Prey demo on 21st

My understanding is that it will also hit xboxlive at the same time. I honestly can't wait as i've had it pre-ordered since Jan.

I can't wait for this demo. I'm really interested in seeing if anyone can make a game based off the Doom 3 engine with original gameplay. Don't get me wrong, Doom 3 and Quake IV were fun, but they didn't really bring anything new to the FPS genre. I'm really hoping Prey will do just that.

I'll be downloading the demo for both PC and Xbox 360. I don't think it's going to run very well on my desktop or laptop, so I may have to stick with the Xbox 360 version when it comes out. I'd much rather play it on PC though, so here's to hoping it doesn't need too much a crazy pimped out machine to run well.

prey demo this week woot, i've been waiting for a month now since they announced the demo release date, i cant imagine what multi will be like

Man, I can't wait for this game its like Turok, Quake and Doom all in one.

looks like it will be a failure...just another first person shooter with a twist.

zero002021 said:
I can't wait for this demo. I'm really interested in seeing if anyone can make a game based off the Doom 3 engine with original gameplay. Don't get me wrong, Doom 3 and Quake IV were fun, but they didn't really bring anything new to the FPS genre. I'm really hoping Prey will do just that.

I'll be downloading the demo for both PC and Xbox 360. I don't think it's going to run very well on my desktop or laptop, so I may have to stick with the Xbox 360 version when it comes out. I'd much rather play it on PC though, so here's to hoping it doesn't need too much a crazy pimped out machine to run well.

Well how well do you run Doom 3 and Quake 4? Im guessing the performance would be similar or a little worst.

Lazy_Moron said:
Well how well do you run Doom 3 and Quake 4? Im guessing the performance would be similar or a little worst.

Well I used to run Doom 3 on my desktop using a P4 2.0 GHz, 512 MB RAM, and a GeForce FX 5200, at 640x480 low settings. I have since then upgraded to a P4 3.2 GHz, 1 GB RAM, and an ATI 9800 Pro, and now I can run Doom 3 and Quake 4 at around 800x640 and 1024x768 depending on how I set the other graphics options.

If Prey will run at 1024x768 I'm fine with that. At 800x640, it'll depend on how well it looks (not too many jaggies I hope). My LCD is good at scaling down so games don't look bad when at non-native resolutions.

I know, I need a new PC, but I'm waiting for all the new hardware that's coming out before I build my next rig.

johnnq said:
looks like it will be a failure...just another first person shooter with a twist.

ha ha lolz it will be a failure becauze it is just a game! We already have games lolz!

... :rolleyes:

johnnq said:
Wonderful logic. An FPS game with some new ideas added in. Yup, must mean it'll be a failure. I guess that means games like Jedi Outcast and Deus Ex are failures too because of employing other things than run and gun gameplay. :rolleyes:

The wallwalking could really suck ass, true. However, I think that's one thing that's never really been tried before. I'm certainly excited about this game mostly because it's a new FPS game. The extra stuff is more of a bonus. I'm just happy for a new SP game. I'll have to jump on the demo.

^^ Not quite. Alien Vs Predator 1 had the Alien with wall walking ability. My friend was quite good at it during multiplayer and if you know how to use it, it was dangerous.

johnnq said:

Yeah, and you must be someone on the inside to just know that this game will be a failure.

For me, i'm hoping that the frame rates will be much better running in HD than Quake 4 on the X360.

junehhan said:
Yeah, and you must be someone on the inside to just know that this game will be a failure.

For me, i'm hoping that the frame rates will be much better running in HD than Quake 4 on the X360.
lolz me too.

i read on gamespot that they reworked the doom3 engine to use direct3d instead of opengl for this game and that it runs much nicer on the 360

GameSpot said:
For those who were dismayed at the poor performance of Quake 4, the last Doom 3 engine game to hit the Xbox 360, take heart: even in its unfinished state, Prey was running nice and smooth in 720p and played well with Halo-style controls. Luckily, the developer has essentially gutted the engine's graphics subsystem and rewritten it to use Direct3D instead of OpenGL, resulting in vastly improved performance over Quake 4.
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/prey/news.html?sid=6149389

yeah, looking forward to this demo!! :D

been playing so much Oblivion, this will be a nice switch.

I just hope this ol' 6800 GT will be able to cut it for this game and for the other pre-Vista PC games I plan to get.

mentok1982 said:
I just hope this ol' 6800 GT will be able to cut it for this game and for the other pre-Vista PC games I plan to get.

Its running on the Doom 3 engine, you'll be plenty ok.

theNoid said:
Its running on the Doom 3 engine, you'll be plenty ok.

I know that, but there are some effects and physics stuff that did not appear in Doom 3 and Quake 4.
Also I have a new monitor and I will probably want to run it at a higher res.

Hmm, that makes me a bit happy then! I just can't wait for the demo to become available. I'm a run and gun FPS gamer, and i'm going through withdrawel with the lack of shooter games that have been out lately.

Zinn said:
lolz me too.

i read on gamespot that they reworked the doom3 engine to use direct3d instead of opengl for this game and that it runs much nicer on the 360

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/prey/news.html?sid=6149389

Wallwalking worked quite well in Natural Selection, imo. I, too look forward to the demo, it seems *interesting* to say the least, but I hope my poor vanilla 6800 is up to the task.

FUCK YEA ! Its the 21st. Wheres my demo!? 12:30AM on the 21st. I MUST PLAY IT. OWNAGE....OF NOOBS!

edit: awwww. just read the time its getting released

Eagle156 said:
New DOD:S mode and maps come out around the same time too. Good times :D

28th for the dod update.

"The next big update coming to our multiplayer games will include two completely new maps for Day of Defeat: Source, named Colmar and Jagd. (Long-time Day of Defeat players will recognize the name Jagd, but the name is really all the new map shares with its predecessor.) Both maps will have slightly differing takes on a new gameplay style we're calling "Detonation". Both will be released on the 28th of June, along with other updates to the game itself. "

Will the d/l servers be as slow as when the BF2 demo came out? If so I'll pass for a few days.

Back