Prediction for the Death of AGP

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
I think AGP will finally die when the new AMD socket comes out. The way I see it, the only reason it hasn't moved off the scene quicker is the fact that there are s939 boards with AGP that are very good boards and are still upgradeable with new CPU's. Intel is already off the scene and has been for a year. So pretty much it is just a matter of the P4C's and the s939's (and to a lesser extent the Socket A crowd :) ) running their course. Thoughts?

kirbyrj said:
I think AGP will finally die when the new AMD socket comes out. The way I see it, the only reason it hasn't moved off the scene quicker is the fact that there are s939 boards with AGP that are very good boards and are still upgradeable with new CPU's. Intel is already off the scene and has been for a year. So pretty much it is just a matter of the P4C's and the s939's (and to a lesser extent the Socket A crowd :) ) running their course. Thoughts?

Except for the billions of computers already out there that use AGP that have never gotten the complete use out of AGP 8x, you might be right.

I'm very content with the setups I have around her, all using AGP, and I'll be using the stanard as long as its available. As long as it'll run the games on it that I'm playing at the moment, I see no reason to move on to PCI-E

Ax

Comte said:
That and all the billions of computers already out there that use AGP that have never gotten the complete use out of AGP 8x.

That and the fact that nine years after the introduction of AGP, there are still PCI video cards being made.
It's a pretty small percentage of the market that jumps on new technology as soon as it's released.

I think AGP has died, but will never fully decay. Look at PCI, it is no longer the primary video adaptor yet there are more PCI video cards in the world than there are AGP (if you don't believe me, just look at the video card section at your local computer store). The MX400 series of PCI video cards has lasted WELL past it's time. Why? Because it's a cheap chip to put on a cheap video card. I think that all video cards from here on out (7800, R520) will be PCIe. The FX/9xxx series of cards will stay, they will replace the MX cards as budget cards. AGP is dead, but like all technologies it will never go away.

BLenderhedd said:
That and the fact that nine years after the introduction of AGP, there are still PCI video cards being made.
It's a pretty small percentage of the market that jumps on new technology as soon as it's released.

Exactly what I keep saying. AGP isn't dying anytime soon. Its just debateable how long they will continue to launch high end AGP cards. But I think the demand will be there for at least this generation... and probably even the one after that, b/c there is no performance penalty for bridging a native PCIe card to AGP8x, as benchmarks have shown. And Nvidia has a great reversable bridge that works both ways.

chrisf6969 said:
But I think the demand will be there for at least this generation... and probably even the one after that, b/c there is no performance penalty for bridging a native PCIe card to AGP8x, as benchmarks have shown. And Nvidia has a great reversable bridge that works both ways.
I think it's confirmed that there will be no AGP 7800, right? It shouldn't matter, anyone blowing $600 on a video card should have more than enough to buy a $100 motherboard. I mean really, we're talking enthusiast here which means we are talking AMD. With that in mind, you can keep your current RAM and procesor and just upgrade your motherboard. The jump to PCIe is not all as huge as it's made out to be.

Lets see.....

Those running AGP slots still, or at least the large part of them, will never use a top of the line card and will never probably have a processor fast enough to keep up with top of the line cards from now on. Many of them will get their maximum performance from an X850 or 6800GT/U.

Those wanting 7800GTX AGP's are just plain out of their mind and make no sense. "Let me whine about wanting an AGP version and say the only reason is because I dont have enough money to upgrade yet I want to buy a $600 video card instead of a $150 motherboard" SHUT UP.

AGP, you were a great thing. Its your time to go away now. You served us all well, though you may have slightly limited GPU development. PCIe is a great thing, with all its added features, none of which happen to do with bandwidth. I loved you AGP, but now I must move on to bigger and better things.

You want to know why PCI lasted so long? Because it can be used for everything. Its bidirectional, something AGP is not, and PCIe is. PCI graphics cards are still made because of needing to drive extra monitors, and for those people who waste money thinking they'll get a gaming card out of a PCI 9200.

If there's something that exists that's newer, cheaper, and better, it's stupid to keep buying the old system just because it does the same job just as well. It's better to have one standered.

Comte said:
Except for the billions of computers already out there that use AGP that have never gotten the complete use out of AGP 8x, you might be right.

Thats not the point. AGP is an old technology, why are you trying to halt innovation and prolong the life of an outdated bus reguardless if it has been utilized or not. PCI-Express is BETTER, PERIOD. And thats where the industry is moving, If you can spend 600$ in a brand new videocard, but cant afford a 150$ new motherboard to fit it, then you have priority issues.

Dillusion said:
Thats not the point. AGP is an old technology, why are you trying to halt innovation and prolong the life of an outdated bus reguardless if it has been utilized or not. PCI-Express is BETTER, PERIOD. And thats where the industry is moving, If you can spend 600$ in a brand new videocard, but cant afford a 150$ new motherboard to fit it, then you have priority issues.

The point is, a lot of people are like me, and will have to upgrade everything next time around. I wont buy a $600 videocard, and if I can make my current system last longer until i have to spend that thousand or so dollars, I will. And AGP is where I am stuck. The video card companies would be stupid to ignore such a base as that. And they wont, there will be AGP versions of these cards out soon, but not right now. Just watch.

Comte said:
The point is, a lot of people are like me, and will have to upgrade everything next time around. I wont buy a $600 videocard, and if I can make my current system last longer until i have to spend that thousand or so dollars, I will. And AGP is where I am stuck. The video card companies would be stupid to ignore such a base as that. And they wont, there will be AGP versions of these cards out soon, but not right now. Just watch.

What does it concern you though? Your CPU limits you so much that a card like an X850XT or 6800U is already CPU limited. That is your next card most likely and it is AGP. So, there you go.

Dillusion said:

Who says he is trying to halt the innovation? Just because you don't jump on the latest & greatest bandwagon as soon as it appears on the mass market doesn't mean a thing. As long as he's happy with where he's at, I see no harm in it at all....

What exactly, is the real point here, anyway? The OP asked for thoughts concerning the two standards. He didn't ask people to start a flame war. :mad:

Ax

there are still people with good cpu's taht should have no reason to upgrade thier mobo..

if you have a great overclock on you current mobo...why go get a cheaper one where you might not get as high...just for pci-e?

and tell me..what other benifets does pci-e bring besides bandwidth?

more power?..big deal..just add a power connect..no biggie there..unless you cut off the extra one's on your psu or something

C'mon guys...

AGP aint going nowhere, why do you guys want to see it die so bad?...to justify your purchase? huh?

AGP is old but damn, its not washed out. Get off the damn "AGP is dead" bandwagon and why don't u upgrade your fucking NIC or something.

AGP will not be around by the end of this year. Sure People who still have old systems will have it, But thats about it. You will be able to buy old boards with it, if you really wanted to.

The PCIe system, Not just for graphics is superior to the AGP / PCI system older boards have. More and more things will transition from PCI to PCIe, Not becuase its needed bandwidth wise, but for power puruposes, and all the flexability PCIe contains.

Pkirk618 said:
C'mon guys...

AGP aint going nowhere, why do you guys want to see it die so bad?...to justify your purchase? huh?

AGP is old but damn, its not washed out. Get off the damn "AGP is dead" bandwagon and why don't u upgrade your fucking NIC or something.

^ my thoughts exactly. There have been way too many threads like this. Its basically PCI-e guys scared they made the jump for no real reason.

There is no benefit to AGP atm. No game will use up entire bandwidth of AGP in the forseable future. AGP is too popular and usefull. Yes, AGP may become dead for those people who become slaves just to be on the "bleeding edge" As for most regular people, AGP is more than sufficient.

JohnAddisonUK said:
PCI cards are still around as PCI could co-exist very well with AGP as it had other uses (modems, sound cards etc) AGP will not co-exist with PCI-E in this way, AGP will die far quicker than PCI did as AGP has no other uses like PCI did. Unless you can plug a sound card into an AGP slot and I just never noticed :D

PCI-E is here to finish off PCI and to kill AGP and within 12-18 months I think it will have.

Actually I've seen quite a few AGP sound cards. All of course are super high end for recording...

runs about
$200(on sale maybe)-400

ray4389 said:
Actually I've seen quite a few AGP sound cards. All of course are super high end for recording...

runs about
$200(on sale maybe)-400
Show me where...

AGP is Accelerated Graphics Port

And handles Graphics protocols only...

So gimme a link plz

forumposter32 said:
Yes, that's why I read on theinquirer.net that 15% of graphic card sales are PCI-E. :p
Well Come on, people have been collecting AGP since 1998. I know I have when the Voodoo 3 came out. I still got mine. So sure PCIe just came out.

The Advancement of AGP is dead. The Technology will not evolve anymore, so in my eyes its a dead platform. Just because people still have it around, dosent make it current.

I know there's ways to run your graphics card for sound processing but never ever heard of a sound card in a graphics port

illgiveumorality said:
I know there's ways to run your graphics card for sound processing but never ever heard of a sound card in a graphics port
beacause it dosent exist.

I am amazed at how some people know so little.

I just upgraded to PCI-E when I upgraded my processor. I think that is when most people do it. I don't think that people should be forced to upgrade to PCI-E. That said, I am sick of the AGP people bitching because the 7800 is PCI-E only. If you are going to buy the newest top of the line graphics card, then you should have the newest top of the line motherboard and processor; and AGP is not the newest, greatest.

So my prediction is that AGP will be around for several years, but we will see fewer and fewer graphic cards supporting it. The general population will rapidly move over also as they buy new pre-built systems. At work I have been installing PCI-E computers only for over 6 months now. By the end of the year AGP will be in the same situation as PCI cards. There will be plenty to choose from; but all the top end card will be PCI-E only.

beacause it dosent exist.

I am amazed at how some people know so little.

yeah it is isnt it :)

http://www.bionicfx.com/

BionicFX announces audio processing on NVIDIA GPU
BionicFX to release world's first commercial application to process non-graphic data on GPU

"This audio-to-texture technology is revolutionary. How clever to see so much underutilized horsepower in these cards when working on audio. The game audio guys are really going to jump on this, 'cause we all have $500 videocards to test our work on, but they're useless to us during actual content creation." ---Ed Lima, Composer & Sound Designer of DOOM3

Everyone is saying "why do you want AGP to die so much"

Its not that I want it to die... its because a newer platform has come out that can replace it. It can do everything AGP can do, and more stuff.

I dont have a PCIe Mobo yet... But I support the Advancement of Technology.

If AGP is dead, then why are they just starting to make boards that have the PCI-E on the northbridge and then an AGP 8X slot that is controlled by the south bridge? There is still higher demand for AGP cards than there is for PCI-E cards. I think the situation is similar to RDRAM when it first came out; it's faster but nothing really utitilizes it enough. I had RDRAM in my pentium 3 system and it was much much faster than SDRAM, but no one else wanted to change, (cost was the main factor but still).

Why is everyone saying AGP is going to be phased out when PCI has lasted for so many years? Isn't it more of a gimmick, I am sure they could retrofit the molex power connector on an AGP card to accept the new PCI-E molex connector. Also, AGP3.0 apparently allows for two separate AGP8X slots, which would be the same bandwidth as what SLI uses now.

I have nothing against change, but I think AGP will last for at least a few more years. I own 3 systems and my main rig is PCI-E, but I think my 2 other AGP systems still and will have plenty of life in them.

yeah lets start with you little Corporal and how much you DON'T know. :mad:

Pkirk618 said:
..and If I ever see you in person my little Marine friend, I'll smoke ur ass like you were in BCT...!!! ;) ...and yeah, I outrank you by a long long long shot.
I dont know what BCT is...

I dont know if you are Army or Navy or what...

Thats all good you can outrank me. We all know the higher you go in rank the dummer we get. It happens :(

Kickus_assius said:
If AGP is dead, then why are they just starting to make boards that have the PCI-E on the northbridge and then an AGP 8X slot that is controlled by the south bridge?

Why is everyone saying AGP is going to be phased out when PCI has lasted for so many years? Isn't it more of a gimmick, I am sure they could retrofit the molex power connector on an AGP card to accept the new PCI-E molex connector. Also, AGP3.0 apparently allows for two separate AGP8X slots, which would be the same bandwidth as what SLI uses now

Do you have any examples of those boards, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those.

And you will always be able to get AGP boards for a long time. I mean you can buy P4 boards that still have ISA

USMC2Hard4U said:
I dont know what BCT is...

I dont know if you are Army or Navy or what...

Thats all good you can outrank me. We all know the higher you go in rank the dummer we get. It happens :(
oh i like ur misspelling of dumber BTW. you just exude intelligence. Oh yea, BTW means by the way. to avoid any confusion on your part.

Pkirk618 and USMC2Hard4U take it in PM's, we dont need your chatter in an open thread and Pkirk618 try editing posts.

On the AGP issue I do kinda wish there was a 7800 agp since I hate spending more money than is needed, it would allow me to get high end preformance out of my box without a mjor upgrade for a good deal longer.

How did this turn into an armed forces pissing match?

Anyway, I'm pro AGP versions of high end cards for a generation or two yet because some people don't want to replace their motherboard and CPU to buy a new card. It can be a hassle to sell them, and having an A64 chip on a shelf is just, well, not right. I feel bad with my old Athlon 600 collecting dust.

Tsumari

I suppose you guys think ATX should die too, now that BTX is here and is far more superiour.

Quit trying to validate you waste of $600 on a 7800 here. AGP is alive and well.

AGP isn't going to die anytime soon. I do agree with the OP; when the M2 socket comes out I bet that we'll have completely moved over to PCIe, but until then AGP cards are still going to be made. The current lack of 7800GTX AGP cards is likely just Nvidia trying to motivate more and more people to move to PCIe, but they'll likely release an AGP version of the card after in a couple months.

i say go with integrated graphics, less to worry about...j/k

i think agp will die on the next generation of chipsets for amd, there are no pci-e mobo's that have full agp on them currently and probablly not in the future, and intel doesnt even make mobos or chipsets that have it anymore
i mean yeah agp cards will still be made, but just as pci cards are still being made, but they arent going to be high end though

Back