Prescott 3.0E still have heat problems?

Comte

Gawd
I got in on Newegg's Intel Prescott 3.0E 800 FSB for 107.99 weekend special this weekend, to up my computer from the Intel 3.06 533 FSB. Is the Prescott processors still experiencing the high heat as the begining, or have they matured to the point that they dont have that bad a problem anymore.

Yes, I know, I probably need to update, but when I do I will have to do everything and dont want to put out that money right now.

Comte said:
I got in on Newegg's Intel Prescott 3.0E 800 FSB for 107.99 weekend special this weekend, to up my computer from the Intel 3.06 533 FSB. Is the Prescott processors still experiencing the high heat as the begining, or have they matured to the point that they dont have that bad a problem anymore.

Yes, I know, I probably need to update, but when I do I will have to do everything and dont want to put out that money right now.

They have improved, but those are the LGA 775 P4s, not the S478 one your getting. I hate to say it but you are probably gonna see some high temps. It should be manageable though.

I don't understand what you mean by "still". *All* S478 Prescott 3GHz CPUs are and have been 89W TDP: SL7L4, SL88J, SL7E4, SL79L, SL7KB, SL8JZ, SL7PM. The S478 Prescott 3.2/3.4GHz models have been 89W and 103W. I would suspect an inadaquate cooler or case ventillation (or your definition of "high heat") if you have a problem. :p Prescott 3.06GHz chips are 84W-89W TDP and NW 3.06GHz chips were 82W TDP.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ProcFam=483&sSpec=&OrdCode=

The 115W and 130W Prescotts were on LGA775, and were the higher speed models. Almost all of those (except 3.8GHz) were dropped to 84W well over a year ago. I've owned 3 different Prescott chips (S478 3GHz, LGA775 3.4GHz and LGA775 3.4F GHz) and none were over 89W (3GHz, the others were 84W). If you wanted a cool running P4, you should have waited to upgrade to the 65W Cedar Mill-based chips coming soon and bought a LGA775 board.

My overclocked X2 was using at least 125W under full load and case cooling was a significant factor to keep it running at a reasonable temperature with the modified stock cooler (80mm silent fan + 70mm-80mm adapter).

I use the old school S478 3.0E and the best way that I've found to keep it cool is to maintain a good case airflow and the Arctic Cooling Freezer 4. Not only is it quiet but it cools well and it's cheap! :p

I have my 3.0E @ 3.49 with idle temps around 38'c and max temps around 49'c. It's definately the way you want to go if you're into that.

Also the intel boxed cooler kept my cpu at around a 56'c load and a 45'c idle, and it was kinda loud too.

pxc said:
I don't understand what you mean by "still". *All* S478 Prescott 3GHz CPUs are and have been 89W TDP: SL7L4, SL88J, SL7E4, SL79L, SL7KB, SL8JZ, SL7PM. The S478 Prescott 3.2/3.4GHz models have been 89W and 103W. I would suspect an inadaquate cooler or case ventillation (or your definition of "high heat") if you have a problem. :p Prescott 3.06GHz chips are 84W-89W TDP and NW 3.06GHz chips were 82W TDP.

What do I mean by still? Do you not remember the stories when the Prescotts came out about how hot they run? So the question is "still" valid, even though that was a good attempt at obfuscating the question....

Or do you want the dictionary definition of "still"?

In other words, all that crap means "Yes, they are?" Thanks for the clear explaination.

Comte said:
What do I mean by still? Do you not remember the stories when the Prescotts came out about how hot they run?
I'll simplify it for you:

The Socket 478 Prescott 3.0GHz CPUs were 89W TDP when they were first released. The Socket 478 Prescott 3.0GHz CPUs were 89W TDP in different steppings after initial release. The Socket 478 Prescott 3.0GHz CPUs are 89W TDP in the final steppings even today.

"still" has nothing to do with the Socket 478 3.0GHz Prescott CPUs. The TDP for Socket 478 Prescott 3.0GHz CPUs has not changed since initial release.

I hope that's clear now. LOL WORDS :rolleyes:

pxc said:
I'll simplify it for you:

The Socket 478 Prescott 3.0GHz CPUs were 89W TDP when they were first released. The Socket 478 Prescott 3.0GHz CPUs were 89W TDP in different steppings after initial release. The Socket 478 Prescott 3.0GHz CPUs are 89W TDP in the final steppings even today.

"still" has nothing to do with the Socket 478 3.0GHz Prescott CPUs. The TDP for Socket 478 Prescott 3.0GHz CPUs has not changed since initial release.

I hope that's clear now. LOL WORDS :rolleyes:

I had already simplifed it for you with "Yes, they are the same."

Back