Preperation for College

being this ambitious, this young in your education is great. Most kids do not have that kind of self motivation. I know I sure didnt until my last semester at college.

The nest advice I can give you is to not get distracted. You may do poorly on one test in one of your advanced classes, but do not let that discourage you. You may hook up with some cute skirt that likes to take her clothes off for you, but dont let that detract you from your path.

High School and college are not real life. If you go in with that mind set, you should be able to stay focused.

yeah im starting to control lets say "the craving" (lol) for women. Education is now, women will come later.

being this ambitious, this young in your education is great. Most kids do not have that kind of self motivation. I know I sure didnt until my last semester at college.

The nest advice I can give you is to not get distracted. You may do poorly on one test in one of your advanced classes, but do not let that discourage you. You may hook up with some cute skirt that likes to take her clothes off for you, but dont let that detract you from your path.

High School and college are not real life. If you go in with that mind set, you should be able to stay focused.

+1

and since you are taking a path in computing and programming, expect less of the above. lol j/k

There are also certifications for programming! Programming certs are great for showing you know your stuff.

no certificates mean a hill of beans compared to anyone that has job experience

Work on some projects on your own, be able to show an employer/college that you have an interest in computer science outside of academia. Write tools to solve problems, write them in different languages, get involved in the open source community! Even if you don't feel comfortable contributing to an open source project, by networking with the people who do you will invariably learn a lot of cool stuff and make some great contacts on the way.

Be enthusiastic, dedicated, and always network, network, network. It will get you far.

yeah im starting to control lets say "the craving" (lol) for women. Education is now, women will come later.

The best advice that has been pretty much left out of all of this (but not entirely) is to still have fun. Don't be one of those people that say "If I knew then what I know now..."

I'm not advising that you go out on a drunken rampage or anything, but if you are all study, study, study, you will be missing out.

I would take mediocre and happy over elite and dissatisfied every time.

The best advice that has been pretty much left out of all of this (but not entirely) is to still have fun. Don't be one of those people that say "If I knew then what I know now..."

I'm not advising that you go out on a drunken rampage or anything, but if you are all study, study, study, you will be missing out.

I would take mediocre and happy over elite and dissatisfied every time.

Not that your advice is bad, but I personally would advise the opposite. "No pain, no gain..."
"Night life" will always be there, but in the mean time, getting a head start in "real life" is favorable in the long run, imo.

I didn't take schooling seriously back then and relied heavily on my natural abilities. I still end up with a rewarding career, but "what-if" I took schooling seriously?

Last edited:
I didn't take schooling seriously back then and relied heavily on my natural abilities. I still end up with a rewarding career, but "what-if" I took schooling seriously?

Always two sides to each coin. Perhaps in addition to being more successful, you would have eventually taken a nose dive off your hugely successful corporation's roof.

Really though, I agree with the point you are making. You shouldn't jeopardize your life for a little bit of fun now. I was trying to recommend some balance. Reading the posts, I envision an "awkward" guy that is real smart, but maybe shunned by the "cool" kids. I read the "pfft women" remark as a defense to a self-confidence (with the opposite sex) issue. I was just trying to recommend that he doesn't forget to experience being a "kid" while racing as fast as he can to become an adult. You only live once, and there are other important things in life besides your career.

Or not. You're not me, and I'm not any of you. I just measure success differently than how many letters are after your name, how much money you have, and how many people pretend to like you because they want something from you.

Hey now, im quite comfortable with the opposite sex.

I dont pee my pants when a girl talks to me..... most the time ;)

I guess what i and everyone else was trying to get at was dont let the distractions and desires of high school pull down your goals for your future and your life.

im not completely anti social guys cmonnn im just saying that education is more important atm. i put education in front of my girlfriend hahah

Back