Prey 2017 Demo to Consoles First

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
This does not make me feel too good about the PC version of this game, but that is just a gut reaction. Bethesda has been on a tear lately with DOOM and Fallout 4, and I would expect that Prey would be no different. However, unless you are a console peasant, you are out of luck today.

Check out the video.

WHAT IS PREY? Aliens have taken over the space station, and only you can stop them. Or, make that Yu. On May 5, 2017, Prey releases on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC – and, as Morgan Yu, you’ll be mankind’s only hope to stop the Typhon threat from destroying humanity. Prey is the latest game from Arkane Studios, the team behind the multi-award-winning Dishonored series. Watch the latest trailer to get a deeper look at the Typhon aliens, Morgan’s unique powers and weapons, and the Talos I space station itself.

This was mentioned in another thread, but if you grab it on Steam, and don't like it you can just return it. So, a demo isn't really all that helpful. I think it's going to be excellent, but we'll see. It's also still available rather cheaply for the PC as well right now. (but then you don't have the refund option)

I watched some play throughs for this game from a console release. I was not impressed. I really wish they would of followed through from the first game. Copying Dead Space and System Shock is a good concept but overall is just lazy.

Reactions: dgz
like this
This was mentioned in another thread, but if you grab it on Steam, and don't like it you can just return it. So, a demo isn't really all that helpful. I think it's going to be excellent, but we'll see. It's also still available rather cheaply for the PC as well right now. (but then you don't have the refund option)

I think I snagged it for $28 on cdkeys so no regrets.

I watched some play throughs for this game. I was not impressed. I really wish they would of followed through from the first game. Copying Dead Space and System Shock is a good concept but overall is just lazy.

Huh? Not sure where you got Dead Space from. The entire demo feels like Bioshock to me.

It's in space with monsters trying to kill you. Bioshock was always on a planet or in the clouds.

I watched some play throughs for this game. I was not impressed. I really wish they would of followed through from the first game. Copying Dead Space and System Shock is a good concept but overall is just lazy.

There has to be more to it than that. The feature videos showed you being able to turn into all kinds of random objects like cups to get through certain places and there were a shit ton of cool unlocks and RPG elements.

It's in space with monsters trying to kill you. Bioshock was always on a planet or in the clouds.

Being in space and having monsters does not mean its Dead Space. It looks and feels nothing like Dead Space. On the other hand it feels VERY much like Bioshock, just set on a different planet.

'Console only' first release systemically indicates ( yet) a(nother) dumbed down game "eased" into a poor rendition of the original concept to 'appeal to' ( a hypothetically , AND PARASITIC, expanded dollar base ) that does not have the intellect and reflexes to handle real time combat against mouse and keyboard speed and accuracy ,the combination of which made the first ( in this case, on the rail shooter ) 'fun'. plus...god forbid, Bethesda, or any major game corp , introduce new ( or even proven good old ones ) concepts, tatics, logistics , that might stimulate beyond the "mash button now" screen flash.

'Console only' first release systemically indicates ( yet) a(nother) dumbed down game "eased" into a poor rendition of the original concept to 'appeal to' ( a hypothetically , AND PARASITIC, expanded dollar base ) that does not have the intellect and reflexes to handle real time combat against mouse and keyboard speed and accuracy ,the combination of which made the first ( in this case, on the rail shooter ) 'fun'. plus...god forbid, Bethesda, or any major game corp , introduce new ( or even proven good old ones ) concepts, tatics, logistics , that might stimulate beyond the "mash button now" screen flash.

This is the most arrogant "PC Master Race" comment I have ever read. Go back to Reddit.

well the PC release date wasn't pushed back, no pc demo could be related to logistics or time constrained rather than technical, we have 1 week left anyway, we shall see, besides usualy the game needs to be gameworks for it to have technical issues :D

No PC demo until after launch because the dev is afraid that the demo will get ripped apart and datamined. BioWare did the same thing with Andromeda's MP demo.

Though that got shelved for consoles too, eventually.

A representative for Bethesda told Polygon that save files from the demo will not carry over to the full game. As for the lack of a PC version, the representative said, “We appreciate the enthusiasm in the PC community for Prey, and the interest in a PC demo. The team at Arkane has been fully focused on optimizing and finalizing the PC version of the game. We aim to deliver the best PC experience to our fans — and are hard at work to do just that.”

Given that the game is due to be released May 5th.. that worries me. Sounds like a poorly done broken PC Port from the comment above. This may not be the case but that is 1 week from now and they haven't finalized the PC version?

You know where you are right?
I do but doesn't mean people need to be arrogant dicks. Console are not the reason games are getting dumb down. It's this generation of kids that are dumb down. They don't want complex games. It is what sells oc or console.

I do but doesn't mean people need to be arrogant dicks. Console are not the reason games are getting dumb down. It's this generation of kids that are dumb down. They don't want complex games. It is what sells oc or console.

I would disagree, though I'd say consoles are part of the reason games get dumbed down. UI has been getting dumbed down for consoles forever due to lack of proper controls. Player base is surely the chief reason but perhaps dev laziness is also a reason. As long as people keep buying that stuff, why would they bother trying harder?

There is reason for anger and frustration. I know it appears arrogant. Please realize this is a culmation over the years of consolitis creeping into our world.

People are tired of being treated to leftovers and slapped together shit which does not play to the PCs capabilities. Frustrated is an understatement.

People are tired of being treated to leftovers and slapped together shit which does not play to the PCs capabilities. Frustrated is an understatement.

I believe that situation has improved. Most top tier PC games offer a good amount of user settings to scale to the system. Scaling to hardware well is what makes a good PC game because most PC gamers don't have uber systems and indeed console level performance is all their PCs are capable of giving with a good experience. If game has a good set of graphics options, the ability to disable v-sync and the ability to remap controls, recognizes wide display settings, I think that gets the important PC centric elements done.

It is not just the ability to change settings. It is the gameplay. The dedicated servers. All which are lacking. Take cod2 for example. I played for years on a specific server. It had ever evolving mods but a stable player base. People I played with a lot and were good. It is akin to being able to visit your favorite bar and seeing familiar faces. Now? Pffft. Random shit heads.

It is not just the ability to change settings. It is the gameplay. The dedicated servers. All which are lacking. Take cod2 for example. I played for years on a specific server. It had ever evolving mods but a stable player base. People I played with a lot and were good. It is akin to being able to visit your favorite bar and seeing familiar faces. Now? Pffft. Random shit heads.

Sorry, didn't mention servers here, Prey is single player so no impact to it but I agree.

Anyone played this on a console?
Is it any good?

.............and yes, Kyle would be the Popester.............

Anyone played this on a console?
Is it any good?

.............and yes, Kyle would be the Popester.............

I was less than impressed with it. Graphically it looks great, the areas seem well designed. Outside of that I have nothing good to say. The voice acting is meh, at best. The monster designs that were in the demo are alright, but nothing amazing. The gameplay feels very meh. The guns are not fun to use. Everything about the controls feels off. I can't put my finger on why exactly but it just doesn't feel great. The entire game has that "off" feeling to it. Arcane was clearly trying to take a Bioshock formula and they did nothing with that formula except put you in a space station instead of on Earth and it doesn't hit the right notes. I said the game is pretty and the levels are well designed but there is no identity to the world or the game. It is a generic space station with good graphics. There is nothing in the game that feels like it stands out. I wouldn't call anything bad but its just there, a game that exists and doesn't attempt to do anything except wholesale copy from other franchises without making any changes. Even the writing feels ripped off from a million other science fiction stories and slapped together.

That's not true. You can't have the same complexity in a game on a console purely due to the control and viewing constraints. Big text, no point and click, inherently limits the options.

I'd have zero problems with the consoles if they'd allow me to play using kb/mouse with them.

That doesn't make Kyle the pope, does it?

I guess he needs a theme song. I'm not sure how it works in the US, do a bunch of you have to select "PC master race" as your religion in a census or something... before Kyle can refile his corp information and stop paying taxes ?

Reactions: dgz
like this
I would disagree, though I'd say consoles are part of the reason games get dumbed down. UI has been getting dumbed down for consoles forever due to lack of proper controls. Player base is surely the chief reason but perhaps dev laziness is also a reason. As long as people keep buying that stuff, why would they bother trying harder?

also the march to a bigger user base has dumb it down across the board..

That doesn't make Kyle the pope, does it?

He aint? well crap, i listen to him more than the pope..

I guess he needs a theme song. I'm not sure how it works in the US, do a bunch of you have to select "PC master race" as your religion in a census or something... before Kyle can refile his corp information and stop paying taxes ?
I am really liking where this is going. Prince and less taxes. I'm in.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
This is the most arrogant "PC Master Race" comment I have ever read. Go back to Reddit.
go to reddit and search 'silverlok' you will see one of the most arrogant posts one can make , attitude about somene else's attitude is not a (solid) disparigment, but a disagreement.

if you disagree with my comment prove me wrong

I gave it a go on PS4.

It is just... well, it is interesting.

The controls are slow, a mouse/keyboard will make things a lot easier, the way the mimics move is hard to track them with a stick.
The graphics are good, and the basic premise has me intrigued to see what lies ahead... but not curious enough to buy it day one.

I'm going to wait until it is on sale to pick it up.

Back