Price cuts after 11/05/20?

n0ob3r

Limp Gawd
Hello All,
Trying to look around the internet to see where the opinion stands. AMD is releasing their new chip on 11/05/20 and I wanted to ask who thinks intel will be cutting their prices and how significant do you think that will be?

Here's to hoping for a cut. Just started planning on a system overhaul.

You aren’t going to want an Intel after what I’ve been reading about the 5xxx AMD. Seems like AMD will probably finally beat them in every last performance metric.
Big boost in IPC and clock speed. The last bastion Intel had left was esport/high FPS gaming and AMD specifically targeted that this round.

Hello All,
Trying to look around the internet to see where the opinion stands. AMD is releasing their new chip on 11/05/20 and I wanted to ask who thinks intel will be cutting their prices and how significant do you think that will be?
given intel's history the likely answer is no.. now if they swallow their inflated ego then there might be a chance you see "rebates".

Intel has a history of passing down rebates to remain competitive first and foremost to OEMs in the mode of marketing / loyalty rebates. E.g. requirement for a Dell or Razer: "advertise intel branding on your home page and run some ads, we will give you $100 off every CPU or full system at the end of the quarter after audit". This effectively makes their PCs cheaper. They tend to also pass rebates to stores like Microcenter and CDW, sometimes in the form of bundle rebates. In most cases they will not directly cut tray prices for single CPUs directly, they will make individual retailers offer it in different ways, if they are planning to cut prices.
Edit: should have added, method #2 is to introduce new SKUs like a "11850K" (made up SKU) which has a new lower price and slots in reaaaaaaly close spec wise to the higher SKU at a lower price than usual. Sometimes also tied to a promotion like above.

I think Intel will cut prices on the retail side, unfortunately we do not know to what degree these price cuts will be. I'd remind people that Intel has indeed cut prices on occasion when it's been backed into a "no choice" type of situation. It cut 9900K, 9980XE and 10980XE prices by up to 50% because of where it stood relative to AMD. I think we'll see a significant price cut on CPU's like the 10900K, but again its still up in the air as to how much of a discount we'll see. Intel will probably be more expensive than AMD in each price point, but it will close that gap somewhat.

I think Intel will cut prices on the retail side, unfortunately we do not know to what degree these price cuts will be. I'd remind people that Intel has indeed cut prices on occasion when it's been backed into a "no choice" type of situation. It cut 9900K, 9980XE and 10980XE prices by up to 50% because of where it stood relative to AMD. I think we'll see a significant price cut on CPU's like the 10900K, but again its still up in the air as to how much of a discount we'll see. Intel will probably be more expensive than AMD in each price point, but it will close that gap somewhat.
If the last cut was any indication don't expect it to be much. Intel is very stubborn and don't want to devalue their brand. Even if it is getting it's ass kicked by the competition.

You aren’t going to want an Intel after what I’ve been reading about the 5xxx AMD. Seems like AMD will probably finally beat them in every last performance metric.
Big boost in IPC and clock speed. The last bastion Intel had left was esport/high FPS gaming and AMD specifically targeted that this round.

People still bought Ryzen when it wasn't the fastest all around. There's always a market for bang for the buck. A 6C/12T Intel 10500 on sale for around $150 is still a good processor for "most" people's needs.

AMD still needs to release a 5600 (non-XT) to trickle down to the cheap seats.

except they only cut those prices when there was no availability and then immediately released the 9900KS for more than the 9900K was even though it was impossible to buy a normal 9900K., then all of a sudden they announce the price drop for the 9980XE only for there to be no available stock in retail. not even going to get into the vaporware that was the 10980XE. so to say they cut prices occasionally is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

I am interested to see what this last quarter will bring and if intel will re-position themselves on how they sell their product.

Due to budget, I have not gunned for the latest and greatest. I am more interested for the middle zone where you get the most bang for your buck. The trick is, buying the new budget generation at the beginning its tenure and not the current budget CPUs that are on the way out =). I am hoping if Intel sees where they are at, they may turn into the budget CPU, atleast for this round. (doubtful but possible).

Anyone think the 9900k will go below Micro Center's current $299? If it hit at $249 it would be hard to resist for my Z370 board that is sitting around and cheaper/better gamer than the 5600x. I'm currently running a ryzen 5 3600, but exxpected there to be a $200'ish 5600....

Hard to say, here are the things I have been tossing in my head in regards to planning purchases

things going for price cuts
1. AMD is about to release their new cpu 11/05/20 as well as provide more information about their big Navi on 10/28/20. Result: could cause a flood of hardware to be sold on forums such as this, eBay , etc. for those that like bleeding edge parts. This could cascade into a lack of demand and in turn lower prices ( I am saying could, not would)
2. The cpu that AMD is releasing is actually in the same weight class ( and superior based on what is being communicated) as intel. Result: this could also factor in price cuts for intel.
3.Black Friday / cyber monday / holidays: enough said

things going against price cuts
1. Covid And any vendor supply cuts.
2. Artificial demand created by entities that buy up hardware to make them scarce.

just a few things I am thinking about. Again, this is all theory and there is really nothing to back it up.

Depends where the person is coming from. :)

I've got a 8600K running at measily 4.75GHz so I've been thinking of a 9900K + expanding to 32GB Samsung B-die (already have a 3200 CL14) kit which is a much lower cost upgrade, it's either that or a new AMD Ryzen upgrade but I think both are very nice choices, just matter how much you want to spend. :)

Gaming and daily Adobe After Effects rendering. I think 9900K that hopefully AT LEAST reaches 4.9GHz, hopefully 5.0~5.1GHz (with my luck I would never dare to hope for more irrelevant if pushing to 1.35~1.36v or so). And with added cores/threads + added RAM would definitely help even if AMD definitely would help me more in the rendering department going the 5900X route for example but considering cost of a new mobo and the CPU etc. it's going to be quite a lot expensier too which also seems to be a shortlived AMD platform.

Feels like 9900K/9700K should be high chance this year to have some great Black Friday deals compared to previous lackluster years due to how focus will be out of these CPUs this year if I can wait that long. :) 9900K @ $299 sounds like a plausibility if 9700K was sold briefly for $199 already.

Last edited:
You make some great points RPGWiZaRD. When buying new hardware, it really does make the difference if one is already vested in the current or near current generation intel hardware.

I have had intel chips and I have had AMD chips, so I really am just rooting for competition =). However, It would be interesting if Intel took the under dog role a little bit. Not wishing them woe, just think its good for everyone to get their perspective shaken up now and then :).

I think they are already pricing in discounts judging off the deals I've been seeing at microcenter for their 9 gen series!

Microcenter did a nice price chop on the i9-10980XE too. $1000 or so to $810. Enough to knock me off the fence. I was torn between the expected performance and price of the Ryzen 9 5950X vs. my preference for HEDT and workstation boards but was leaning towards the 5950X. Then last night I noticed that price drop. Usually I don't spend that much on a proc but a long, boring winter is coming and if I'm ever going to splurge on a rig now is the time. Ok, so I'm slot whore and like contaminating my workstation plus random server parts builds with high end graphics cards. Put in a pick-up order for the 10980 last night and the rest of the parts this evening. Picking it all up tomorrow (later today at this point) then doing a birthday build. :) And yeah, that was the other bit. Waiting for 11/5 plus however long shipping takes wouldn't feel like a birthday build even if there's no shortage.

Microcenter did a nice price chop on the i9-10980XE too. $1000 or so to $810. Enough to knock me off the fence. I was torn between the expected performance and price of the Ryzen 9 5950X vs. my preference for HEDT and workstation boards but was leaning towards the 5950X. Then last night I noticed that price drop. Usually I don't spend that much on a proc but a long, boring winter is coming and if I'm ever going to splurge on a rig now is the time. Ok, so I'm slot whore and like contaminating my workstation plus random server parts builds with high end graphics cards. Put in a pick-up order for the 10980 last night and the rest of the parts this evening. Picking it all up tomorrow (later today at this point) then doing a birthday build. :) And yeah, that was the other bit. Waiting for 11/5 plus however long shipping takes wouldn't feel like a birthday build even if there's no shortage.
Maybe because the leaked benchmarks showed the 5950x beating the 10800xe in both single and multi core using much less power ;).

Wow. And you know you act like MC won't have these 5950x in stock in a couple weeks. :eek:

Back