Prey won't run on Linux through PlayOnLinux

There's not much to ask here except why and why are there no error messages? Basically I just came here to say:

Not much else to say really if you were expecting more and if you were then were you expecting me to fix it because I'm not.

There's not much to ask here except why and why are there no error messages? Basically I just came here to say:

Not much else to say really if you were expecting more and if you were then were you expecting me to fix it because I'm not.

Whenever I need to see error messages on Linux, I launch programs from the command line (Konsole) and that way all the debug output shows up. Have you tried?

For games Windows is still the best tool. Playonlinux is going to drop your framerates by 50% or more even if you get it to work.

IIRC crossover linux is just playonlinux with paid support.

For games Windows is still the best tool. Playonlinux is going to drop your framerates by 50% or more even if you get it to work.

Thanks, but I'm not installing Windows again right now on my laptop until I have time to redo my system and it's not the middle of a semester. Of course PlayOnLinux is going to drop framerate by 50% or more even if I get it to work. The question is why do I have to run games through it at all when there is an official Steam version for Linux that doesn't need to use wine to trick the Windows version into running on Linux, like PlayOnLinux does.

Thanks, but I'm not installing Windows again right now on my laptop until I have time to redo my system and it's not the middle of a semester. Of course PlayOnLinux is going to drop framerate by 50% or more even if I get it to work. The question is why do I have to run games through it at all when there is an official Steam version for Linux that doesn't need to use wine to trick the Windows version into running on Linux, like PlayOnLinux does.

I'm confused, weren't you the one that asked the original question as to why the game won't run under Wine?!

I'm confused, weren't you the one that asked the original question as to why the game won't run under Wine?!

I see what you mean, but I'm asking why I even need to run games through PlayOnLinux instead of Play a true Linux Port. I know what needs to happen the game needs to be ported officially to Linux, but that will never happen because making games for Windows is easier and Most Ports for Linux don't run so well natively considering OpenGL is a mess and needs rewritten. I'm also aware that OpenGL is being rewritten as Volkan though, but wheter or not well see more popular Windows Games on Linux remains to be seen let alone this game.

I see what you mean, but I'm asking why I even need to run games through PlayOnLinux instead of Play a true Linux Port. I know what needs to happen the game needs to be ported officially to Linux, but that will never happen because making games for Windows is easier and Most Ports for Linux don't run so well natively considering OpenGL is a mess and needs rewritten. I'm also aware that OpenGL is being rewritten as Volkan though, but wheter or not well see more popular Windows Games on Linux remains to be seen let alone this game.

In my experience games downloaded via Steam under Linux run fine, however I am running Nvidia hardware with Nvidia drivers. Have you even tried to download the game and play it natively?

There's nothing wrong with OpenGL, it's hardly a mess.

In my experience games downloaded via Steam under Linux run fine, however I am running Nvidia hardware with Nvidia drivers. Have you even tried to download the game and play it natively?

There's nothing wrong with OpenGL, it's hardly a mess.

You're the only one I've noticed say that so far. I want to agree with you because if OpenGL were a mess then good programmers, such as John Carmack and the rest of id could not have brought us such classic games as they did and many other companies could not have written great things in it. Also, I think OpenGL would not have help Nintendo 64 and Silicon Graphics succeed back in those days of Oynx work stations and the N64. SGI probably wouldn't be around today if OpenGL were really a mess unless they knew this and planned to redo it all along with Vulkan. Whatever, the reason it was said to be a mess I feel I need to learn to program in it to see what they mean for myself and I must say I'm excited just thinking about programming with the API despite any problems it may have. I do want to point out though that the latest version of Shadow Warrior does run very slow for some reason, but I'm not sure if it's just in Linux for me or if it has something to do with using Quadro Graphics with my laptop and older Geforce GTX 760 on my desktop.

Hi All

I've had great success using Crossover Linux ( CrossOver runs the Windows software you need on Mac and Linux.).

Thanks. This was helpful and I'll have to get around to trying this software, but I use PlayOnLinux because it's free and can be installed through repositories. I think PlayOnLinux probably follows Richard Stallman's philosophy more as well, but sometime a non-free or paid supported program in necessary because the support is there and they are easier to use considering these maybe written better or don't require as much tinkering to get something to work.

You're the only one I've noticed say that so far. I want to agree with you because if OpenGL were a mess then good programmers, such as John Carmack and the rest of id could not have brought us such classic games as they did and many other companies could not have written great things in it. Also, I think OpenGL would not have help Nintendo 64 and Silicon Graphics succeed back in those days of Oynx work stations and the N64. SGI probably wouldn't be around today if OpenGL were really a mess unless they knew this and planned to redo it all along with Vulkan. Whatever, the reason it was said to be a mess I feel I need to learn to program in it to see what they mean for myself and I must say I'm excited just thinking about programming with the API despite any problems it may have. I do want to point out though that the latest version of Shadow Warrior does run very slow for some reason, but I'm not sure if it's just in Linux for me or if it has something to do with using Quadro Graphics with my laptop and older Geforce GTX 760 on my desktop.

OpenGL is not a mess. OpenGL driver support, however, is a mess in many cases.

I've had no real issues playing linux games via steam. Nvida GTX 680...

I've had no real issues playing linux games via steam. Nvida GTX 680...

Nvidia is currently the only brand that works ok with linux. AMD dropped the fglrx support entirely so any new distro with X.org 1.18 or newer is not supported.

Nvidia is currently the only brand that works ok with linux. AMD dropped the fglrx support entirely so any new distro with X.org 1.18 or newer is not supported.
Mesa 13.x has really brought up the performance and bug fixes for AMD. At least in my experience with an R9 290. I now don't even need launcher overrides to get Shadow of Mordor to render correctly, soo. Progress!

Spent the first part of Thanksgiving slaying the crap out of some Uruks. :D

Mesa 13.x has really brought up the performance and bug fixes for AMD. At least in my experience with an R9 290. I now don't even need launcher overrides to get Shadow of Mordor to render correctly, soo. Progress!

Spent the first part of Thanksgiving slaying the crap out of some Uruks. :D

Nevermind because I got it installed witn wine from the original game disc and it ran, but it's no better than the Windows, because instead of having the problem of FRAPS not being able to record the sound when OpenAL is turned on now I can't use OpenAL for some reason. Therefore, I will not be able to do what I wanted to do, which was record the sound with OpenAL turned on using recordmydesktop to demonstrate OpenAL's effects in my youtube videos.

Back