Prevent icons from moving on desktop

John S

n00b
Hi, I am using win10 pro and i was wondering how to prevent my icons from moving on my desktop? thx

They shouldn't be moving on their own. If they are auto-sorting maybe right click your desktop and see if they are set to sort.

Hi, Tried both and they dont work. any d0nt work... anything else to try?

There used to be a registry setting for this - but I think it won't work with Win10 anymore. The problem is when your resolution changes (plug in a projector or something) and it messes up your desktop icon locations.

Can't you just right click on the desktop and click refresh? I don't run Windows anymore, but I'm sure that used to work. It used to be a major issue when I was running multiple monitors under Windows 7 using Nvidia Surround.

God this fucks me off.
I use a general screen for browsing and a TV for gaming, different res so I activate one and deactivate the other.
Also have another screen running a security camera.
My desktop icons shift all over the place when I change screens, often to not even the screen I want them on.
The only way to get them back on the right screen is to move the screen they are on in Nvidia control panel left or right of my main display and they automagically jump to the main screen.

Then they need putting back in position cos they are a mess.
For this I use Desktop OK.
https://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/DesktopOK

Back