Prevent printer installation over network

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by hiodie, Aug 19, 2012.

1. hiodie

hiodie Gawd

My wife is moving into an apartment complex for school and she has a Brother HL-2270DW printer. Since she only has a laptop and moves around the apartment, I would like to use the wireless on the printer. Unfortunately, the internet for the building is just through wireless APs. I have the printer installed on the network, but my concern is that anyone can just search for network printers and install it. While printing on it won't be useful for them, it could be a good way to waste her paper/toner. Is there a way to prevent users from installing it without being able to change the router settings? I did not see any option in the web configuration. Thanks.

2. RocketTech

RocketTech 2[H]4U

You can require a password to print on some printers, but I doubt the Brother is going to support that. I would look instead at segmenting the wireless network with a bridge and then a router, or both in one using OpenWRT or DD-WRT.
    The other option would be to unplug the printer if not needed. I would segment the network just for the added security.

3. MekoSuka

MekoSuka n00b

I'm not sure about the particular security abilities of that device, but you might want to note that the Brother HL-5370DW printer (same line of printers using the same frontend) actually has a security bypass vulnerability on it which has yet to be patched. I've not been able to verify that the HL-2270DW is also susceptible. Just note that it might not matter if you can apply security settings or not.

4. hiodie

hiodie Gawd

Thanks for letting me know. For the time being she is just going to turn it off when she's gone. I will probably try to get tomato or DD-WRT put in when I have time.