Premium GPS navigation app for Android

Loki008

2[H]4U
I recently upgraded from a Nokia to HTC One X for AT&T and one thing i am missing is Garmin GPS app.

I find that i like the included Google navigation however its only about 85% there for my needs. Its awesome to get me where i need to go in terms of point A to point B but not being able to say find gas stations along my current route and insert it as a via point really makes me wanting for more. Offline maps also is a bit of a sticking point. Although i have data 95% of the time i would hate to be stuck when in a more rural area and stuck without GPS due to no data connection (I have family in northern maine and travel that way not unfrequently).

I would love to get the garmin app for Android, but my understanding is that there is a contract with Asus over the GarminPhone which prevents this from happening. I have seen a few other applications that may work but the reviews are all over the board. CoPilot and Navigon are the 2 i am leaning towards but i would appreciate some feedback before i spend the money as the refund policy in the play store sucks. There is no way i can download the maps and test it in under 15 minutes.

Thanks

I have CoPilot, it does the job. I can't tell you more than that really since Google maps is my go to.

I have CoPilot, it does the job. I can't tell you more than that really since Google maps is my go to.

I think google is on the right track, but they really need to add the multipoint routing and POI catagories. If i am looking for a specific destination it works well, but if i am driving from CT to Maine and i need gas along the way google sucks from my use so far.

just put the layer on maps to get restaurants and all ?

Honestly, I still have my standalone GPS (A Garmin 50LMT) and I greatly prefer it over using my phone. It's just a lot simpler, a lot easier to read (and hear), and if you're going to shell out $100 for a year's worth of maps, why not spend $120 for a unit with a lifetime of map updates and (useless) traffic info?

Again, my personal preference. I also live in an area where I can leave my GPS mounted and not have to worry about people breaking into my car, which is definitely a perk.

Honestly, I still have my standalone GPS (A Garmin 50LMT) and I greatly prefer it over using my phone. It's just a lot simpler, a lot easier to read (and hear), and if you're going to shell out $100 for a year's worth of maps, why not spend $120 for a unit with a lifetime of map updates and (useless) traffic info?

Again, my personal preference. I also live in an area where I can leave my GPS mounted and not have to worry about people breaking into my car, which is definitely a perk.

Sadly I don't live in an area that I can leave my GPS out and my current GPS is on its last legs. So I would prefer to consolidate devices. I find the screen of the One X is a good size with a suction mount for GPS use.

Copilot is nice. They recently added a year of traffic updates, and they update their maps every 90 days or so. I also like the fact that you can reduce the map size by saying you only want a region or state.

I use Copilot, does the job perfectly. I have to say though, I actually prefer the smaller screen iPhone 4 to my current SGS3 as a satnav lol.

I see there is a $17.99 USA premium version of CoPilot. Does this have all the bells and whistles or am i going to be nickle and dime'ed with upgrades once i buy the app? I noticed that a few of the GPS apps you buy the app, then you buy voice navigation, then you buy traffic, then you buy the HUD...

Well the voice navigation comes as standard. You have to pay for traffic for all satnav apps anyway.

As Becker does not make any mobile navigation, which is IMO a pity, I'd recommend either tomtom or navigon ( which has been bought by Garmin) From my experience, tomtom has better maps, also more often checks traffic jams and all data about roads. It checks data every 5 minutes, while navigon does it every 15.

As Becker does not make any mobile navigation, which is IMO a pity, I'd recommend either tomtom or navigon ( which has been bought by Garmin) From my experience, tomtom has better maps, also more often checks traffic jams and all data about roads. It checks data every 5 minutes, while navigon does it every 15.

There's no Tomtom on Android...

Can you not use goggle navigation on your phones? My galaxy nexus is by far the best GPS ive ever used. Updates the maps like once a week, I can just speak the name of where i want to go and it always finds it. Would never pay a dime for anything else. I can even pull up street view if i am having trouble finding something and see actual pictures.

Can you not use goggle navigation on your phones? My galaxy nexus is by far the best GPS ive ever used. Updates the maps like once a week, I can just speak the name of where i want to go and it always finds it. Would never pay a dime for anything else. I can even pull up street view if i am having trouble finding something and see actual pictures.

For the OP, the issue is how easy a normal GPS handles some other things, like Find a gas station on my route, and stuff like that. With google maps you have to say "I want a gas station", and then look around for the one closest to your route.

Personally, I'd love someone to go and combine gasbuddy and google maps with route navigation, so that it would tell you pricing of gas stations on your route. I know some in-car gps' will do that one. Its a nice feature.

All you have to do to find a gas station on your route is to hit search once the navigation is running, and type gas, and it will pop up every gas station on your route. It has the ones on the route you are taking in large POIs and the ones not located on your route as small red dots. You tap the one you want and and it will navigate to it.

The only time they update maps quickly is if something is drastically wrong. for instance, near my house there was a link to a Toys R Us that existed in an entirely different state. They fixed that the next week I reported it. But when I advised them that an address was wrong, they stated it would take two months, but actually took four.

And as others mentioned, it's pretty poor at setting out multiple stops, gas prices, knowing which lane you should be in for a exit, and personally I think Copilot's graphics are a lot nicer.

Back