President Warns Grads of iPad Perils

Isn't this the same guy who was so attached to his Blackberry during the election? I seem to remember numerous stories about how hard it was going to be for him to give it up.

He ended up not giving it up, RIM setup some sorta special secure version for him.

Look at the title and then look at the content of the article. He calls out several gadgets and several companies, and yet somehow it's all about Apple and the iPad only? And where does it say the information he is talking about is specifically educational or useful information? Facebook, myspace, and blogs give out information every two seconds that is indeed a useless distraction in most cases. What a terrible article, let's just throw context out the window!

Don't judge a book by the cover. Steve included other devices in his OP quote. Read it yourself. It's your own fault if you let the title be your article summary.

The racism is strong in this thread.

He got elected because of race, the schmoe has no political experience, doesn't know WTF hes doing, and hes been patting himself on the back for months for basically giving the insurance companies a sales increase.

I just want someone in office that will help this country, not cater to their special intrests and retirement fund.

Don't judge a book by the cover. Steve included other devices in his OP quote. Read it yourself. It's your own fault if you let the title be your article summary.

Did you even read the article he linked?

So you are saying I shouldn't be a speech writer? LOL. I was just being over the top - clearly a joke.

I know dude. I just think that FEW people can really understand when the ENTIRE world takes note of everything you say and that while if may come off sounding lame, there's a reason for that.

The thing that you might LIKE to say just wouldn't work.

Some of the replies here are quite silly. The president was giving a speech to graduates. He's not giving a State of the Union speech. He was merely warning the students of the pitfalls of technology and it's 100% true. Take off your tin foil hat and relax a little bit. I don't like Obama either, but some of you guys are jumping at shadows.

He also needs to assume that as President, virtually every word he says has the potential to get reported nationwide. Thus he should be very careful about naming specific devices or specific companies, or using his bully pulpit to go after specific people, unless there's a good reason to do so. For instance, right now, BP is in the news because of the oil leak so its perfectly appropriate to talk about them. But if he were to randomly say in a speech that everyone should go out and buy a Mac, or everyone should get windows, I don't think thats appropriate.

He often fails at this, which reflects on him badly as a speaker and president.

A president who gives actual advice in a humourful fashion instead of merely echoing the same useless, feel-good lines. I'm shocked.

I hope we Dutch people get a prime-minister somewhat more like him after our upcoming elections :)

(okay, we won't. But we can hope :( )

Did you even read the article he linked?

My fault. I thought you meant Steve's title, not the Fox News title. Yeah I've read it. It's pretty silly.

from article's first paragraph said:
declared war on technology, singling out Apple’s super-popular iPods and iPads for criticism

from article's fourth paragraph said:
"With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations -- none of which I know how to work -- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation," Obama said

Ahh, overblown Monday morning comments. El Presidente just ruined my life by making those statements. P.S. Buy gold omg!

A president who gives actual advice in a humourful fashion instead of merely echoing the same useless, feel-good lines. I'm shocked.

I hope we Dutch people get a prime-minister somewhat more like him after our upcoming elections :)

(okay, we won't. But we can hope :( )

lol can we trade? we'll, throw in biden too

He's right. The truth hurts sometimes.

Even though i have a good time using these devices for entertainment, i should be reading a book or getting off my ass and doing something worthy.

BUY gold iPads!

We're just never going to get edit on the news thread are we?
Probably not, and I'm the kinda guy that sometimes does 5 or so edits right after I post to polish things up, or if its a hot deal, to add in details, etc. So I feel your pain :)

Actually having some gold just in case isn't all that bad of an idea. We are likely to see some inflation because of all the money that's being printed to cover the massive deficit in the last couple years.

Companies manufacturing mentioned devices going now to suit Obama for harming names of their trade-marked products? :D

He got elected because of party association, the schmoe has no political experience, doesn't know WTF hes doing, and hes been patting himself on the back for months for basically giving the insurance companies a sales increase.

I just want someone in office that will help this country, not cater to their special intrests and retirement fund.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but the Democrats could have put a plank of wood with a face painted on it and they would have won...

Bush's loss of favoritism within the country did more damage to the Republicans chances then anything else. Now that President Obama couldn't wave a magic wand and magically make everyone happy, the country is starting to flip flop again.

Don't worry though, your all just pancakes for both career political parties.

I don't believe any story who's source is Fox News. Anyone have a real news link to what he said?

Uhh yaa maybe you should drop the entire Fox News hate. It's everywhere. Even the AP's written about it.

Actually he probably shouldn't, since the name Fox News is an oxymoron. The fact that they're correctly reporting information (for a change) shouldn't reduce one's skepticism of that "news" organization.

I really just have to laugh at those that didn't read past the news title and come here dropping comments. Are there really that many people that don't even bother to dig in and figure out the context of what was really said? No wonder our politics are so screwed up.

The fact that they're correctly reporting information (for a change) shouldn't reduce one's skepticism of that "news" organization.
All news organizations should have that same skepticism directed at them. They all slant the news various ways.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but the Democrats could have put a plank of wood with a face painted on it and they would have won...

Bush's loss of favoritism within the country did more damage to the Republicans chances then anything else. Now that President Obama couldn't wave a magic wand and magically make everyone happy, the country is starting to flip flop again.

Don't worry though, your all just pancakes for both career political parties.

Meh I disagree I think the republicans could have won had they actualy had someone with any freshness step up ( i dont mean inexperience hello palin). I mean I voted for Mccain but i very much disliked Palin. I think had one of the new guys who will show up in 2012 come in a election early it could have been a different story.. That said the realities of the demographical changes show it will be very hard for republicans to win again because its simply a reality that some groups only vote a certain way regardless of who the party candidate is and that group is having a ton more babies and immigration then the other.

Hey, let's label everything we don't know how to use as a distraction!

Airplanes, tanks, trains, and spaceships, which I don't know how to pilot, are nothing but a distraction!

You beat me to it

Actually he probably shouldn't, since the name Fox News is an oxymoron. The fact that they're correctly reporting information (for a change) shouldn't reduce one's skepticism of that "news" organization.
Most of the articles I've seen at Fox News comes from alot of affiliated reporting groups like the Associated Press. Right now, the whole hate comes from the fact the link Foxnews.com is used to link to a certain article. News Corporation is huge and prominent throughout the world. You're attacking the name because of a few pundits that you really hate on TV but that's what they are, PUNDITS. O'Reilly, Beck, Olbermann, Matthews, Maddow, Krugman, Newsweek, Time, MSNBC, CNN, Fox, CNBC, etc al, are all "pundits" as well. Nowadays I rarely see any news without obvious bias in an article. The Nashville flood was barely reported in the media at the start except for oh right.. Fox News. Until it became more relevant and more worrisome than the oil leak POTENTIALLY threatening coastal regions unlike the already currently and damaging flood in Nashville. The coverage was that bad nationally until oh right The Ice Cream Homeland Security Advisor had to go and "inspect" the region to maintain the face that they're "doing" their job.

none of which I know how to work

instant credibility loss. He sounds like just another old person who doesn't quite understand how it works, and just sees the down sides.

The fact that they're correctly reporting information (for a change) shouldn't reduce one's skepticism of that "news" organization.

QFT. Fox has been found to have too many stretched truths/lies lately to take them seriously, and investigation is necessary. Fox isn't the only one, however...

The problem here aren't the distracting devices, no no - but rather, the overwhelmingly large number of idiots that make up our country.

Did anyone stop and think that perhaps his words "none of which I know how to work" were meant as a joke? People don't really think he was serious ... do they?

Quotes are serious business apparently.

I think he has a fair point... devices specifically designed to entertain instead of create are going to be a major problem if people opt for those over their counterparts. I know if all I had when I was young was a console and not a full computer, I wouldn't have started writing hacks for it and I wouldn't have become a software engineer in a career that I love.

He would just love to tell us how to use our tech, thats all. Re-election cant come any sooner.

I don't know how to use the IRS tax code. Can I label that as a distraction and dismiss it?

You mean his SPEECH-WRITER. LOL

Obama sans teleprompter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omHUsRTYFAU
Yea, Obama actually looks like more of an idiot than Bush without his teleprompter.

Like Bush or hate him, I don't care what your opinions are, at least the guy tried to connect with his audience instead of just relying upon articulate.

I don't believe any story who's source is Fox News. Anyone have a real news link to what he said?
I don't get all the Fox News hate... Seriously don't.
Maybe it's because they're one of the few networks actually willing to challenge and report on some of the crap coming out of Washington? And because of that, they're kicking all other network's butts????

Yea, perhaps they take it too far and make news out of nothing sometimes... But at least they challenge the crap done in Washington.

And no, I don't listen to ANY news because it's all biased... Most news I get is self-researched. But if I were to choose one to listen to it'd be primarily Fox.

I don't know how to use the IRS tax code. Can I label that as a distraction and dismiss it?
:D Excellent
Even the guys administering the tax code don't know how to use it. LOL

Back