Preview: Antec High Current Gamer 750W PSU

Dangman

Ninja Editor SuperMod
Hey everyone,

Last night, the UPS man dropped off something of surprise gift from Antec for me: Their new Antec High Current Gamer 750W PSU! Needless to say, I was stoked to get this. But unfortunately something dawned on me: I don't have the equipment nor skill to properly review this PSU. As such, this is only a preview of the PSU, not a full review. Hopefully y'all are fine with that :)

Background:
The High Current Gamer series is basically marketed towards competitive LAN party gamers who need an ultra stable and ultra quality PSU for their LAN gaming PCs. The last thing a competitive LAN gamer wants is their PSU to pop and die during gaming. As such, this PSU is marketed to those guys.

The flagship 1200W High Current Gamer was reviewed by Paul Johnson a few months ago where it received high praise:
http://hardocp.com/article/2010/10/24/antec_high_current_pro_1200w_power_supply_review/1

The HCG 750W PSU I received is one of the other five PSUs in the High Current Gamer line. Those other PSUs in the HCG are basically 900W, 620W, 520W, and 400W PSUs at a MSRP of $170, $110, $90, and $75 respectively.

Preview:
Here's how the box looked like when it arrived at my door:
IMG_6910.jpg

Opening it up:
IMG_6912.jpg

As you can see, the PSU is surrounded on five sides with a dual layer of cardboard for protection. In addition, the PSU itself comes with a cloth sleeve around it:
IMG_6914.jpg

A better pic of the PSU outside:
IMG_6915.jpg

A shot of the PSU out of the box:
IMG_6920.jpg

The PSU measures about 7 1/8" and comes with a 135mm fan:
IMG_6944.jpg

A shot of the PSU label:
IMG_6942.jpg

As you can see, a total of 750W or 62.5A is available on the combined +12V rails. Each of the quad-rails on the +12V rail has 40A. Specs looks fairly impressive so far.

From the product manual that came with this PSU, included was a shot of the internals of the PSU:
Internals.png

As you may have noticed, the HCG 750W does not have modular cables at all. Which is a bit weird considering that the flagship 1200W version is modular. Odd. Anyway, the breakdown of the PSU connectors are:
- One 24Pin ATX Connector
- One 4+4 ATX12V/EPS12V connector
- Four 6+2 PCI-E connector
- Six molex connectors
- Nine SATA power connectors
- One Floppy connector.

Some early thoughts:
Considering Antec's past PSU releases and the reviews for the flagship 1200W version of this product line, I have no doubts in my mind about this PSU. Assuming that the PSU passes proper testing with flying colors, it'll more than likely be a pretty good buy for the money. The MSRP of that PSU is $150 which means that it'll probably be $20 to even $30 lower a few months after release. Unfortunately I was not told when the exactly the rest of the High Current Gamer PSUs would be released to the general public.

The only real item that's bugging me about this PSU is that it's not modular like the 1200W version.

Thoughts, comments, concerns, critics?

So $150 for a non modular 80plus bronze psu. I don't see the point in this psu at its current msrp. I'd rather spend the $20 or so more and get a Corsair AX750 or a Seasonic X750, and get a modular psu thats 80plus gold rated, or spend less and get something like the Corsair TX750 and a case of good beer. I don't think the red around the fan is helping it in the looks department either.

I hate how antec is pushing for the PSU to be fanside up. They don't even fix the cables to come out of the other side.

I hate how antec is pushing for the PSU to be fanside up. They don't even fix the cables to come out of the other side.

Actually, Antec has designed this particular High Current Gamer PSU to be a perfect fit with its 900 and 1200 series cases, which have no clearance whatsoever between the case's bottom panel and the PSU's bottom panel.

As you may have noticed, the HCG 750W does not have modular cables at all. Which is a bit weird considering that the flagship 1200W version is modular.
There is no 1200W version. The HCP-1200 is part of the High Current Pro line, while this is from the High Current Gamer line. The HCP units are modular, more efficient, and are based on different designs. The HCG line is cheaper and non-modular. The 750W and 900W models are manufactured by Delta and use an older-style independently-regulated design, while the 400W, 520W, and 620W models are manufactured by Seasonic and use the newer S12II Bronze design.

Also, you bastard :p. Mine just got here today. Mind you, yesterday and today I would have been far too busy to do anything with it.
This PSU would work fine in either orientation.
Actually, Antec has designed this particular High Current Gamer PSU to be a perfect fit with its 900 and 1200 series cases, which have no clearance whatsoever between the case's bottom panel and the PSU's bottom panel.
Antec didn't design this PSU, and I doubt it's meant specifically to fit well with those cases considering it uses a completely standard form factor. In fact, the Lanboy Air (their most recent case) does have a PSU vent on the underside of the case.

There is no 1200W version. The HCP-1200 is part of the High Current Pro line, while this is from the High Current Gamer line. The HCP units are modular, more efficient, and are based on different designs. The HCG line is cheaper and non-modular. The 750W and 900W models are manufactured by Delta and use an older-style independently-regulated design, while the 400W, 520W, and 620W models are manufactured by Seasonic and use the newer S12II Bronze design.
Oooh fuck, yeah that makes sense. I kept thinking the High Current Pro and High Current Gamer were the same PSU line.

Also, you bastard :p. Mine just got here today. Mind you, yesterday and today I would have been far too busy to do anything with it.

:D. What can I say? The UPS man loves me. Well I look forward to your more critical eye on this PSU :)

Well I look forward to your more critical eye on this PSU :)
It's unlikely that I will have anything meaningful to say about it, since I also lack proper testing equipment. The best I could do is hook it up to my PC, load it, and take measurements with a multimeter, but even then I would only be measuring from unloaded wires, so any voltage drop wouldn't be represented.

I think the price is 2 high for a non-modular PSU when you can get a

Corsair 750TX for 109.00
Antec TruePower New TP-750: 109 with a 10% off w/ promo code DEANC10

I am super jealous tho I cant afford any of them lol

The MSRP is clearly higher than the price should be, but the market price should be lower once it's actually available. I'm not sure if you can even buy these yet. I just had a look on Newegg and none of the HCG units are listed.

Yeah, as I stated, I did quote MSRP price, not actualy retail price. The Corsair 750TX has a MSRP of $140 and the Antec TP-750 has a MSRP of $160 yet both are clearly lower in price as stated above. So yeah, the HCG 750W will more likely likely be cheaper than that $150 MSRP.

Back