Preorder Orange Box - Play TF2 Beta Sept 17

Sweet, just got my pre-purchase in. :D

Episode 2 is worth the $45 to me, TF2 and portal are just icing on the cake. :p

Sweet, just got my pre-purchase in. :D

Episode 2 is worth the $45 to me, TF2 and portal are just icing on the cake. :p
Im glad your not in charge of pricing :p. $30 is steep let alone $45 for a 6 hour game. You do realize Ep 2 is literally 1/3 of a full length game. I would never even pay $45 for a full length game much less an "episode". Also Portal is only 3 hours long. Anyway for those that need/want all these games then the Orange Box is a very good deal. If I actually cared about playing TF2 then I would pull the trigger myself. ;)

Heavenly Sword is estimated to be only about 6 hours of game play [besides the fact that half of it occurs in slow motion, according to reviews] and that game is going to sell retail for $60. So it's not unprecedented.

I don't have any problem paying $45 for all this content. I think people don't realize that Portal isn't like a tech demo, it's a full fledged game. The puzzles [apparently about 20] are only the training part of the game. You go on to play an entire game after that. Even if it is short, take into account the replay value of Team Fortress 2. I think the price is completely fair.

I'm thinking of getting the Orange Box, but I just need to know how much bandwidth would something like CS or TF2 use up? I ask bcs I'm on a 500mb/day limit at uni.

I'm thinking of getting the Orange Box, but I just need to know how much bandwidth would something like CS or TF2 use up? I ask bcs I'm on a 500mb/day limit at uni.

You could play for over 13 hours a day. To pre load though, it would take a few days, if you can only preload 500mb a day.

Yeah the game itself is a few gigs, but the data sent isn't much since you can probably do it over dial-up.

Normal misinformation isn't too bad, but maybe you should think twice before you state a belief that could get somebody's network privileges revoked as fact.

Normal misinformation isn't too bad, but maybe you should think twice before you state a belief that could get somebody's network privileges revoked as fact.

Who said he would get access revoked? He said he was limited to that much a day which means they would just disconnect him for the rest of the day if he went over.

And why would the data useage be a huge amount? It only has to send / receive info on object locations not textures or models or anything.

If you have some facts please feel free to add them to the discussion to help out.

I guess I'll be looking into the bandwidth usage in more detail since it is a possibility that if i go over too many times I can get my connection slashed. Thanks for all the replies though, I'll probably be playing 1-2 hrs a day at most so maybe I'll be fine.

I guess I'll be looking into the bandwidth usage in more detail since it is a possibility that if i go over too many times I can get my connection slashed. Thanks for all the replies though, I'll probably be playing 1-2 hrs a day at most so maybe I'll be fine.

Downloading it to begin with will take several Gb's, so you will need to use several days of full bandwidth usage to actually get the games. After that it's nominal, you can essentially ignore bandwidth usage for actually playing the game the only thing you would need to keep an eye on is when downloading maps and additional content. Although realistically it's almost impossible to play on enough servers in one day to ever need to download 500mb of content, you might need 10-20mb of maps here and there.

Downloading it to begin with will take several Gb's, so you will need to use several days of full bandwidth usage to actually get the games. After that it's nominal, you can essentially ignore bandwidth usage for actually playing the game the only thing you would need to keep an eye on is when downloading maps and additional content. Although realistically it's almost impossible to play on enough servers in one day to ever need to download 500mb of content, you might need 10-20mb of maps here and there.

And those maps will be 1 time things (well 1 time / map) since it will save them to your computer.

...Although realistically it's almost impossible to play on enough servers in one day to ever need to download 500mb of content, you might need 10-20mb of maps here and there.
I'm wondering how much bandwidth is used up by the in-game voice chat. Anyone have any stats on that? I'd hate for the guy to get booted off his network because he's talking to other players.

I'm wondering how much bandwidth is used up by the in-game voice chat. Anyone have any stats on that? I'd hate for the guy to get booted off his network because he's talking to other players.
It depends on the quality and codecs being used to transmit the sound. Obviously better quality means more bandwidth, but even in that case, voip really isn't particularly bandwidth intensive. It will mean he can't play for 20 hours a day, but short of leaving the talk button pressed down for the entire time spent gaming, it shouldn't have much of an impact.

Minimal, the codecs used are mostly pretty decent at compressing the sound. It's nothing to worry about, it's kinda like worrying about how much you'll fill up a lake by pissing into it.

Minimal, the codecs used are mostly pretty decent at compressing the sound. It's nothing to worry about, it's kinda like worrying about how much you'll fill up a lake by pissing into it.
"Run! Run! Frosteh pissed in the lake and now the levees are bursting! We're all gonna DIE!" :D

TF2 preloading @ 35%

Stop stealing my bandwidths youall! I am only going at 223kb/s

:D

WTF was up with that unicorn game, that shit was kinda fun...

I thought one or two of the middle levels were the hardest, and it took me 2-3 times to beat, the first and last ones were nice and quick to finish. Fun game though, I like puzzles and can't wait for Portal! :)

This is a good deal, five dollars off normal price and no sales tax. But I still think I'd rather have a boxed copy. I don't like the idea of not being able to physically "have" the game, if you know what I mean.
(I'm sure this has been discussed alot, but :p)

This is a good deal, five dollars off normal price and no sales tax. But I still think I'd rather have a boxed copy. I don't like the idea of not being able to physically "have" the game, if you know what I mean.
(I'm sure this has been discussed alot, but :p)

I'd rather have the game just because it's quicker installing than via downloading.

But hey, it's not a big deal. I'd rather get it right away.

Keep in mind, if you purchase the game off Steam, you can make your own physical copy via the Back Up feature in Steam. It'll format itself correctly for DVD or CD, and even burn to multiple discs if you want to back up more than can fit onto a disc. Then you'll never have to re-download it again!

Keep in mind, if you purchase the game off Steam, you can make your own physical copy via the Back Up feature in Steam. It'll format itself correctly for DVD or CD, and even burn to multiple discs if you want to back up more than can fit onto a disc. Then you'll never have to re-download it again!

Beat me too it

Also, there are many resources available that can rip the .GCF files and you can make the cd/dvd accordingly.

Or you can just copy the .gcf files straight to a disc or a drive.

I have a 2nd hard drive packed with all the .gcf's for the source games I have, my 70Gb primary is starting to be a problem with space for games :/

Or you can just copy the .gcf files straight to a disc or a drive.

I have a 2nd hard drive packed with all the .gcf's for the source games I have, my 70Gb primary is starting to be a problem with space for games :/

Same here :D... I have a backup drive with all the .gcf's from the games so I can just copy back if I need to later... much quicker than waiting on a DVD install. Plus, I can make hard copies easily for myself.

Aren't youall basically pre-loading the games for a format? When steam sees the .GCF's it will just register and update as required.

smart ^^

Some of you have mentioned you've pre-loaded Team Fortress 2... I pre-ordered the Orange Box on steam and have TF2, EP2, and Portal waiting in the 'Not Installed" area of 'My Games'... How do I get mine to pre-load? Or were you just meaning pre-order?

EDIT: Nevermind, if you have The Orange Box pre-ordered on Steam, and TF2 isn't pre-loaded, you can right click on it and click 'Preload info...' which then allows you to pre-load it.

Some of you have mentioned you've pre-loaded Team Fortress 2... I pre-ordered the Orange Box on steam and have TF2, EP2, and Portal waiting in the 'Not Installed" area of 'My Games'... How do I get mine to pre-load? Or were you just meaning pre-order?

EDIT: Nevermind, if you have The Orange Box pre-ordered on Steam, and TF2 isn't pre-loaded, you can right click on it and click 'Preload info...' which then allows you to pre-load it.

Ugh, I had TF2 preloaded, and when I opened steam now its back to 0% =(

Hmm maybe its just a patch though, seems to be going fast.

Ugh, I had TF2 preloaded, and when I opened steam now its back to 0% =(

Hmm maybe its just a patch though, seems to be going fast.

It is a patch...or more correctly, more content. If you double click on it to bring up hte preload screen, you can see that it is about 90% done or something, and what you are downloading now is in addition to your original preload.

Back