Price and dedicated server issue aside....MW2 vs. BFBC2

ScYcS

2[H]4U
...and without any kind of grudge in the back of your mind about whatnot, does anyone here actually think that Modern Warfare 2 is actually a more FUN game than BFBC2?

I am totally honest, i think MW2 is more fun to play with friends than BFBC2. I know i know, I'm a heretic and should not support Activision and their greedy mindset and yadda yadda yadda but what counts in the end is if i have fun or not and, after playing both games EXTENSIVELY, Modern Warfare 2 is more fun to me. BFBC2 somehow is very much the same all the time and is fairly boring most of the time, even with good teamplay. MW2 seems to have more staying power there.

I just wonder if others also think this way. We still won't be able to play MW2 in our clan for obvious (lack of dedicated servers being the main) reasons and we did rent a BFBC2 dedicated server, so yes, we support the developers for their PC centric effort here, but the fact remains, some people in my clan, me included, think that MW2 might be the "funner" game in the end. And no, none of us have consoles, all of us are over 30 and no, we don't enjoy "hacking".

BTW, concerning price....blizzard sells StarCraft 2 for the same price. I see no one calling foul nor do i see someone calling for a boycott. If you think about it, Blizzard also took away features from SC2 compared to SC1 and no one cries about it. I guess it was just "in" to bash activision at the point of the release of MW2, whereas it's not "in" to do the same with Blizzard now. But that's a different story.

Last edited:
I never played MW2 but I played the hell out of BC2 for a few months but I have stopped completely. The game is just WAY to shallow and too much point and shoot for me. For me I just like semi more realistic flavor of BF2/2142 and the much more open feel of the maps. BC2, maps are just too enclosed and small to deal with vehicles and the infinite accuracy of all the weapons. Being sniped by a shotgun from 500m just isn't fun.

Can't you play dedi MW2 with AltIWNET or something?

Anyway I never played either as I'm an oldskool arena type.
So I can't comment.

BFBC2 hands down, no questions asked, thank you academy, cya later, bye... IMO of course.

No destructible environment. Hardly any teamwork (sorry, alas, this is IMO). Small maps. Weapons physics (gravity anyone?)

This thread will end up being flame war, because the internet doesn't allow people with differing opinions to converse.

This thread was just made because it dawned on me yesterday night, when, after playing BFBC2 for the x-th time and not really having much fun due to either being in a team with my friends totally dominating the other team or, other way around, being in a team against a clan much much better than us and the maps just DRAG until it's over and it's just no fun. Also Carl Gustav is just no fun at all in all honesty.

So yesterday night after a long session of BFBC2, i started up MW2 and boy did i have fun again playing that game....

And BigBacon, i agree, i LOVED BF2142 but really don't think BFBC2 is any special. MW2 wouldn't work for you at all either though as MW2 is mostly close quarter battles and fairly unrealistic at that.

BF2 and BF2142 lost it for me due to the overpowered and overused vehicles. Nothing like tank/heli spam all damn day. Nothing fun about that. I guess that's where BC2 gets high marks for me, limited vehicles. More infantry fights which are great.

Weapons physics (gravity anyone?)

Did ya know that the sniper rifles are the only guns with real physics in BFBC2? Pick up an M60 put the scope on it and single shot headshot people from clear across the map. All other guns besides the snipers are no travel time/no gravity.

I like BFBC2 more because MW2 does not seem like the type of game where teamwork prevails, but maybe thats because all I played was mercenary deathmatch.

I tried to play MW2 on two separate free weekends and I just couldnt get into it. I like being able to find a server I like and play there regularly. Additionally I felt hacked to crap in MW2. Just wasnt very fun. with BFBC2 the battles are typically 26+ people so I have the opportunity to play however I want. I can be more conservative and sit back sniping or just a good squad and rush the MCOMMS.

Hands down BFBC2.

MW2 hands down.

BFBC2 just doesnt have their shit together. Sloppy latency throughout(banding), crazy hitboxes.

MW2 at least keeps the fast n furious fun up the whole time.

They are two different games though, but if i had to choose only one, it would def be MW2.

Did ya know that the sniper rifles are the only guns with real physics in BFBC2? Pick up an M60 put the scope on it and single shot headshot people from clear across the map. All other guns besides the snipers are no travel time/no gravity.

There is travel time on all guns.

It is true about the gravity, in what I have seen. Mainly on the sniper rifles and that's probably only because that's what I have used at longer differences... that and the RPGs.

There is travel time on all guns.

Damn seriously? I learned to lead people from other games but had to teach myself to stop doing it in BFBC2 because I kept losing kills..... If thats the case I wonder what the hell my problem is lol.

Damn seriously? I learned to lead people from other games but had to teach myself to stop doing it in BFBC2 because I kept losing kills..... If thats the case I wonder what the hell my problem is lol.

IMO it's more realistic in BC2 than in other games I've played. The lead in is for targets at a distance much more than it is on closer targets (obviously). I see it more on the 4x on my AN than with red dot.

BFBC2 hands down. Although I'd still rather play BF2 on an infantry only server :)

At the risk of sounding like a manby-pandy pussy, I would say I like both games, but both are very flawed. This is how I see it:

PROs:

MWF2:

Better Graphics
Tighter controls
More "Run and Gun Fun"

BF2BC:
Bigger Maps
Dedicated Servers
Working harder for your perks is more rewarding
Vehicles
Teamwork (albeit not enough sometimes....)

Cons:

MWF2:
No Dedicated Server
NUKES!
Too Arcady at times (if Arcady is a word..... too much crap flying around).
Many many hackers
Many server issues
(Abuse of) The Noob Tube

BF2BC:
"Mushy" Controls
Hit Detection Issues
Too may Recon guys at one time (sorry, I hate this!!!!)
(Abuse of) the Carl Gustav

Overall, I am leaning towards BF2BC because it is so much more varied. Both games are close to being great IMO, but both are seriously flawed.... a shame, really. Can't make everyone happy, I guess!

BF2BC:
"Mushy" Controls
Hit Detection Issues
Too may Recon guys at one time (sorry, I hate this!!!!)
(Abuse of) the Carl Gustav

Never had the mushy controls issue I hear about.
Hit detection got 100x better after the patch for me.
The sniper issue has gone down a lot for me lately.
CG spam makes me mad as hell. Sucks.

Cons:

MWF2:
No Dedicated Server
NUKES!
Too Arcady at times (if Arcady is a word..... too much crap flying around).
Many many hackers
Many server issues
(Abuse of) The Noob Tube

Agree, but a dedicated server would give the option to ban certain weapons,add thrid party anti-cheat, ban players and set own game rules. Dont have any problem with the nuke. Think of CSS - banning AWP, life bans, player and round limits and so on.

for me MW2 is still pretty good, 3 years on.

IWnet is a step in the wrong direction -

Agree, but a dedicated server would give the option to ban certain weapons,add thrid party anti-cheat, ban players and set own game rules. Dont have any problem with the nuke. Think of CSS - banning AWP, life bans, player and round limits and so on.

for me MW2 is still pretty good, 3 years on.

IWnet is a step in the wrong direction -

Even though i agree with you here.....but 3 years on? MW2 was released November 2009, not even ONE year ago.

uhh mw2 has no team work at all. ur busy looking for your friends cause u spawn in random places. no skill at all i never scope in and jus run and gun soo easy. half the kills you get arnt even your skill just call downs getting u kills. i got taht game when best buy priced mistaked it for 30 dollars and wish i could returnt it or sell it but it gets boung to your steam account.

with blizzard putting a 60 dollars price tag on sc2 the reason im not upset is because they have done this before when wc3 came out it was 60 dollars. and wc3 came out before console games were 60 dollars. and plus its a blizzard game.

They improved hit detection in BC2? I might install it for the 2nd time since I pre ordered it

They improved hit detection in BC2? I might install it for the 2nd time since I pre ordered it

Yep. Big changes from the last patch. Some hate it, others love it. Me and the 3 friends I play with love it.

BC2.

Destructible buildings should be a requirement in all military fps games from here on out.

If you haven't played squad rush with 3 friends, give it a shot.

"You say dedicated servers aside..." yet that is the #1 reason why some people won't play MW2 or don't find it fun. I found MW2 fun for about one month despite the lack of dedi's, but then the lack of dedi's made cheating and aimbots rampant. I could not connect to a single game that didn't have atleast one if not more cheaters on it. Without the dedi's, cheaters couldn't be kicked, banned, or reported while waiting for game patches to address the cheats. VAC was a fucking joke and never eliminated cheaters.

If things have been fixed since then, I may consider playing it again. However, COD Black Ops is due out by the end of the year so I don't see a point. Also, I like the gameplay of BC2 infinitely better despite its bugs.

IMHO, due to game mechanics MW2 is better on console and BC2 is better on PC.

I own both and have put more then 24hrs into both. MW2 is more fun, I also enjoy being able to customize my class more in MW2.

I don't mind the whole relocating servers in the middle of the game thing but not being able to pick what map I want to play is retarted.

I have played both games a lot (BFBC2 > 200hrs and MW2 > 450hrs), and really enjoy both, but for some reason MW2 is more attractive when it comes to playing with a group of friends. Unfortunately I cannot tell you why we play MW2 more than BFBC...we just do :rolleyes:

I like BC2 better because of the squad-based gameplay; I feel like it offers more options for a group of friends who want to have fun together. I also prefer the larger levels and vehicle combat. I wish BC2 was a little closer to BF2, but I'm hoping BF3 will make up for lost ground in that regard.

MW2 would be fun with 80 FOV. I can't play any game which locks you to a shitty 60 FOV.

At the risk of sounding like a manby-pandy pussy, I would say I like both games, but both are very flawed. This is how I see it:

PROs:

MWF2:

Better Graphics
Tighter controls
More "Run and Gun Fun"

BF2BC:
Bigger Maps
Dedicated Servers
Working harder for your perks is more rewarding
Vehicles
Teamwork (albeit not enough sometimes....)

Huh? Better graphics than BC2? No way in hell. BC2 graphics are SO much better than MW2

You can't have a good multiplayer FPS game without dedicated servers, it's such a fundamental requirement to have a good clean connection to a dedicated server that any comparison should really just end there.

BFBC2 happens to be a very good game otherwise and MW2 is pretty mediocre (IMO) so irrelevent of dedicated servers BFBC2 is better anyway. BFBC2 at least brings something new to the table which affects gameplay in a very real way, MW2 couldn't be more generic.

Well, you guys didn't give m the flaming I expected! :)

The graphics are subject to.... subjectiveness. That was just my impression....

I will concede that I missed a few things that other folks mentioned (and thought of others on my own):

If the Single player game means anything and you like to play with yourself, MWF2 wins IMO. The single player missions are pretty challenging...

Destructible environments are awesome.... chalk one more up to BF2BC.

Teamplay in MWF2 is practically non-existent.

Paying for DLC sucks King Kong's balls!!! I forgot about that. Being the cheap bastard that I am makes me lean towards BFBC2 even more....

You can't have a good multiplayer FPS game without dedicated servers, it's such a fundamental requirement to have a good clean connection to a dedicated server that any comparison should really just end there.

BFBC2 happens to be a very good game otherwise and MW2 is pretty mediocre (IMO) so irrelevent of dedicated servers BFBC2 is better anyway. BFBC2 at least brings something new to the table which affects gameplay in a very real way, MW2 couldn't be more generic.

I have to disagree. I actually prefer MW2s matchmaking p2p Multi than having to just ninja join a dedicated server, get kicked by dickheads, or get accused of botting and banned perm by noobs. Or joining half empty servers and everyone leaving, etc etc.

MW2 ensures you are always find decent action with good latency. At least thats been my experience.

Being and old school quaker and living off ded servers, im coming around to not having them and starting to prefer it.

MW2 is a kiddie arcade game and BFBC2 is a game for the older crowd that actually knows what the meaning of teamwork is.. end of story..

I have to disagree. I actually prefer MW2s matchmaking p2p Multi than having to just ninja join a dedicated server, get kicked by dickheads, or get accused of botting and banned perm by noobs. Or joining half empty servers and everyone leaving, etc etc.

MW2 ensures you are always find decent action with good latency. At least thats been my experience.

Being and old school quaker and living off ded servers, im coming around to not having them and starting to prefer it.

lol are you serious? you like MW2's match making system? should say that to all the teams that me and my friends raped to hell.. 4 level 70's on a single team vs a bunch sub 20 level players.. yeah thats a great match making system.. MW2 is a borefest and way to easy to play.. 2 1/2 days during a free weekend double XP.. thats all it took for me to hit level 70..

The hit detection wasn't *bad* before the BC2 patch for me, but I couldn't hit a thing with a sniper rifle to save my life. After the patch sniper rifles are actually usable, although it feels like people can just spam to get kills now with any automatic weapon.

I've actually had a few instances since the patch where I've shot at a guy and *clearly* missed (close range with a shotgun), but I still got credited the kill because he was standing there a quarter second ago.

As for BC2 vs MW2, depends on the type of game you want. MW2 can give you the 'one man army' arcade feel with little downtime which is good for some mindless fun. BC2 requires a bit of active thought and planning to be successful.

BC2 by far.

MW2 is the same simple dynamic as all of the previous CoDs. BC2 is so versatile in nature. You can alter you playing style according to your talents by classes. Sniping is actually sniping, bullet drop and all. The maps are MUCH MUCH larger. There are large assortments of vehicles to be utilized. Squads actually serve a purpose.

BC2 is just a better game

MW2 is a kiddie arcade game and BFBC2 is a game for the older crowd that actually knows what the meaning of teamwork is.. end of story..

lol are you serious? you like MW2's match making system? should say that to all the teams that me and my friends raped to hell.. 4 level 70's on a single team vs a bunch sub 20 level players.. yeah thats a great match making system.. MW2 is a borefest and way to easy to play.. 2 1/2 days during a free weekend double XP.. thats all it took for me to hit level 70..

If i didnt have to deal with BFBC2s shit lag banding issues that have been an issue even on servers i have 15 pings too, maybe i wouldnt think that. But some matchmaking is better than NO matchmaking imo.

BFBC2 could be far better than MW2 if it wasnt for the shit latency issues and shit hit box issues. I enjoy BFBC2 quite a bit, but if i was left with one choice, it would be MW2 w/o a second thought at this point.

I never played MW2 but I played the hell out of BC2 for a few months but I have stopped completely. The game is just WAY to shallow and too much point and shoot for me. For me I just like semi more realistic flavor of BF2/2142 and the much more open feel of the maps. BC2, maps are just too enclosed and small to deal with vehicles and the infinite accuracy of all the weapons. Being sniped by a shotgun from 500m just isn't fun.

I 100% disagree.... I found BFBC2 to have a lot of depth, and be fun for a long while now (I have played since the pre-order "beta"). The maps are pretty big in Conquest, Rush mode is fun as heck, and the vehicles + destructibles are quite enjoyable. I like the depth of the game with spotting, vehicles, cover, destructible cover, the objectives, etc... gunplay is good, not Counterstrike-level good but certainly had enough depth between the proper recoil and tapping + aiming + smoke grenades + etc. I've never been sniped by a shotgun in this game... as far as vehicles, teamwork for the win?

As far as Modern Warfare 2, I haven't owned it (I have played it at other people's places) and found it to be pretty bad in general. Primary annoyances were unrealistic/lack of recoil, horrid matchmaking system, and general lag + small size of matches in terms of # of players.

Matchmaking can work with dedicated servers as well as P2P, there's no excuse for MW2 to drop dedicated servers other than it's one step closer to the console version and cheaper to develop.

The idea of having good latency to someone elses PC as a "server" is laughable at best, especially so for competative play xD

Back