Pretty dang warm imo, AMD price cuts across the board

Damn, talk about a 100% derail. Still not buying any card until Christmas, but I will upgrade to maybe a 7870. Hope they come down in price by then even more.

These are great prices though and I wish I could take advantage of them now. Must resist urge though :D.

With that processor, you will be close, if not bottlenecking on the 7950. Overclocking might help some. To be honest, you would be better to upgrade your mobo/CPU first, then consider your GPU needs. Otherwise, I would just stick with what you have.

I was under the impression a 1090T @ stock isn't a bottleneck for eyefinity gaming, no?

my apologizes i deserve all the flak

is this for the new boosted 7950? i can't look at the link where i'm at.

I was under the impression a 1090T @ stock isn't a bottleneck for eyefinity gaming, no?

On eyefinity, you may not bottleneck as bad, but almost for certain on the single monitor solution. So, you may be right. Certainly wouldn't hurt to have a 7950 in your rig. Better than X-firing the 6870's IMHO.

Thank you guys, end of page 1 and the entire page 2 was a bit hard to look at, but page 3 is looking better. Thank you for getting back on topic.

i don't hate amd video cards iam all for who ever provides the best deal

seems like the amd cards are a really good deal. right now unless nvidia drops their prices

I'll admit that if nVidia drops the 660Ti price by $50 and still includes Borderlands 2, I'll upgrade and sell my 6950.

Sleeping Dogs is not appealing in any way shape or form.

Has anyone seen ads that bundle sleeping dogs yet?

That is odd, I thought I saw the Sleeping Dogs vouchers being included last week when the 660Ti was released and there were no price cuts. Now I don't see vouchers or promo for sleeping Dogs.

http://sites.amd.com/us/promo/graphics/Pages/sleeping-dogs-terms-and-conditions.aspx
Promotion Period: Promotion begins August 10, 2012 and ends on August 31, 2013 or when supply of free download keys is exhausted, whichever occurs first. Download key must be used to obtain download on or before September 30, 2013, Limited time offer.

To Receive a Download Code: Participant must purchase any one of the Eligible AMD Products listed above. Prior to purchasing, confirm that your retailer is participating in the Promotion and that the product qualifies for the Promotion.

LegitReviews said on 8/20 that the promo will be starting "in the next few weeks":
http://www.legitreviews.com/news/13916/

Last edited:
I was really hoping Guild Wars 2 would get bundled with one of these graphics cards.

I still am actually. I am just loosing hope.

I can see this thread remained on topic the whole time. :p

Nice prices!! Maybe I should pick up a 7850 :)

The overclocking article shows that with max overclocks the 7950 can surpass even an overclocked GTX670 at its Max Overclock.

Signed - GTX670 Owner....

I'm going on a hunch that AMD held back on their HD7000 series. Such high OC capabilities.. although I leave mines at stock speed XD

I like how people always just say "Nvidia drivers better than AMD" but they never give any examples (much less that they have personally experienced).

Anyways the prices have ticked back up a tad on newegg. Now seems 249 for most 7870's and 209 for 7850's prior to any rebates. Still pretty good but for a while they were lower.

I like how people always just say "Nvidia drivers better than AMD" but they never give any examples (much less that they have personally experienced).

Anyways the prices have ticked back up a tad on newegg. Now seems 249 for most 7870's and 209 for 7850's prior to any rebates. Still pretty good but for a while they were lower.

And AMD guys never talk about the horrible drivers instead praise how well the cards may overclock lol. Not everyone wants to overclock so their cards won't take a poop on them. Its going to always happen. I have been a AMD guy and im switching to nvidia to see what all the hype is all about.:D

I have an AMD card no problems.

I think you just dont like AMD.

I also love how everybody always has to happily inform everybody how theyre switching from AMD to Nvidia and post a huge smiley face after. No bias there!

I wish I had a Nvidia card so I could make a bunch of posts about switching to AMD lol.

Also even if you dont overclock AMD cards are currently great value, so nice try.

There's no value in Nvidia cards because everybody like you buys them even though they are worse out of bias. So you get no discounts or rebates. Or very few/little.

Also, I noticed you still dont give any examples. Most of the examples I have seen (very, very, few) involve Crossfire which I dont care about anyway.

I switched from a good-working eVGA GTS 250 to an 6950, as the price was right, and it meant a HUGE upgrade. I would love to upgrade more, but cannot justify the price difference vs. improvement over my current solution.

Thankfully, this is an awesome time for others with aging GPU's to upgrade, as prices and performance are great for the $$$. And, with these price cuts, I would be willing to wager that nVidia will follow suit within the next 6 months.

I switched from a good-working eVGA GTS 250 to an 6950, as the price was right, and it meant a HUGE upgrade. I would love to upgrade more, but cannot justify the price difference vs. improvement over my current solution.

Thankfully, this is an awesome time for others with aging GPU's to upgrade, as prices and performance are great for the $$$. And, with these price cuts, I would be willing to wager that nVidia will follow suit within the next 6 months.

Similar boat. Just OCing the snot out of my 6950 in the mean time. I will probably jump on the 8000 series when they hit.

LOLz, perfect summation of where this thread went:

derailment.jpg

^^^^^^^^Lol. That pretty much sums up in this thread. About 1 out of every 5 posts is "AMD drivers suck, Nvidia drivers never fail". I can't believe someone went from SLI'd 670's to a single 680. SLI can have problems, but the dual 670's are still faster.

Well it's about time someone put out a GPU that's $250 or less. That is a mid-range price. (7870)
I'll only get the 660Ti for $250 or less. AMD has the better price/performance right now.
------------------
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition OC 2GB $40 cheaper than a 660Ti, nice!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102983

Tempting...

What's the current situation with running HDMI to DVI or Mini-DisplayPort to DVI adapters? Do they need to be active adapters to run 3x dvi screens? I'm a 20/30/20 PLP user.

you need something running either off DP or on an active adapter, to do more than 2 screens

zotac has a box that does dp/mdp > dual HDMI that supports 2 screens at 1080p and maybe 19x12

Hey all,

So, would a move from a 6870 to a 7950 be a good enough leap to justify the new card expense?

TIA!
-=TD

Hey all,

So, would a move from a 6870 to a 7950 be a good enough leap to justify the new card expense?

TIA!
-=TD

That would be a three-tiered upgrade, which would qualify IMHO. Provided you could sell your 6870 for around $120, you would be looking at under $200 for a sizable performance increase (as long as your processor and PSU are up to task).

you need something running either off DP or on an active adapter, to do more than 2 screens

zotac has a box that does dp/mdp > dual HDMI that supports 2 screens at 1080p and maybe 19x12

All three are DVI. I think im just going to continue running a 20" off of the onboard dvi. Now just need the sapphire 950mhz or vapor-x to come back in stock at Newegg!

The only thing I don't like about the price cuts are the fact, the value of these cards dropped fast, I would honestly hate to sell one second hand.

All three are DVI. I think im just going to continue running a 20" off of the onboard dvi. Now just need the sapphire 950mhz or vapor-x to come back in stock at Newegg!

active dp adapters are under 30 bucks on amazon, the accell and bizlinks are all certified

I wouldn't f@h on any gpu, that project goes much better on CPU.

Actually from what I've seen, it's the opposite. Some top Nvidia GPU's are faster than a CPU with regards to folding. Although big GPU's do use quite a bit more power than a CPU.

I have for both the 5xxx and 7xxx series but the amd fans start claiming it couldn't be, that amd is perfect and it must be made up. So I don't bother aggravating myself with the trolls, and just post that the drivers stink now. I also mention missing features such as physx and adaptive vsync, Txaa, etc.

And they are flaky while not working for dual link anyway.

My XFX ones are pretty good.....don't really need dual-link though. I think dual link ones are still $100'ish...

Btw, where are all the eyefinity6 cards? There used to be a bunch at newegg and now I can only find 2 or 3.

Back