Prepare For The Great American Total Solar Eclipse

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Fourteen U.S. states will have the privilege of witnessing a complete solar eclipse on August 21, 2017—exactly one year from now—when the moon will block the sun entirely. The last one happened on February 26, 1979, so this is kind of a big deal. The next similar eclipse will occur on April 8, 2024.

…the sun will be partially eclipsed over an immense area that includes all of North America, the northern third of South America, much of the eastern Pacific Ocean (including the Hawaiian Islands), virtually all of the north Atlantic Ocean and a slice of western Europe. For much of the United States, at least 80 percent of the sun's diameter will be eclipsed by the passing new moon. Some eclipse chasers have billed it as the "Great American Total Solar Eclipse." And a total eclipse will be visible along a narrow track that runs diagonally from northwest to southeast across the Lower 48 — the first such event that's visible for this part of the world since February 1979. It will also be the first time that the path of a total solar eclipse will go coast to coast across the U.S. since 1918.

Canadians, Mexicans and some Europeans however, question not only the authenticity of the eclipse - many claiming Chinese involvement - but the ownership thereof, unaware of the true nature and intent of the Apollo missions. The Americans, in contrast, will celebrate the fruition of a 50 year-in-the-making dream, having placed thrusters on the moon, slowly maneuvering it into place for the August 2017 celebration.

Canadians, Mexicans and some Europeans however, question not only the authenticity of the eclipse - many claiming Chinese involvement - but the ownership thereof, unaware of the true nature and intent of the Apollo missions. The Americans, in contrast, will celebrate the fruition of a 50 year-in-the-making dream, having placed thrusters on the moon, slowly maneuvering it into place for the August 2017 celebration.
Um...OK.

^ Now we will see our plans come to fruition!

rqEGC4.gif

Awesome!!! Should still be a pretty good show for us in MN.

However, anytime something cool like this happens... Clouds, thunderstorms, and rain all day. We'll see!!! :cool: <---Welding mask)

I just need to drive an hour south and I can get the full experience at the centerline!

Reactions: Rahh
like this
Plan on taking a trip up to Oregon to see this bad boy, unfortunately it doesn't pass that close to any large cities, so finding a place to stay might be problematic... but that said I think it's close enough to Portland that I can drive a few hours early in the morning to see it and a city as large as Portland is bound to have availability.

That said, anyone planning on seeing it, buy your eclipse glasses now, don't wait until a couple weeks before because then you'll get major demand pricing (assuming they're available)

I seem to recall a solar eclipse in the early 90's when I was in grade school. They made a huge deal out of it and we were allowed to go outside to experience it emphasizing the whole time "DON'T LOOK DIRECTLY AT IT." I remember distinctly how everything dimmed and seemed to have a slight bluish hue.

This is going to be a total eclipse. There won't even be the "ring of fire" that you get with annual eclipses. Spooky. Can't wait.

Of course this is assuming Trump doesn't blow up the moon.

Plan on taking a trip up to Oregon to see this bad boy, unfortunately it doesn't pass that close to any large cities, so finding a place to stay might be problematic... but that said I think it's close enough to Portland that I can drive a few hours early in the morning to see it and a city as large as Portland is bound to have availability.

That said, anyone planning on seeing it, buy your eclipse glasses now, don't wait until a couple weeks before because then you'll get major demand pricing (assuming they're available)
Just go to any welding supply store and ask for a pair of shade 5 safety glasses. Jackson Nemesis are pretty good, and they are not stupidly priced. I use them all the time with my plasma cutter.

Don't drive with them on. Red lights, like brake and stop lights, are very hard to see while wearing them.

It's Oregon--just bring a tent. You can camp pretty much anywhere, even just a few miles outside of Portland.

I live in the path of totality (in between the lines below) not too far from the greatest duration so I will get a good 160 seconds of view too. Looks like I will need to take a nice 3 day weekend to enjoy it. All I will need to do is step out my back door to see it.
solar-eclipse-2017-usa.jpg

I'm lucky enough to live in a prime viewing area. I hope to fuck it's not a cloudy day.

It's Oregon--just bring a tent. You can camp pretty much anywhere, even just a few miles outside of Portland.
The problem is it's Oregon... I'm gonna be mucho pissed if it's overcast (which unfortunately keeps me from absolutely doing the coast where I have an assortment of timeshare places), plus I'm going to have my wife and baby with me, might not be a fun to camp.

I seem to recall a solar eclipse in the early 90's when I was in grade school. They made a huge deal out of it and we were allowed to go outside to experience it emphasizing the whole time "DON'T LOOK DIRECTLY AT IT." I remember distinctly how everything dimmed and seemed to have a slight bluish hue.

This is going to be a total eclipse. There won't even be the "ring of fire" that you get with annual eclipses. Spooky. Can't wait.

Yeah, I remember that one also. They decided last moment it wasn't safe for us to go outside as they were afraid some little fuck was going to look at the sun and go blind and so they made us stay inside and watch it on tv.

The problem is it's Oregon... I'm gonna be mucho pissed if it's overcast (which unfortunately keeps me from absolutely doing the coast where I have an assortment of timeshare places), plus I'm going to have my wife and baby with me, might not be a fun to camp.

I'm in the UK and travelled to Cornwall (lands end at the south west tip of the country specifically) for the 1999 total eclipse there.
Day before - blazing sun and clear skies
Day after - blazing sun and clear skies
Day of the eclipse - overcast.

It was a surreal sight watching the moon's shadow racing towards us across the Celtic Sea, but still disappointing. Guess that's British weather for you.

I remember that. The neighboring business to the school I was at was the auto yard for the university. They brought us all outside and passed us around the welding mask to view the eclipse. Pretty awesome thing for a bunch of kids and I still remember it some 22 years on.

I see this one will go almost directly over Casper, WY. Should be great viewing there I'd imagine.

I blocked off the day on my work calendar a couple months ago. I also live 'in the band;' looking forward to it!

It's not that great. And it kills CCD sensors.

A word from the wise, buy the special eclipse glasses now. Once it gets to a few months before the eclipse you won't be able to find them.

I will be travelling to America to see it with a group. Somewhere near Cody, Wyoming. Then a trip southwards ending at Phoenix, Arizona.

I saw the one in Indonesia earlier this year and it was awesome - in the proper sense - and a very good excuse on which to hang a holiday.

Would these be good solar viewing glasses for the eclipse?

Crossfire 26116 AF Solar Eclipse - HD Brown / Crystal Brown
Unsure if they're just called a "Solar Eclipse" brand (maybe due to the capital letters?) or if they're useful to protect your eyes, but that page doesn't give any indication to how much it blocks, only an impact rating.

That said like the guy about said, welder glasses can work, however should note that NASA has put out press releases stating shade 14 is necessary, basically if you can see out of them normally then they are not dark enough, you can NOT wearing safe eclipse viewing glasses while driving... unless you own a Tesla *rimshot* :D

I will probably drive up i76 to Nebraska or into Wyoming to check it out. Already requested that day off work.

I will probably drive up i76 to Nebraska or into Wyoming to check it out. Already requested that day off work.

I can't put in for that day off work until the end of the year but i'm sure going to asap

Unsure if they're just called a "Solar Eclipse" brand (maybe due to the capital letters?) or if they're useful to protect your eyes, but that page doesn't give any indication to how much it blocks, only an impact rating.

That said like the guy about said, welder glasses can work, however should note that NASA has put out press releases stating shade 14 is necessary, basically if you can see out of them normally then they are not dark enough, you can NOT wearing safe eclipse viewing glasses while driving... unless you own a Tesla *rimshot* :D

that is like saying you can't text and drive while trying to eat a taco bell taco. Might not be legal or end well but you can do it....at least up until you crash but till that point :)

I can't put in for that day off work until the end of the year but i'm sure going to asap

Tell your manager that you're going to reserve it NOW. Because everyone and their dog will want the day off.

Back