Preferred Monitor for 3x 30" Eyefinity?

Endgame

Gawd
I'm currently running an OC'd Q6600 w/ a single 4870 1GB, and I've been saving pennies for a while for Sandy Bridge -E or Bulldozer (which ever was better). After seeing the reviews on both, I've decided to reallocate my PC money ($4,000) into 30" monitors for Eyefinity and then upgrading to Ivy Bridge when it becomes available, since I'm assuming AMD will be uncompetitive for a while CPU side.

I've been eying the HP ZR30w or the UltraSharp U3011 as the monitor to use, but I really don't have a way to check out the monitor, or any of its competitors to see them in action. I would really like a LED back lit display, but I don't think such a thing seems to exist on the 30" displays... What is the preferred / recommended 30" display?

As for my existing system, I suspect that picking up a second 4870 and running them in Crossfire should be able to hold me over until Ivy Bridge hits, but does the 4xxx series support eyefinity? I don't think it does, but I could be wrong. The alternative would be to grab a cheap 5xxx series card to drive the monitors, but I'd rather not spend too much upgrading the existing system when I've got a new one a few months down the road. Suggestions?

I don't think your 4870 or even two of them in Crossfire mode can run the 3 30 inch monitor in eyefinity mode because eyefinity only became available in the 5000 series.

i think the 4870 will even have trouble powering one 30 inch with all game details maxed out.

You'll need a minimum a 5000 series or 6000 series with two displayport + Dual link DVI or 2 dual link DVI to properly drive the 3 monitors in eyefinity mode.

4870's don't support Eyefinity. Having said that, with the desktop real estate you plan on pushing pixels to (12 megapixels?!?!?!) your CPU will hold back *ANY* Eyefinity setup with any reasonable amount of eye candy turned on. I have an overclocked Q9550 w/HD6950 2GB CrossFire and I get slow downs using *ONE* 30" monitor. If you are waiting for Ivy Bridge (I certainly am), you might want to wait on the monitors and video card too as AMD will have the 79xx series out before Ivy Bridge (I hope). That way you can get a card (or multiples if you feel like it) to properly drive such a monstrosity in Eyefinity that will be a match for the CPU you are getting. As a bonus, 79xx support PCI-E 3.0 which is coming out with Ivy Bridge. I personally doubt PCI-E 3.0 will make a major difference, but given the acreage your computer will be outputting to every little bit counts.

I agree, by the time the hardware is available to push that resolution the monitors you buy today will be dated.

Stuff that 4 grand in the mattress and keep adding to it...ivy bridge+2@7970+3@30" ain't going to be cheap

I'm definitely planning on going for the 79xx series or the new NVidia card (Kepler?) to pair with my Ivy Bridge system, though it would be nice to be able to use all 3 monitors in a game while I wait. I also do programming and systems administration by day, so the monitors won't go to waste if I buy them now. I'm currently using a 4 monitor setup on my work machine -- 2 20"s and 2 19"s, and I've got the 20"s in portrait which is terrible considering they are TN panels and the color shift is annoying. Since I've got the money, I was thinking about a monitor upgrade to 1 30" and then decided I might as well buy all 3 at once since I'll have some time to build up cash for the new system.

I assume that crossfire 4870s should be able to drive 1 30" if I turn the details down on some of the games I play (Eve Online, Sins of a Solar Empire, SC 2) and I'll live if I have to scale down rez on the newer titles (BF3, and eventually SW:ToR) until I can get the new machine.

For 3x 30" you're going to need at least a 3GB card. and remember two 6950 2GB don't add up to 4GB

Out of those 2 I like the ZR30w more. But I'm a huge fan of NEC monitors but they run about 1000 bucks more per monitor, unless you went 27" 2650x1440 PA271W's they will cost about the same.

I see no issue with getting the monitors first. Yeah your current computer wouldn't be able to eyefinity but you'd have 3 bad ass monitors that should last plenty long enough for your new computer. I doubt any major improvements are going to be made in the 30" monitor department over the next year.

I have 3 dell 3007's. Its amazing to see but you need to turn so much down to make it worth wild that I would not buy the same thing again. i would do 3 24's.

I ran 3x30 for a year, it was great and has a lot of jaw dropping moments but I got bored and used it less and less

I'm running a single 30 now and I am honestly happier w it as the novelty eventually wore off

I only run 1 30" but its a space issue primary a cost issue secondary. You need to have a serious desk for 3 30" monitors or a good mounting system. 305T + swan mkiii = no more space on my desk.

but you never know what else he uses his computer for and the amount of extra income he has. My previous job I could of filled 5 30" monitors with useful information and he could be sitting on a gold mine and dropping an extra 2400 isn't a big deal.

Back