pretty nice deal on a Lite On LDW-811S 8X +/- DVD burner at Staples

ozziegn

The man behind the curtain...
Staples has this 8X +/- DVD burner which is being reported as a rebadged Lite On LDW-811S.

so here's the scoop:

$154.94 - initial price
--- 30.00 - $30 off $150 Staples coupon which can be found at FW.
----25.00 - MIR

$99.94 after the MIR comes back with paying sales tax on $124.94.

so for me, this drive will cost me $108.69 after my local 7% sales tax and after my MIR comes in.

not bad......

I bought the Pacific Digital just before Christmas so the kids could give it to me as a present. When I opened the box, it had the Lite-On drive inside. There was NOTHING on the burner that had the pacific digital logo on it. the model number and part number were Lite-On labels and it specifically states that it is the LDW811s. Now, PacDigital may put more than one model of burner in their boxen. I can only say that mine was definitely the Lite-On.

Originally posted by Maximus825
Any links to proof that it's a Lite-On?

how's this for proof? :D

LDW_1.jpg

LDW_2.jpg

I'll do some testing in a little while.

Gotta love rebadged drives. Easily the cheapest way of buying good equipment. Great find

Yeah, good stuff. Supprised they don't sell better though. I guess most people that go into a Staples store, see Pacific Digital and figure it can't be good. Only saying this because I have a boat load of these things in stock and they're not going anywhere. A sad sad situation... But the TDKs sell like mad.

-Idler

Originally posted by Idler
But the TDKs sell like mad.

-Idler

the funny thing is that I just took out my TDK 840G (gonna ebay it) thats a rebadged Plextor 708A which tons of people praise and what not so I did some "before and after" tests and found that the Lite On actually ripped a DVD in less time (roughly 8 minutes less) than the almighty Plextor 708A. :D

so, maybe cheaper is better? gee, go figure...

YMMV may vary with this deal.. people are reporting getting BTC drives in their PD boxes as well. BTC is pretty crappy, so be careful.

I found the answer:

If you look at the serial number on the box, the BTC drives start with a P, and the Lite-Ons start with a 4...

Also, apparently Office Max is substituting the same drive for it's Magic Spin 8X deal. So, if you can find an Office Max that is OOS on the Magic Spin, you can get the Pacific Digital for $79 out the door...

Originally posted by ClayDogg84
ive got a newbie question..whats the difference between dvd-r and dvd+...

-2r? :D

eh - some dvd players can only play one - some can only play the other. It looks like DVD-R is going to be the winner of the two - but then again dual layer discs and better are coming out so probably within 5 years they'll both be forgotten.

Back