Pretty Stumped, GA 78LMT- Usb3, Ram issues

Snappshoota

[H]ard|Gawd
Well I snatched up some old hardware. gigabyte 78lmt usb3 AM3+ with an 8320, and 16 gb of ram (4x4gb). Everything powers up and can run what ever i want. Thing is, Memory test in bios only detects 8gb of ram, windows only detects 12gb with 7gb usable, but CPUZ picks up all 16gb?

Ive changed almost every bios setting with no difference. Checked the pins on CPU.
Heres where im confused as i have never had a mobo with dead ram slots, and im not sure if whats possible.

But since bios does pick up all 4 sticks.. I started swapping them around, and noticed that if i fill just the 2 closest to the CPU, it wont boot, but with all 4 sticks it will boot.

Another question, Im running an elcheapo PSU that came with thermaltake case, it only had a 4pin instead of 8 for the EPS12, could that cause this issue?

Rest of system:
6950 2gb
500 watt el cheapo

Anyone have a clue?

I had a very similar issue with a Gigabyte A88X board, it was completely random which slots worked and when. I ended up just RMA'ing it, they sent it back with nothing done to it saying it was fine but it still had struggles seeing all of the RAM. I changed the CPU and the problem went away.

Does the BIOS show all of the slots populated but only a certain amount "available"? I have screenshots of what I was seeing but I can't get them at work.

When it does its run through of the bios tests when first booting, it shows all 4 slots populated. Thats what gets me. all 4 slots show up in bios, and CPUz, but the main memory test (when you first boot PC) tells me there is only 8gb, and windows says 12gb..

And if its a CPU issue, ill just live with it till i finish my main rig build, this was just thrown together to hold me over till then.

Does it do this? (this is two stick installed in channel A then B - note the enabled sizes):

150808003151.png

150808003018.png

Usually something to do with the memory controller--I'd try loosening the timings, or reducing the bclk if possible.
Edit: Also, make sure all sticks are seated fully--sometimes it clicks, and it feels like it seated, but it hasn't. Removing and reinstalling sometimes fixes it in this case.

Yeah Ive tried every possibility, and just recently today the mobo took a dump on me. No longer loads any HDD connected.. Noticed it was getting slower and slower on boot up. till it told me my Windows needed repair. So i installed new HD, and windows CD, wouldnt even load, just hung up as soon as it tried loading files... Tried HDD in one of my ancient setups, loaded with no issues.. So I chalked it up as a loss, and tossed it to the parts closet.. :(

That sucks. How old is your PSU? If it's pretty old (2-3+ yrs), might consider replacing it.

Back