Pretty flashing lights (Need suggestions for openhouse demo)

moetop

[H]ard|Gawd
I expect I can get a 42" display for this. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might use software wise to display some "cool" looking graphs. It's a large datacenter i.e. several Cisco 6500 series router/switches.

I have full access to all the switches and routers as well, so doing a span or monitoring via SNMP is not a problem.

My first thought was having a diagram of our WAN network, with Sniffer up and running showing the traffic going through to one of our sites in Japan, England and another site in the US. As well as maybe a Ciscoview window up showing traffic meters going through our core.

Most of our corporate tools are really boring. They actually accomplish something instead of let management feel they have control by being able to look at a flashy web page with pretty graphs. Now we need the graphs.

I was thinking of something with MRTG, but that generally looks boring in it’s generic form. Also I dont think it works like a moving gauge so it wouldent be very interesting..

Any suggestions?

SolarWinds makes a network tool kit that has apps for real time monitoring of Cisco devices.

Yes as a matter of fact I'm messing around with that now. It's their Engineers tool kit and it's called bandwidth gauge. I wish we had Orion, but this may suffice..

Anyone else have any good suggestions?

You can get a demo of Orion. We used it at the last place I worked. I works well for trending and alerting. But, it's not a real-time application. For that you need the toolkit.

Driftnet is fun, if not technically productive. Etherape might work too.
-PHiZ

Good suggestions Keep them coming!!

Someone needs to make driftnet for voip. I know you can manualy do it, but it would be neet to see something to do it automated and free...

I use Orion System Manager, and created the maps for the web interface, which was really easy. In our Data Center, we display our Solarwinds Orion maps on a 60" plasma, it looks really cool.

Thats gonna be your best bet.

Back