Predator X34 Owner's Club & Discussion.

At least you can afford one. Imagine paying $2000 USD for one. Cause that is what they cost us here in CANADA. For $700 more I can get a curved 55" OLED

GTA V is just beautiful on this monitor!

Can't wait, I remember being slobberknockered playing GTAIV on the first flat screen 60hz LG 34" .....so like adding a slight curve and cranking things up to ELEVEN with 100hz should be really great GTA wise.

Last edited:
At least you can afford one. Imagine paying $2000 USD for one. Cause that is what they cost us here in CANADA. For $700 more I can get a curved 55" OLED

Ummm, NCIX has it in stock for 1,360 USD (1790 CAD), that is just 60 above retail. Not sure what you are complaining about.... I think you did the conversion the wrong way around ;)

Ummm, NCIX has it in stock for 1,360 USD (1790 CAD), that is just 60 above retail. Not sure what you are complaining about.... I think you did the conversion the wrong way around ;)

$1790 is without tax, after tax $2000. Yes USD is worth more, but what we pay is the same as asking an american to dish out $2000 for a display.

$1790 is without tax, after tax $2000. Yes USD is worth more, but what we pay is the same as asking an american to dish out $2000 for a display.

Sales tax? I'm not sure what that is.......here in Montana we don't pay sales tax. :D

No it really isn't the same. It is priced nearly identically in Canada as it is in the US.

Other people who are going to return those if they aren't fixed before your return window is up, what are you going to replace it with? I'm thinking of either waiting for the Asus 34" Gsync or possibly just catching the 34" Dell Ultrawide on sale for $650. Keep that for a year or so, pass it to my son for his gaming rig, and buying another Gsync Ultrawide when they are more mature and not so overpriced.

Other people who are going to return those if they aren't fixed before your return window is up, what are you going to replace it with? I'm thinking of either waiting for the Asus 34" Gsync or possibly just catching the 34" Dell Ultrawide on sale for $650. Keep that for a year or so, pass it to my son for his gaming rig, and buying another Gsync Ultrawide when they are more mature and not so overpriced.

You aren't going to have a much different experience with the Asus 34". It is still the same exact panel, so overclocking is still going to go beyond panel specification and will be hit or miss. If you don't like those odds, then you should just get the Dell 34" for less money (which also has the same panel as the Acer and Asus but no Gsync logic). The advantage of the Acer and Asus panels is Gsync, and the control logic has been optimized to reduce input lag.

As for pricing in Canada, the price is the same. If you want to argue about taxes go get a General Mayhem subscription and make a post in the Soapbox.

Sigh. . . the back-order option came up at newegg momentarily yesterday.

Had it in the cart, but after tax, that $1400+ price just gave me the willies.

I guess I'll have to wait for the price to come down. I don't like that feeling when I'm purchasing something.

I guess I'll have to wait for the price to come down. I don't like that feeling when I'm purchasing something.

Probably not a bad idea. Some pretty bad issues with a lot of them, including mine. Acer doesn't have the best track record for making things right, so I'd wait until the Asus 34" Gsync comes out. That way you have options, maybe the prices will have dropped since there is competition, Asus might see the problems Acer is having and fix them before they ship, and maybe Acer will have gotten all their issues sorted.

If non-Gsync ultrawides were still selling for $800+ this monitor would not seem so overpriced. No other Gsync monitors have such a high markup on them.

Given the low supply right now however I guess it is priced right. As soon as there is a good amount of inventory coming in though I expect a drop to around $900-1000.

Depending upon how risky you want to get, some stores like PC Connection and Mac Mall had the monitor in stock or on backorder for as low as like 1150.

Got my monitor yesterday, had about an hour to test it but am pretty disappointed so far. It has a dead pixel to the middle left and surprisingly doesn't look as good as my old IPS monitor. The colors don't pop as much (I tried the color profiles, and the suggested settings from TFT) but alas it didn't help either. I am also noticing more of blur in detail, to the point where I notice it from a normal viewing distance compared to my old monitor. IPS glow is very minimal and I don't notice any BLB although the camera on my phone sure does, doesn't mean much to me anyhow.

If anyone has some suggestions about the blur let me know, Someone in the overclock forums best summed it up on these 2 posts

http://www.overclock.net/t/1537403/...-gaming-screen-with-g-sync/4470#post_24534492

http://www.overclock.net/t/1537403/...-gaming-screen-with-g-sync/4480#post_24534688

I am also on the fence about RMAing it just for the fact it has a dead pixel, gonna try Stuck Pixel Sweeper tonight, but for $1300 you would think it would have some better quality control. Will test further tonight, who knows what it may bring. Again, any help on this is much appreciated.

EDIT: Nevermind about the blur, my memory served me wrong, just tested it again and its definitely the scan line issue

Last edited:
After accidentally selecting eggsaver shipping and not being able to change shipping methods, I have been slowly watching mine painfully trek through every paper town from california to south florida....its currently in orlando....most likely riding the rides at universal studios because disney is lame....sigh...I would have met it up there had I known it was gonna take a day to chill......hopefully the dualing dragons and hulk don't rough it up too much!

Ok, Vega to the rescue. ;)

So it's been nagging me why the faint horizontal lines are the most visible in the pendulum test and almost non-existent in Windows 10 and some other games. I've already tested that refresh rate does not affect the horizontal lines and they were the same at 60 Hz and 100 Hz.

To my surprise in my testing, it's not refresh rate but FPS based! So the pendulum test starts by default at a really low FPS. While comparing the X34 with my TN swift, I selected the option "Show Test Pattern", which brings up a grey that makes the horizontal lines most apparent. Then, I selected "FPS sliders". Instead of running the ~35 FPS or so that the pendulum test starts out at, I put the max at 100 FPS and the min at 95 FPS. Voila, the horizontal lines virtually disappeared. There is still just the slightest of lines if you look super close, but definitely nothing you would notice at a normal sitting distance. I'd say they dropped by about 90% in strength. :thumb:

So there you have it, just keep your FPS up towards the monitors max refresh rate and the problem is all but non-existent. :yessir:

Meh, I haven't noticed any horizontal lines on my display. Not going to bother looking for it either.

I just explained why you don't see the lines. Knowledge is power. ;)

Vega,

I noticed your 'pit posts over on the DCS forums. My gaming time is split between sims (DCS and BoS) and shooters/RTS, but flight sims are usually what I love the most (and spend the most money on.) Are you flying with the X34, the Swift, or that huge OLED?

I'd love to go larger than my current 25" TN (oldest component in my system, by far) for the immersion, but I already have a hard time tracking aircraft at a distance against ground clutter, and I'm worried a larger, slower screen with more motion blur will make it even more difficult. GSync is therefore high on the list, but all of the panels except this one are not a size upgrade.

Size/immersiveness and speed/GSync are mutually exclusive right now, with the sole exception of this panel. If you're flying with it, I'm wondering how it's working out compared to the other two.

Last edited:
I'm using the X34 exclusively at the moment. ;)

Right now the X34 is the sweet spot for all of the combined attributes you would want in a gaming display. Is it the fastest? No. Does it have the best picture? No. Is it the largest/most immersive? No.

But you take the average of all of those attributes and the X34 comes out ahead of any other single display on the market as I write this.

Wish mine wasn't a piece of shit. Welcome to the Acer monitor lottery. I should have known better to buy something from a company that made $200 laptops for Walmart.

Vega,

I noticed your 'pit posts over on the DCS forums. My gaming time is split between sims (DCS and BoS) and shooters/RTS, but flight sims are usually what I love the most (and spend the most money on.) Are you flying with the X34, the Swift, or that huge OLED?

I'd love to go larger than my current 25" TN (oldest component in my system, by far) for the immersion, but I already have a hard time tracking aircraft at a distance against ground clutter, and I'm worried a larger, slower screen with more motion blur will make it even more difficult. GSync is therefore high on the list, but all of the panels except this one are not a size upgrade.

Size/immersiveness and speed/GSync are mutually exclusive right now, with the sole exception of this panel. If you're flying with it, I'm wondering how it's working out compared to the other two.

Get the X34, you will love it! It is perfect for your needs.

Got mine today here are my thoughts:

Got mine today, hooked it up to my Titan X and janky 10' displayport cable that I got from some 5th world sweat shop eons ago. I heard tales of how the OSD was putrid trash, but was pleasantly surprised to find that it functions very much like a drunken Korean shell game on crack where guesswork & luck reign supreme in locking in your desired settings as buttons don't quite line up to the display and lots of non-intuitive function are at play.

I was able to select 100hz OC in the OSD and 100hz gsync under Nvidia control panel and it all works & looks great. The display looks fantabulous and is perfect for doing productivity on 2/3 while the cam girls go to town on the other 1/3 of the screen!

I like the curve....I wish it had more curve, but what can ya do!

A Jack of all trades monitor in a way, not the best at any one thing, but is good in pretty much most categories.

Except price :(

I disagree on this. For $1,300 I think its a bargain for what you get. Its color reproduction is pretty close to professional grade. And its resolution + refresh rate make it excellent for architecture, engineering, CADD & graphic design applications....not to mention the benefits for gaming.

This display completely replaces a triple surround setup I was using....a setup that cost over two grand, so I see $1,300 as a friggin bargain. Of course if you wait the price should come down, especially when the Asus hits market, probably be able to snag these in the $1,100 range in a few months....

I just played some BF4 and GTAV and it was the most immersive fun I have had in those games in a long time. This is an excellent display, worth every penny if you get a good one.

Last edited:
Wish mine wasn't a piece of shit. Welcome to the Acer monitor lottery. I should have known better to buy something from a company that made $200 laptops for Walmart.

It sucks that you got a dud, but be realistic.....the monitor lottery applies to most brands, even the premium ones. So far from what I have read across forums it appears that there are not widespread QC issues with the X34.

Last edited:
It sucks that you got a dud, but be realistic.....the monitor lottery applies to most brands, even the premium ones. So far from what I have read across forums it appears that there are not widespread QC issues with the X34.

It's pretty widespread.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Discussions/MULTIPLE-Problems-with-New-X34/td-p/390434

http://www.overclock.net/t/1537403/...41ck-34-curved-gaming-screen-with-g-sync/5110

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/479140-another-acer-predator-x34-problem/

And I could find more if I wanted.

If I wasn't returning mine, I'd spend some time making a list of how many are defective. It's not like Acer sold millions of these. There was 1 available in my Microcenter in St Louis, that I got, and the same for most of the country. A few people got there's from preorders. They are trickling out slowly, and the number of complaints goes up every day.

This is a widespread issue. Just because a few people got good ones, or maybe don't know enough to identify the issues, doesn't mean a sweeping "oh this guy got a bad one and I got a good one, so he's overreacting" mantra. Acer has a serious issue on their hands, and it will all become more clear in the coming weeks.

Keep in mind that gripes and issues on the internet are over-represented due to sample self-selection. People who are happy are far less motivated to post about their experience on the interwebs.

From that Overclock.net thread, just a bit ago:

Just got word from our internal sources. Massive recall on these monitors. Firmware needs an update. They did not say if we would have to send back the monitors or if we can update the firmware from home. This is why they are pull back to manufacture and inactive items now.

Take that for what it's worth, which may not be much given the unverifiable source, but would certainly explain the inability to backorder from any of the big sources.

The listing was removed from NCIX recently. This provides a reasonable explanation as to why.

Wow, you mean the people with problems aren't lying, as much as the people without problems would like it to be so? Imagine that. This also explains why it's completely gone off Microcenter's site as well. And if this is just for the wake from sleep issue, that still leaves all the other problems.

So, who's shipping their $1300 monitor to China for god knows how long for a firmware update if Acer decides not to let the user do it?

Also, glad there aren't widespread QC issue with this monitor, eh Blade Runner?

Last edited:
Things are rolling now.

I just got a call from a Manager at the Brentwood Microcenter. He was supposed to be looking for me an X34 that he could get shipped in from another store for me to exchange mine for. He said they got a company wide email this morning, and Acer is recalling all stock of the Predator X34s from Microcenter and other retailers.

Might want to get yours returned if you can, or prepare to possibly have to ship it in and wait for a fixed version to get released back to the public. If they are doing a full recall, I'd say that points to the wake from sleep issue being serious, since it's the most widespread problem. Like you try to wake it up one day, and it never wakes up again.

And Acer's official statement is in:

I appreciate your patience while we investigated the concerns discussed here related to the X34 backlight waking from sleep. After working with you and performing our own testing, we found that this symptom is seen most often when lower brightness settings are selected. Unfortunately, a firmware or “do it yourself” solution is not possible to address this. Instead Acer has identified that a hardware level remedy is required. So currently our repair and contact centers are being brought up to speed to assist.

This means, we suggest contacting your local support team who can help setup the repair services. Our repair turnaround time is very short in most regions, which means you will only be without your X34 for a few days. Note that Acer is also taking steps to apply this solution to inventory that has not reached customers yet.

Again thank you for your patience and assistance in working through this.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Discussions/MULTIPLE-Problems-with-New-X34/m-p/394538#M1678 - Message 319 from Acer-Cory

Get ready to take it in the ass. If you can return, do it. Or you WILL be going through a massive RMA with Acer. Good luck.

Thanks for providing these updates.

I suspect we are seeing the reasoning for Asus delaying their own product until January... many issues to sort out.

I'm boxing mine up as we speak. So now I'm back to a TV for a monitor. Really disappointing as this monitor could have been amazing. I know I sound bitter, but I've spent probably 12+ hours in the last couple weeks doing nothing but trying different drivers, different settings, reinstalling WIndows, trying different cables, etc just to be told there are serious issues and no way for the user to fix them. They never should have been released in this bad of shape.

Yeah, crap... I think I'll go ahead and try to pick up the Dell on their Black Friday sale and ride it for a good 6 months or so, and see how the prices / models look mid next year.

I'm sure in a couple of years time we'll be sporting thin, fast OLED panels cut to a variety of sizes and looking back on today as the Dark Times, but it sucks to be in the market right now.

Yeah, crap... I think I'll go ahead and try to pick up the Dell on their Black Friday sale and ride it for a good 6 months or so, and see how the prices / models look mid next year.

I'm sure in a couple of years time we'll be sporting thin, fast OLED panels cut to a variety of sizes and looking back on today as the Dark Times, but it sucks to be in the market right now.

Exactly what I'm thinking of doing. I'm about to start reading up on the Dell and seeing how it is for gaming. I'm sure I can deal with it if I can get the $650 price point. I LOVE the 34" form factor.

I will wait it out... MS has a 30day return policy.

My X34 has waken from sleep over 100 times now.. I have had my screen only once, not wake. Had to cycle power on it, and computer to get it to come back on.

Back