Prepare For Titanfall 2 Free DLC On November 30

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

The DLC is just a map from the original game, but I guess I can’t complain about free. We are also getting a shop where you can buy customizations, but I am not sure why editors are gushing over it when you still need to pay up.

Titanfall 2 is about to get its first dose of DLC on November 30 - and like all of the game's planned updates, it's free. The "Angel City's Most Wanted" DLC will add Angel City, a fan-favorite map from the original Titanfall, as well as an in-game shop where players can purchase various vanity items for their guns, Pilots, and Titans. Respawn says it wants to make the process of customizing your look easy and simple; no currency exchange, no randomized loot boxes, no pay-to-win. You see what you want, it costs X amount of money, you pay X amount, you get the thing you want. That's a business model I can get behind.

2. Exavior

Exavior [H]ardForum Junkie

Like your quote states, all DLC will be free. So I guess I can slightly understand allowing you to purchase skins with real money since they won't change the game as a way to make a few extra $$. Just like hats in team fortress 2.

3. ChefJeff789

ChefJeff789 [H]Lite

Just picked this up with the 33% off plus 20% off promo code on Origin (TITAN20 if anyone is interested). My expectations weren't terribly high, but I have to say that it's a blast. Haven't played MP yet, but the free DLC policy will put it over the top for me if it's as fun as the campaign. Glad to see Ubisoft embracing similarly consumer-friendly DLC strategies too.

4. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

I don't really care that much for the MP, but I would pay for more quality SP. The campaign was great but far too short.

5. drakken

drakken [H]ard|Gawd

well a high resolution set of 3D meshes that sit on top of unibodies take about a week to a month to build. depends on the complexity and the skill of the 3D Artist. First you have to find an image of what you want the new outfit to look like or you get a underwear model to stand there wearing something that looks close... some people simply scan the original person with a 3D camera set which takes pictures from all sides to generate a depth map so you can figure out how far something is and what it should like from a different perspective.

So you pay the artist to sit there and build 3D planes that deform to look like how the cloth moves. If the game supports it you have to build the cloth in a off the rack look then have dynamics have to fall against the body and then you either save the animation the dynamics creates of the unibody moving against the cloth or some engines can do that in real time. Every outfit unless it is a re-texture needs new animation data, bandwidth to get that to you, which Microsoft charges the studios for updates or they did before the xbox one, and you have to figure if you can fit the different meshes and textures in memory if say every player chooses to wear something different. Good compression and use of blend shapes gets rid of most of the over lapping content in memory but requires more of the shader and processor, but the game looks better...