President Obama Announces More Key Cyber Security Administration Posts

HardOCP News

[H] News
As part of a $19 billion plan to boost defenses against hackers, the president has created the Commission on Enhancing National Cybersecurity. Today, the White House named individuals from Master Card, Microsoft, Uber, the NSA and others to a commission to strengthen U.S. cyber defenses.

President Obama said, “I have charged the Commission on Enhancing National Cybersecurity with the critically-important task of identifying the steps that our nation must take to ensure our cybersecurity in an increasingly digital world. These dedicated individuals bring a wealth of experience and talent to this important role, and I look forward to receiving the Commission's recommendations.”

This should be just as successful as the war on drugs and the TSA screenings at airports.

"As part of a $19 billion plan to boost defenses against hackers"

Uh, I'm a bit confused here. Weren't they funding hackers by paying them to crack that stupid iPhone encryption? Kind of like Obama giving ISIS weapons then using that as a reason to send troops in against them?

I dont trust information security with anyone who still uses the word "cyber" for anything.

There's a fundamental problem here that you can't really judge the security of a system through high level "commissions". Sure you can recommend things like "hey this department shouldn't be using Windows XP." and "this database should not be storing plain text Social Security numbers", but true infrastructure security is done at the individual code level. Your developers have to write secure code.

When i was working for a govt contractor, the contractor was required to keep up with security patches from Microsoft. It was a really big deal. Like people could come to your desk if you for some reason shut your computer down on patch day.

On the other hand, we as developers had admin access to a heap of services. Most of the devs were too clueless to even realize what they could do. Nobody checked our code. It is trivially easy to infiltrate these systems from the inside (e.g. Snowden).

Back