//\\prescott //\\ need ghetto water cooling

thebro

Gawd
i have no cash [litterally] and need to make a water cooling setup for my rig. luckly my dad has an aquarium so now i have a 275gph pump. i have 2 unused tecs and alot of junk. i was thinking to make an external soluton with no rad. a metal tank with a air cooled tec on the side which cools the water and have the pump inside. now for the waterblock. i have heard of the bottem of the pop can trick but is there any other thoughts? i have a 130w tec that could go on my processer and i have every thing else. does any one have ideas or suggestions?

and i thought my dad might get mad if i tryed my other idea where i redirected the main water line to our house and sent it to a water block before going anywhere else. but you know how people get when you fuck around with their shit.so ya

ideas or suggestions?

hey man, u had the same idea as me!! hook up a waterblock to the main line before feeding it to the house :) certainly u get cool water....but if someone turns off the tap then you're screwed cuz water got no where to go...neways i dunno what you should do with your stuf...i havent done water/extreme cooling before sorry:(

well the thing with the house water is in my house we always have water going and at night the water softener is cleaning itself out. also you could have 75% thermal throttling on and also some heatsinks on the water block itself.

Your not going to get watercooling for free...thats a simple fact.

You are going to need to find some tubing, probably can get an older waterblock on the trading forums for a cheap price. You could try to make your own waterblock, but I wouldn't advise it as odds are you will only end up having a leak and ruining all your components, costing you more down the road.

Cooling the water with TEC's is rather inefficient. Your using a lot of energy to poorly cool the water(The TEC would only cool the water in the resevoir at the edges), a radiator would work much better, and you can find one for free in just about any car junkyard. Just find a heatercore that is in decent shape.

Ideas, you have the pump, you can get a radiator and some decent tubing for free most likely if you look hard enough. Mow a lawn and buy a real waterblock for 30-50$, that is my advice to you.

P.S.
Using the house water would be a bad idea. Most people use distilled water in their setups because tap water has lots of minerals and contaminants that build up, and greatly decrease performance. Hooking up to the main line would gunk up your entire setup pretty quickly.

how i see it... that water runs through the pipes and their not gunked up. so why whould my sytem be?

match point. your serve

You mean you've inspected the insides of all the water pipes in your house? Damn, get something else to do with your time, like get a job!

Job = money = watercooling

well i have worked on our pipes and they do have some green inside but it is very little. i know because i installed out water softener. our house is only 3 years old.

i don't want a job :rolleyes:

lazy=no job:D

Ok, so here's the revised formula:

lazy = no job = no water cooling

The following is only speculation, no facts were harmed during the making of these statements.

That green junk is algae. That's the kind of stuff (along with small mineral deposits) that will build up on your pipes, not to mention your pump (which personally, I think is the real scary part). It's not so bad in your pipes, because the amount of water flow would pale in comparison compared to the amount of flow in a good WC system. Most houses don't do 350 gallons in a week, let alone an hour! :D That pump will do almost 60k gallons in a week. Crazy.

Stop givin the guy a hard time... He doesn't want to work, that's his choice, shaddap!

Originally posted by peteyboy23
Ok, so here's the revised formula:

lazy = no job = no water cooling

The following is only speculation, no facts were harmed during the making of these statements.

That green junk is algae. That's the kind of stuff (along with small mineral deposits) that will build up on your pipes, not to mention your pump (which personally, I think is the real scary part). It's not so bad in your pipes, because the amount of water flow would pale in comparison compared to the amount of flow in a good WC system. Most houses don't do 350 gallons in a week, let alone an hour! :D That pump will do almost 60k gallons in a week. Crazy.

The green stuff is probably not algae, but more likely it's copper oxide and other compounds and deposits. I think algae needs light to grow, and probably more oxygen than is in that water.

Originally posted by zer0signal667
The green stuff is probably not algae, but more likely it's copper oxide and other compounds and deposits. I think algae needs light to grow, and probably more oxygen than is in that water.

im pretty sure algae doesnt need O2

my ideas for you,

dangerden maze4 CPU block, $35, it's on sale at dangerden.

heatercore, steal it from your neighbors car or get one for $30 from dangerden

go get some cheap tubing from a hardware store.

you're set.

Originally posted by boshi
my ideas for you,

dangerden maze4 CPU block, $35, it's on sale at dangerden.

heatercore, steal it from your neighbors car or get one for $30 from dangerden

go get some cheap tubing from a hardware store.

you're set.

you suck at the ghetto.

spir@l block - $25 at dtekcustoms.com
heatercore: $18 at autozone
tubing, clamps, res: $blah at homedepot
res: bottle

im sure that even a kid without a job can find the few dollars for all of that if they REALLY wanted to.

keep coming up with some ideas guys im trying to experiment here.:)

any suggestions?
thx

very cheap W/C rig....although the water cost is gona git you...

Waterblock....tin can block. Forgot who came up with this, but get a tin can bottom, and a sheet of copper...attatch teh can bottom to the copper plate, and make barb openings on it. Also drill for your 4 mounting holes.

Valve to hook into your cold water system...prefearbly adjustable (to cut back on pressure...pressure is bad in this case). Don't worry bout the filter...at a few dollars per tin can waterblock I don't think you'll mourn it's loss.

Now for the exiting water....drain pipe somewhere...easy enough.

There you go, ghetto watercooling....price is prolly about $40 counting the insane amounts of tubing you'll need...either that or move to the basement :D

Originally posted by mustang_steve
very cheap W/C rig....although the water cost is gona git you...

Waterblock....tin can block. Forgot who came up with this, but get a tin can bottom, and a sheet of copper...attatch teh can bottom to the copper plate, and make barb openings on it. Also drill for your 4 mounting holes.

Valve to hook into your cold water system...prefearbly adjustable (to cut back on pressure...pressure is bad in this case). Don't worry bout the filter...at a few dollars per tin can waterblock I don't think you'll mourn it's loss.

Now for the exiting water....drain pipe somewhere...easy enough.

There you go, ghetto watercooling....price is prolly about $40 counting the insane amounts of tubing you'll need...either that or move to the basement :D

40 for THAT? you can get a spir@l, heatercore, and decent pump, plus tubing etc, for around 60-70...

Originally posted by thebro
how i see it... that water runs through the pipes and their not gunked up. so why whould my sytem be?

match point. your serve

Just because you can't see it, that doesn't mean it's not there. Take a tea kettle, fill it with water, let it all boil away, what's left? A bunch of "gunk" in the bottom. Also, can you be 100% sure there aren't any metal pipes that carry the water to your system?
Different types of metal in a water cooling system = Not good

match point. your serve

ok i have seen inside of our pipes! i have installed numerus things[ie sinks, showers, and a water sofener.]
the only reason stuff forms at the bottem of the tea pot is because of distillation where only pure water is evaporated. that doen't happen in pipes but what does happen is the copper oxidises and that is the green stuff you see. also to a minamal extent there are some minirals sticking to the pipes but still.

also distilled water is very corosive and thats why it is often mixed with other additives and other additive are used becasue of the water tension.

anywho... now i have a fish tank in my room and you know what my mother board fits in it.:) :eek: omg what is he thinking you might say.

well since destilled water is non comductive i was thinking of a fishtank pc. it would be hard to pull off. so i am goning to test my idea on a old p1 system.

any ideas on that?

ps: don't crapy my idea. it has been done before for a server but they used some type of cemical instead of water.

pps: RS3RS when i said match point your serve i was being a jackass it wasn't to be rude.:)

brody gant

also distilled water is very corosive and thats why it is often mixed with other additives and other additive are used becasue of the water tension.

I knew I forgot something when I went shopping for my WC system... a biohazard suit to protect me against the distilled water.

go to a junk yard, get a heatercore for 0-5$ make a WB froma 1U heatsink, then get tubing from the store for ~5 bux,

Originally posted by kronchev
you suck at the ghetto.

spir@l block - $25 at dtekcustoms.com
heatercore: $18 at autozone
tubing, clamps, res: $blah at homedepot
res: bottle

im sure that even a kid without a job can find the few dollars for all of that if they REALLY wanted to.

except that my setup would cool way better than yours... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by kronchev
40 for THAT? you can get a spir@l, heatercore, and decent pump, plus tubing etc, for around 60-70...

That would be cheaper if you moved your PC right under the pipe you hook it up to...then it's more like $10 for it all.

Add $30 for the extra 80ft of generic tubing that would be needed to have it anywhere slighly "normal"

You could make a bong evaporator out of a showerhead and a wide pcp tube, both of which could probably be scrounged from a junkyard for free. I also like the idea of getting a heatercore from a junkyard. Just strap it to one of those square floor fans with a bungee cord. Its the ultimate ghetto solution. An old bucket can be your resevoir, you have a pump, so now all you need is tubing, clamps, and a waterblock. You really should consider shelling out the money and buying a used one for cheap. Ghetto WBs usually end up failing and ruining hundreds of dollars of electronics. You can find tubing and clamps for under $10 @ a home improvement store. But seriously, just mow a few lawns and get a real system for like $150.

basicly, you can get everything but a waterblock for real cheap.
just buy the cheapest damn WB you can find, and then just get the heatercore and tubing and stuff cheaply.

I gotta go with skipping the WC, because he's too lazy to get the money to buy WC. The ghetto WC shit he'd put together would probably cool worse than good air cooling.

well i have got some stuff and i'm startong to make it.

i tell you my total cost and have pics when its done

the cold water pipe moethod will do great, but there is a small risk of condensation...especially during the winter.

ok i have seen inside of our pipes! i have installed numerus things[ie sinks, showers, and a water sofener.]
the only reason stuff forms at the bottem of the tea pot is because of distillation where only pure water is evaporated. that doen't happen in pipes but what does happen is the copper oxidises and that is the green stuff you see. also to a minamal extent there are some minirals sticking to the pipes but still.

anywho... now i have a fish tank in my room and you know what my mother board fits in it.:) :eek: omg what is he thinking you might say.

well since destilled water is non comductive i was thinking of a fishtank pc. it would be hard to pull off. so i am goning to test my idea on a old p1 system.

any ideas on that?

ps: don't crapy my idea. it has been done before for a server but they used some type of cemical instead of water.

pps: RS3RS when i said match point your serve i was being a jackass it wasn't to be rude.:)

brody gant

This is why you don't want to submerge your PC in any water.

but that is tap water

totally PURE water does not conduct electricity.

i have heard that in some servers they use some magical liquid or something that they submerge every thing in.

any thoughts

but that is tap water

totally PURE water does not conduct electricity.

i have heard that in some servers they use some magical liquid or something that they submerge every thing in.

any thoughts

pure water will be contaminated and thus conductive after exposure to metal for a while.

The fluid you are thinking about in teh servers is Flourinert, 3M makes it, and it's insanely expensive....people can also breathe that stuff.....taht scene in the movie "The Abyss"....that was Flourinert.

you are correct that pure water is non conductive but unless you have a frieken bio lab at your house you are not going to create PURE water which is what you are going to have to have. Also they are correct in saying that any tap water will wreak havok in a w/c system... I KNOW!!!! I have been down that road. Minerals and alge will grow in a w/ced system and if left long enough will screw up you block and pump. I have seen the results also w/ a 250 gph pump I hope to god that you make your self a really solid water block and res because that is a lot more pressure than you think. I have made homemade blocks and res's and have had about 50% luck w/ both because of pressure build ups YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL if you don't want to get 2 jobs to buy a whole new comp. My suggestion would just be to save and fork over the money there is no good way to gehto rig a w/ced machine in my opinion

i'm planing on doing some extreme tests to the water sys before it goes in my rig. i'm talking chucking my wb to make sure it won't leak

say what?

Yep, flourinert is breatheable. You do have to get past the whole drowning feeling first though. Somewhere i remember seeing a videoclip online of a rat/mouse running around in teh bottom of a beaker full of the stuff as if he was perfectly fine...and he was.

Back