Finally...

Now we're getting what we want.

Copy/Cut and Paste
MMS
Stereo Bluetooth
Search (Spotlight)
Landscape typing for everything

Grrr...still no Flash though.

My iPhone 3G is finally closing in on what it should have been from the start...

All the other little things were kinda meh though. The in-game purchase ability to buy virtual items I think is stupid beyond stupid.

I love how iPhone 1st gen can't use MMS and a few other things and how iPod touch requires $9.95 to upgrade the OS. I wonder if applications built on the new SDK using all the new API's will be able to run without OS 3.0? If they can't that means iPod touch users are screwed and are out another $10.

YAY!!

Now only another 4 months until its actually available.

I'm excited for A2DP, but yes, it pisses me off when trying to find a phone number for that new pizza place in town whose number isn't in the phone book yet, and their website is in 100% Flash.

However, when my sister had her baby this past week, it would have been nice to see the pictures they sent via MMS from a "free with contract" phone on my "$300 with contract" iPhone without having to write down the login information then go to an external website to view the picture. This truly made me hate this phone.

MMS and copy/paste on the iPhone, in that situation, would have been great. It's about time we see real improvements.

If you find yourself taking pictures enough where you need a flash, you should probably be carrying a canon powershot. My 2 year old 6MP SD600 can be had for dirt cheap and can take better pictures then any cell phone will ever take. That is until we see phones with telescoping optics.

I know there are 8MP phones out there, but MP's don't mean a thing with a small fixed lens.

If you find yourself taking pictures enough where you need a flash, you should probably be carrying a canon powershot. My 2 year old 6MP SD600 can be had for dirt cheap and can take better pictures then any cell phone will ever take. That is until we see phones with telescoping optics.

I know there are 8MP phones out there, but MP's don't mean a thing with a small fixed lens.

Stop. Adobe Flash. ;)

Hehe. I think you misunderstood what Flash they are talking about. (Notice the capitalized 'F') :)

I am most looking forward to the turn by turn GPS app. Much cheaper then a tom-tom and always update. Also the the MMS and landscape keyboard is something I have been wishing for since I got my 3G iphone.

I've been trying to get my beta for awhile now. They are getting hammered at the moment.

The Stereo Bluetooth is a welcome addition as well. May have to look into getting a good set of Bluetooth headphones now.

Got the beta. Can't wait to install it.

SDK3 is taking forever to download though.

Edit: Dammit, don't know if I should install it:

Updating devices to iPhone OS 3.0 beta software. By installing iPhone OS 3.0
beta software on your Authorized Test Devices, these Devices are permanently
“locked” into testing mode and cannot be restored to earlier versions of iPhone
OS.

A lot of you guys are complaining that the phone should have had these features a long time ago. Although I do agree to an extent, I must say that I am just glad it isn't a windows device (ie. Lots of features, some only work a little, others crash, and a new update comes out every other week to patch vulnerabilities). Apple has listened to their users and we are getting most of what everyone is requesting, and the things that aren't included have somewhat of a legitimate reason for not being released. Jailbreak it if you don't like the features...it's pretty easy.

With no flash, it'll still be worthless IMO.

Could not disagree any more. Modern HTML+CSS equal if not surpass Flash in all practical use. Fine, you can't load up Newgrounds on the iPhone, big deal.

No Flash today, no Flash tomorrow, no Flash forever.

I Can't wait, but we'll have to wait a couple of months....unless I can get my hands on the developer one. I may sign up...

Apple has listened to their users and we are getting most of what everyone is requesting, and the things that aren't included have somewhat of a legitimate reason for not being released. Jailbreak it if you don't like the features...it's pretty easy.

You gotta be kidding. Apple listened to their users? NO F'n way. That's not the Apple way. People have been asking for MMS since launch and I'm surprised they finally responded.

Having to deal to log into an ATT website just to view a picture someone sent you is fucking retarded. It's about time those goddamn hippy larvae finally implemented a basic feature like MMS.

this sounds tasty..i am up for a new phone. contract is done. was thinking of iphone or BB storm. currently have the vzw pearl.

what can you guys offer as help to decide which.

You gotta be kidding. Apple listened to their users? NO F'n way. That's not the Apple way. People have been asking for MMS since launch and I'm surprised they finally responded.

Having to deal to log into an ATT website just to view a picture someone sent you is fucking retarded. It's about time those goddamn hippy larvae finally implemented a basic feature like MMS.

QFT!

They're not listening to anybody. The iPhone is only now finally what it should have been. In my opinion Apple does this on purpose to boost sales and so that they have something "big" to announce to the world when they really don't have anything big.

Plus iPhone 1st gen users still don't get MMS. Am I glad my iPhone 3G is getting this update? Hell yes I am but it's still BS that we've had to wait this long. I'm in no way praising Apple for giving us this functionality because we should have had it a long time ago.

And we still don't have Flash...yeah that's listening to your users.

All this hate on Apple over the Shuffle and they make so many GOOD choices with the iPhone. Kinda balances out... well maybe not...

Regardless, the iPhone is a fucking amazing piece of technology.

I want to know why the first generation iPhone can't do MMS? Isn't the hardware very similar except for the network they can access and the GPS?

I want to know why the first generation iPhone can't do MMS? Isn't the hardware very similar except for the network they can access and the GPS?

They upgraded the CPU and GPU to better handle apps like games. The hardware between generations is pretty different. I'm not sure what they mean by the 1st gen iPhone being unable to do MMS thanks to hardware, but maybe it refers to processing requirements of packaging the photo and sending it off over the Edge network.

As for you guys complaining that they didn't implement MMS earlier, keep in mind Apple was trying to position email as a replacement for MMS. They weren't incorrect to do so.

They upgraded the CPU and GPU to better handle apps like games. The hardware between generations is pretty different. I'm not sure what they mean by the 1st gen iPhone being unable to do MMS thanks to hardware, but maybe it refers to processing requirements of packaging the photo and sending it off over the Edge network.

As for you guys complaining that they didn't implement MMS earlier, keep in mind Apple was trying to position email as a replacement for MMS. They weren't incorrect to do so.

Apple's hardware excuse is a joke. Phones that were released years ago can do MMS just fine, even with puny hardware. Apple was incorrect for trying to replace MMS with email. They finally caved and announced MMS as a new feature.

It's purely an Apple decision. 1st gen jail broken phones proved that it was possible to do MMS.

Regardless, the iPhone is a fucking amazing piece of technology.
While I totally agree, and I sometimes look at my iPhone in an absolute state of awe for its capabilities, it's admittedly inferior to other products on the market in some respects. Given the amount of money I paid, and considering the sheer talent on hand at Apple, I sometimes wonder why it's crippled merely for what seem like political reasons. It seems silly to me that Apple sometimes chooses to not make the best products one can buy for reasons I can't even fully understand.

It certainly seems as if 3.0 is going to fix the one major gripe I have with this phone -- the lack of MMS support -- so I expect to be a very happy iPhone owner very shortly. Suffice to say I'm very much looking forward to getting my hands on the update.

Updating devices to iPhone OS 3.0 beta software. By installing iPhone OS 3.0 beta software on your Authorized Test Devices, these Devices are permanently “locked” into testing mode and cannot be restored to earlier versions of iPhone OS.

[RED FLAG] Danger will robinson [/RED FLAG]

QFT!

They're not listening to anybody. The iPhone is only now finally what it should have been. In my opinion Apple does this on purpose to boost sales and so that they have something "big" to announce to the world when they really don't have anything big.

Plus iPhone 1st gen users still don't get MMS. Am I glad my iPhone 3G is getting this update? Hell yes I am but it's still BS that we've had to wait this long. I'm in no way praising Apple for giving us this functionality because we should have had it a long time ago.

And we still don't have Flash...yeah that's listening to your users.

I'm by no means an Apple fan boy, but damn people have you taken any form of marketing. This is plain and simple marketing. When you are playing football, do you run through every damn play in the playbook? No, you go with what works and then when the opponent figures that out, you move to something else.

Yes, apple does listen to their users. Now you can receive pictures of your boyfriend's penis right on your iphone! :eek:

If ATT will actually make use of the tethering available with 3.0 I'll finally pick up an iPhone.

It be nice to have a phone that just syncs everything up with my MacBook Pro without some shitty software like Missing Sync.

I'm by no means an Apple fan boy, but damn people have you taken any form of marketing. This is plain and simple marketing. When you are playing football, do you run through every damn play in the playbook? No, you go with what works and then when the opponent figures that out, you move to something else.

Yes, apple does listen to their users. Now you can receive pictures of your boyfriend's penis right on your iphone! :eek:

There is no need for that kind of vulgarity.

By the way, this software update includes certain features that the competition had years ago.

@valve1138 Maybe I don't understand your post, but on my MBP (using OS X) I just hook up via USB and synch with iTunes. Its all included, no third party software. My wife uses Missing Synch, but for her Treo.

Oh I understand what they're doing quite well. Thus why I said what I said. Apple did this on purpose in order to drum up good feelings with those who blindly thing Apple is the greatest company ever.

I'd be willing to bet this was in their development plan the whole time.

And the issue isn't that we're getting the update or the functionality. It's that a lot of the functionality we're getting should have been there from the start. Apple should NOT be getting praised for finally adding Copy and Paste and MMS which is functionality their competition has had for years.

WTF? not true, all they added was the gps and 3g radio.

False. Apple did much more than simply add a 3G chip.

They also upped the specs on the iPod Touch for its second generation, giving app developers a headache when trying to optimize their games.

While all this argument is fine and all, I think the best thing to take out of this is regardless of the bullshit move they are making to boost stock and sales by releasing this updates so late in the game, they could have easily held them back until the next hardware update, leaving us with obsolete hardware. Essentially with these yearly updates apple has been giving us a new device without the need of new hardware.

I am not an apple fanboy in any form, as the iPhone was the first apple product I have owned, but I am truly amazed with the device and style it presents, and happy they are finally rounding out the product to be a truly unbeatable device. I say that because while other manufacturers have come close, no one has matched the iPhone's experience, and with this they are basically slapping them in the face with a big FU.

While my opinion is mosty that, an opinion, I dare someone to name a device that matches the functionality, ease of use, and size of developer support and customer fandom. The iPhone 3G was the only phone to surpass the original, the same might be said for the next generation until others take notes and expand where apple has failed thus far.

There is no need for that kind of vulgarity.

By the way, this software update includes certain features that the competition had years ago.

@valve1138 Maybe I don't understand your post, but on my MBP (using OS X) I just hook up via USB and synch with iTunes. Its all included, no third party software. My wife uses Missing Synch, but for her Treo.

I have a Tree 700wx (windows mobile). In order to sync anything with it I have to use Missing Sync. I tried it out, it sucks. Could never get it to work consistently.

it's about time :) It's sad that users have to resort to "hacks" just to get standard phone features. While I'm a little nervous about updating, the dev team apparently says jailbreaking is still possible after taking a look at the new firmware (which is really surprising)

I have a Tree 700wx (windows mobile). In order to sync anything with it I have to use Missing Sync. I tried it out, it sucks. Could never get it to work consistently.

I totally misunderstood you.

My wife gets it to work alright (treo / missing synch), definitely not as smooth as synching with iPhone and OS X (as I do).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back