Prefered laptop manufacturers

RichQ03

n00b
Right now I'm looking for a laptop...about 15", between ~2000 and 3000$. Its for traveling on business, for work and gaming. Any suggested brands? I've been reading around and people have reccomended Asus as a good one, as well as acer and even apple macbook pros. Any other suggested manufacturers?

Suggestions? Comments?

Thanks!

what kind of gaming will you do? i just got a decked out dell e1505 with the x1400 graphics card and a core duo 2ghz for 1300 bucks.. it will do most games and does a kick ass job at business apps.

Asus makes the Macbook Pros, and both are very good.

The Dell Latitude series is excellent as well, they cost a little more than the Inspiron, but they are built better. I have had one for three years and have yet to have a single problem with it.

I do mostly things like Battlefield 2, Half Life 2, Battle for middle earth 2, star wars empire at war, and of course games like star craft/warcraft 3. so a little of everything

I have a E1505, and the X1400 is acceptable at best. It really bottleneck's the laptop's full potential. Until Dell releases a better card, I would say your probably better off getting a ASUS. I've heard they have one that has an x1600 which is a significant boost from the x1400.

Well I am partial to Dell B/C my last 2 notebook came from them. Dell really needs a better gaming mid range laptop. You could also get a D810 and add a 6800NU. the fastest 15.4 inch laptop out atm. It will require a bit of modding, but its not hard at all.

so it seems dell is a good buy then? i just had 2 friends, and both of their dells ended up with problems, and took about 2 months before they had things worked out, maybe it was just bad luck

Dell has the best service plan, I took a risk and bought the ASUS S5N and it's best laptop i've ever owned (had it for the past 2 years), never had problems and oh yeah you can upgrade it yourself if you really want to.

I'd say get a Dell XPS laptop. They start at $2600, but look on eBay for a 33% off coupon, so it drops down to under $1800. That basic package gets you a 7900GS, Core Duo T2400, 1GB dual DDR2 667mhz, 17" UltraSharp Wide UXGA and a 60gig 7200rpm drive.

Nobody is recommending ThinkPads, but a few threads down, they're described as the shizzle. Why is that? They're not so good for gaming?

IBMs tend not to have gaming video cards in them..

You might also want to look at Clevo laptops.
They are the ODM for many boutique laptop companies, including Sager and Alienware. I wouldn't recommend getting one thru alienware cuz of their historically crappy service and overpricing...
But you can by a Clevo from many places online and get a good deal. their current 15.4 in has an ati x700 with 256M ram. within the next month or two, they'll have the core duos with x1600s in them (15.4 in).
Their current 17 in widescreen comes with a 7800GTX 256M, and can be had with a decent config for just over $2K.

Elminst said:
IBMs tend not to have gaming video cards in them..

Actually, most of them have either X1300s or X1400s, or else FireGLs (for the new models, at least). Of course, compared to X1600s or the 6800/7800 that Dell XPS models can have, that's practically nothing.

asus for the best all rounder

if i wanted something for portable, the neweer dell xp120 something i forgot. supposed to be only 3 pounds with an x1400 in it if i read correctly and 12 inch screen

RichQ03 said:
so it seems dell is a good buy then? i just had 2 friends, and both of their dells ended up with problems, and took about 2 months before they had things worked out, maybe it was just bad luck

Dells are a good buy, but not the Inspiron models. The Latitude and Precicision notebooks are built to a higher standard, I can't attest to the XPS as I have never used one. but I would imagine for the price you pay Dell doesn't cut too many corners.

Look at the new Sager 5720 dual core... Its on pre-order and should be out very soon. So if you order it now you'll be getting it in no time. I've got the regular 5720 single core 7800gtx and damn this thing kills all. Carrying it around is no hassle at all either. The case you get fits it nicely and is very good looking. Your gaming laptop choices for 15" are slim compared to 17". I wouldnt spend $2000-$3000 for a 15 inch mediocre gaming laptop when I could spend that much on a 17" and get 3x performance.

I have had nothing but good luck with the latest Inspirons. I just picked up a 6000 for my mother and a 710m for myself. I really love the 710m. I've worked on the IBMs, but the price premium is just not worth it to me.

Back