

If he's getting a sizable refund then he is actually paying much more than he should, ie. giving the government a zero interest loan.
Money which he could be investing an getting gains from.

Also, all the reminiscing of "video card high-end used to be cheap" is complete nonsense:

X850 XT launch - $499
X1800XT launch - $599
6800 Ultra launch - $499
8800 GTX - $599

etc.

I was a day late on the deal, didn't realize when the coupon ended. Now I'm stuck with building a new system and running my over the hill HD 6970. Very sad.

Back