Presuming I can get a 3080 by Christmas... (GSync / FreeSync question)

DarkSideA8

Gawd
Does it really matter whether the monitor supports GSync? I'm looking at a couple of monitors, one from LG - and afaik, LG only offers FreeSync and not GSync. Two other options, one has GSync and is expensive, the other has FreeSync and is not quite as pricey.

Freesync is fine I would just verify it works ok with a nVidia card (google it).

You can force Gsync with any Freesync monitor as far as I know. Nvidia has certified a number of them as `Gsync Compatible` and some manufacturers list that in different ways. If it lists that then you are good.

You might get flickering if a Freesync monitor had poor compatibility with Gsync so it's best to search specific models or stick to a monitor that has the Gsync module or is GSync compatible.

Any Gsync compatible monitor is certified to work correctly by nvidia. If it isn’t you can’t assume it will work - you should verify with other purchasers. My friend bought a Freesync MSI ultrawide expecting to use with Gsync compatible on his NVIDIA 1080 card. Though that monitor was not listed as Gsync compatible, we figured that was just marketing and it would work. It worked, but not well. He turned it off because it has blinking and glitches and wasn’t performing right.

Generally speaking (there are minor differences in frame rate minimums and maximums to work with it the technology)

A)Gsync uses a physical module in the display for Nvidia cards and specific displays. It adds about $200 to the cost of the monitor.
B)Freesync is a software version of the same thing for AMD cards. AMD started winning points for making basically the same thing as far as user experience for free, forcing Nvidia to try to support it, since the majority of monitors could support Freesync without raising the price. Hence Gsync compatible was born by Nvidia.
C)”Gsync compatible” is a software driver function to work with Freesync. I don’t understand why Nvidia can’t write their driver code to support Freesync 100% - since it’s an open standard, but they don’t and probably won’t - as it’s been years...
4)VRR is a HDMI based standard based more off open source Freesync, but not adopting its name or function exactly. Both AMD and Nvidia should support VRR. It is specified in the HDMI 2.1 standard that the Nvidia 30X0 cards have, and the next gen AMD cards (and Xbox Series X and PS5) will have.

I think the future most common landing place will be HDMI 2.1 VRR. Or maybe the next iteration of display port. I think hardware Gsync is going to cease being an option in the near future as the $200 cost, and extra power required by the monitors Gsync module are both a negative. A laptop equipped with Gsync will have a 1-2 hour battery life, where the same laptop without Gsync module will have 2-3x that battery life — on the same batttery.

Actual gaming experience of the addition of variable refresh rate with any of the four options will be similar enough not to matter.

There are a lot more fine details to read up on if interested. Blurbusters.com has some good detailed info!

Last edited:
A laptop equipped with Gsync will have a 1-2 hour battery life, where the same laptop without Gsync module will have 2-3x that battery life — on the same batttery.

Laptops don't use seperate G-sync modules like monitors do, on laptops G-sync works like freesync

Laptops don't use seperate G-sync modules like monitors do, on laptops G-sync works like freesync
They do, at least the older ones do.

I have one. Alienware 15”

The battery life is very short because of the Gsync module.

Back