Preorder the New AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper Processors Today!

cageymaru

Fully [H]
You can officially preorder the new AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper 2990WX at Newegg today or Amazon for $1,799.99. AMD's new ThreadRipper model has a release date of August 13, 2018, features 32-Core / 64 Threads running at 3.0 GHz base and 4.2 GHz precision boost clocks.

Unlocked for overclocking

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Going to add more processors as they release to the thread. Check back often!

32 cores, 64 threads. The thing is so huge it's passed my ability to comprehend what a beast it is. It's so big it's stopped being 'ginormous' and become simply 'moar'.

The kids who like big toys no longer have a choice. Sucks to be Intel, 'cause for this market AMD just slapped 'choice' out of Intel's hands.

Only $1,799, nice! I’m not in the market but if I was I’d buy a chilled water loop for it too.

Man, I wonder what windows task manger would look like...
IMG_20180726_153622.jpg

Definitely want to see the single threaded and gaming performance of this thing, clearly it's going to rip the floor in highly threaded tasks.

Greetings from AMD –

AMD today announced worldwide pre-order availability of the highly anticipated flagship 2nd Generation AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX desktop processor from more than 80 global etailers and system integrators in advance of the product hitting shelves Aug. 13. Breaking the single socket world-record for the Cinebench R15 multi-threaded CPU test, the 32-core, 64-thread 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX CPU is designed for professional content creators, developers, and PC enthusiasts.

The 32-core part will be joined by three additional 2nd Gen Threadripper CPUs coming to market in 2018, all of which are built on 12nm “Zen+” core architecture and are designed for creators and gamers.

Along with the Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX pre-sales today, you will begin to see technical coverage of some of these parts, including unboxing videos/coverage from tech reviews press. This will be followed by full 3rd party benchmarking and reviews going live aligned with the Aug. 13 on-shelf availability of the 32-core flagship processor.

They could improve the coolings power to surface area ratio by incorporating the motherboard between core blocks.
Simpler for the consumer!
Downside, a 1ft square heatsink.

I'm hoping to upgrade my system this year from my 2600k > but this thing might be a bit overkill....especially on the wallet. I am eyeing the 2950x though.....

So the guys on here that plan on buying this, what do you plan on using it for, other than obvious my epeen is bigger than yours contest?

Several users are interested in gaming performance.
I can tell you a good friend of mine has the 1950X with a 1080ti FTW3, and he has better performance on his intel system.

Several users are interested in gaming performance.
I can tell you a good friend of mine has the 1950X with a 1080ti FTW3, and he has better performance on his intel system.

While absolutely true, that would not necessitate making the move to the 2990WX though. If you want better gaming performance I would guess the 2950WX is the better way to go.

So the guys on here that plan on buying this, what do you plan on using it for, other than obvious my epeen is bigger than yours contest?

I'm considering the 24 or 32, native real time h265 4k video editing from my Samsung nx1 would be nice.

Definitely want to see the single threaded and gaming performance of this thing, clearly it's going to rip the floor in highly threaded tasks.

My guess is it's not going to be worth $1800 for gaming. Beefy chip for sure and I'm sure the price is good for what it is, but for gaming my guess is you could buy something sub-$500 and get similar results.

My guess is it's not going to be worth $1800 for gaming. Beefy chip for sure and I'm sure the price is good for what it is, but for gaming my guess is you could buy something sub-$500 and get similar results.

As much as I hate to admit it, Intel still has the best game here (so to speak) But if I'm going high end not worried about a few % difference @ 4K if it means I can rip my BluRays at 8x's the speed.

If anyone is using a processor like for gaming on < less than 4K, you should turn in you [H] badge.

How about play several different games at the same time.
You could use it as a UNRAID machine. Dedicate 8 cores to 4 Gaming VMs, or 4 cores to 8 Gaming VMs. But then you would need GPUs for each VM for passthrough. Would be pretty sweet.

How about play several different games at the same time.
You could use it as a UNRAID machine. Dedicate 8 cores to 4 Gaming VMs, or 4 cores to 8 Gaming VMs. But then you would need GPUs for each VM for passthrough. Would be pretty sweet.

My excuse for a TR system would be to have multiple full-speed NVMe slots, quad channel RAM, and 2 video cards running PCIe 16X. Boot into Linux and have a VM running Windows with passthrough for gaming. A chip with 8 cores would be sufficient, but 16 would work, too.

I totally agree. However it would be nice if that $1800 had topline gaming performance along with its incredible threaded performance is all that I'm saying.

I totally agree. However it would be nice if that $1800 had topline gaming performance along with its incredible threaded performance is all that I'm saying.

Fair enough. I suspect it should be more than sufficient for gaming but I agree, it will be nice to see some benchmarks.

I find gaming great on the 1950x. Just make sure that when you benchmark games on an Threadripper you set HPET to disabled or you will get stuttering and other weird effects in several games. For example in the VR game H3VR it would take over 2 minutes to get the initial "load scene" button to show up when the HPET was enabled, and several other VR games started to drop frames and stutter like mad.

2 possible ways to disable it:
  1. In the bios, if available, disable the "High Precision Event Timer"
  2. Via windows using BCDEdit: Open Admin Command Prompt and type "bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock"
The only incompatible game I found so far is Technomancer. It just won't run on anything with more than 4 threads or cores. You can't just limit it with affinity, you have to use msconfig and force windows to only have 4 cores/processors at boot time for it to launch and run lol.

I do wonder how long AMD will go with the unlocked cores thing for, at the minute it makes for good advertising but in reality the cpu's don't really clock that much over stock clocks. If 400-500 or so mhz overclock was achievable i'm sure that the unlocked thing would go the way of the dodo.

$1800 for a chip...ouch.

Yeah, it seems like a lot, but it also seems like a bargain. It's crazy big.

I won't tell you how much I paid for an IBM 286. =| I definitely won't tell you how much I paid for my for my first Macintosh. I will say that my IBM 486/33 with a generic 15" color monitor was about $3200.00, and that I paid that same amount of money a couple of years later for a Pentium system. I spent over $2,000 for monitors twice - once for a color 20", and then for a color 21". Those computers weren't just for gaming, though, they were also for work, and I don't regret spending the money.

But that's all from the past, when everything was a lot more expensive. Today we can get workstation-class processors for $300. Our idea about what is expensive has changed, but I don't think $1800 is out of line or even out of reach. I guess my real point is, I paid big money for computers and I didn't think anything of it, back when $10.00 an hour was considered a good wage. If I was back at work, my pre-order would have been in before I bothered to read this thread.

Yeah, it seems like a lot, but it also seems like a bargain. It's crazy big.

I won't tell you how much I paid for an IBM 286. =| I definitely won't tell you how much I paid for my for my first Macintosh. I will say that my IBM 486/33 with a generic 15" color monitor was about $3200.00, and that I paid that same amount of money a couple of years later for a Pentium system. I spent over $2,000 for monitors twice - once for a color 20", and then for a color 21". Those computers weren't just for gaming, though, they were also for work, and I don't regret spending the money.

But that's all from the past, when everything was a lot more expensive. Today we can get workstation-class processors for $300. Our idea about what is expensive has changed, but I don't think $1800 is out of line or even out of reach. I guess my real point is, I paid big money for computers and I didn't think anything of it, back when $10.00 an hour was considered a good wage. If I was back at work, my pre-order would have been in before I bothered to read this thread.

It is interesting that everything has gotten cheaper. My 386SX 16 and my 486DX 50 where probably $2000 or so. What you can build now for $2000 is pretty impressive and that is not factoring in 25-30 years of inflation.

They could improve the coolings power to surface area ratio by incorporating the motherboard between core blocks.
Simpler for the consumer!
Downside, a 1ft square heatsink.
Air coolers that require three 200mm fans.

Back