Precision Boost Overdrive How Much Over Max Boost You Have

gerardfraser

[H]ard|Gawd
EDIT Aug 12 2019:Let me start by saying I was wrong and I apologize for any misinformation I supplied due to my ignorance. I was aware of Third-Party Monitoring Tools not being as accurate as Ryzen Master and I just ignored that fact all together.

I have started testing with Ryzen Master only now to see what the actual clocks on my Ryzen 3600X really is.Although I still get over Max Boost as what is written on the box so I have no recourse to complain to AMD or refund my CPU'S.Also they are still fast little CPU's Still happy.

I have only witness Cinebench20 hitting Max Boost on 2 cores as of testing today.I will test some more with different BIOS and if any change is observed I will post back.

3600-X-Ryzen-boost.png

EDIT:Guess my 3600X is getting like that AMD fine wine treatment with age:Boost now up to 4580Mhz.
4580m.png

So I was wondering how much over max boost can you get on a Ryzen 3xxx CPU and did AMD LIE lol.
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus + 3600X
Max Override Boost 182.1Mhz on 1-6 of 12 cores for total up to 4582.1Mhz.
Settings Used
My Settings for boost up to 4582.1Mhz
OS-1903 Build 18362.267
AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3
AMD_Chipset_Drivers_v1.07.29.0115-Release -July 30 2019 with AMD Ryzen™ Power Saver Plan
BIOS set to Enhanced Mode 4 for MSI Motherboard

My settings for videos boost up to 4525Mhz gaming/Cinebench
OS-1903 Build 18362.267
AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3
AMD_Chipset_Drivers_v1.07.07.0725-Release Day -July 7 2019 with AMD Ryzen™ Power Saver Plan
BIOS set to Enhanced Mode 4 for MSI Motherboard/LCC CPU/SOC 2

Updates to Precision Boost Overdrive Override for the AMD Ryzen 3000 Series can give an addition 200Mhz added to what is printed on the box.

Anyone have any luck going over max boost clock.

CPU-What is printer on the box.
Ryzen 9 3950X -4700 Max Boost
Ryzen 9 3900X -4600 Max Boost
Ryzen 7 3800X -4500 Max Boost
Ryzen 7 3700X -4400 Max Boost
Ryzen 5 3600X -4400 Max Boost
Ryzen 5 3600 -4200 Max Boost

MY 3600X Hitting 4500Mhz Cinebench 20

Video showing max over boost in a couple games and Valley Benchmark 1.0 running 4K where you need every Mhz J/K.

EG:
CPU -Printed On The Box-Ryzen 5 3600X -4400 Max Boost.Mine is happily hitting 4525Mhz for now.
ryzen.jpg

Updates to Precision Boost Overdrive for the AMD Ryzen 3000 Series

Last edited:
If you want to see max boost, run cinebench single core. AMD no longer advertises xfr, so you won't go over max boost without manual oc or base clock oc. Previous gens had max boost plus xfr, but that was max achievable even with pbo, and usually only on a single core.

I'd love to see BZ or Der8auer do a PBO video with mobos probed up.
Draw a line where power delivery is good enough for most users, and where achieving perfection is just an exercise.

Yeah I think I watched a video where BZ is going to Taiwan about BIOS and PBO I could be wrong and Der8auer is working on it also and could not talk about it.I could just be reading something that's not there but who knows.

You know - I didn't believe it, but then I watched your video and yeah it hit 4525. It's not all-core, obviously, but it's more cores than I expected.
It was usually only the first four and yeah was typically 4425 for most of the video, but it hit 4525 plenty during Unigine bench.

der8auer's video cast a lot of cold water on the headroom, but consistently getting say 4 or 6 cores to 4.5+ Ghz would go a long way.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-3700x/20.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-3900x/20.html
And here I was, thinking this privilege was only for the higher end SKUs. I hav

Seeing graphs like this is why I was quite skeptical of what you were saying though, and the expectation based on GN's review that 4.3Ghz was the typical all-core (but doesn't speak to only getting 4 or 6 cores as high as possible).

Another concern is that AMD is binning these even tighter than G.Skill and their RAM kits lol. My initial impression of the 3600X (over the regular 3600) was a plain cash grab, but if AMD is taking all the good chips out of that pool, they may be forcing our hand here. Silicon Lottery will be posting their Matisse listings in 6 days, so I'm curious to see their results on a much larger scale.

I haven't seen anything above 4.35 ghz on my 3700X. I'm guessing it's the X470. I have only gamed on it so far so I'm not expecting 4.4ghz all core clocks.

I'm running on a -0.05V offset and on a Noctua NH U12A

4.6 on lightly threaded apps would be great. Hope to see some BIOS revisions fix that.

Thanks for the replies.
I only play games and this is why a bought a couple of 3600X and not the 3600.I figured when AMD released or let people know about about the updates to PBO before launch.
I figure I could get 4500Mhz on at least one core and I knew out the gate 4600Mhz not likely yet until BIOS revisions.

So as of today like in video I can get up to 4525Mhz on 6 cores at the same time I thought but it maybe it is only 4 cores which is still good enough.So I am convinced with the 200 Extra MHZ is a real thing for AMD.Does it make a difference in gaming at high resolution probably not but in productivity it can.

mda
you need to enable it ,in the BIOS for example,my BIOS has room for up to 500Mhz extra over max boost clock

the way PB2 and PBO work is that no matter what settings you change within those options it'll never exceed the theoretical max boost clock set for that processor.. so if it's 4600 the most you'll ever get is 4600, if it's 4200 the most you'll get is 4200.. to exceed the max boost you can attempt to bypass it using the overclock offset but thermals will always be your limiting factor. the lower your temps the higher chance you have of exceeding the boost clock using the offset.

I have seen some cores boosting to 4650ghz on my 3900X.........in a game like Rage 2 all 12 cores were boosted to 4200ghz at about 50-52c and stayed at that level the whole time I was playing, Im happy with that.

the way PB2 and PBO work is that no matter what settings you change within those options it'll never exceed the theoretical max boost clock set for that processor.. so if it's 4600 the most you'll ever get is 4600, if it's 4200 the most you'll get is 4200.. to exceed the max boost you can attempt to bypass it using the overclock offset but thermals will always be your limiting factor. the lower your temps the higher chance you have of exceeding the boost clock using the offset.

Gamers Nexus showed that changing PBO settings and maxing all limits basically did nothing. They could achieve higher boosts by keeping the chip colder at stock settings.

AMD only guarantees hitting rated speed on the one fastest core. Not all.

I have seen some cores boosting to 4650ghz on my 3900X.........in a game like Rage 2 all 12 cores were boosted to 4200ghz at about 50-52c and stayed at that level the whole time I was playing, Im happy with that.

I would love to see this because everything I've seen myself, read and heard/watched on Youtube basically says that is impossible without doing manual over-clocking. PBO will simply not boost above the max boost clocks for any given CPU, in the case of the 3900x, that would be 4.6GHz

AMD only guarantees hitting rated speed on the one fastest core. Not all.

They don't guarantee it at all. It's a maximum achievable clock, far from a guaranteed one. The only thing you're guaranteed is the base clock.

Gamers Nexus showed that changing PBO settings and maxing all limits basically did nothing. They could achieve higher boosts by keeping the chip colder at stock settings.

correct. the offset opens the option for potentially higher boost clocks but doesn't guarantee you higher clock speeds. the silicon, temps will always limit you. pretty much like Steve from GN has said, you have to treat the processor and boosts clocks the same you would on a gpu.

I would love to see this because everything I've seen myself, read and heard/watched on Youtube basically says that is impossible without doing manual over-clocking. PBO will simply not boost above the max boost clocks for any given CPU, in the case of the 3900x, that would be 4.6GHz

it's probably just random spikes which can happen but it'll average out below 4600mhz unless he's using the offset and happens to have a golden chiplet on his cpu. everything else looks normal.

Last edited:

I have 4 cores that have boosted to 4650ghz and 1 to 4625ghz so far.

Capture.PNG

So this is showing the top 6 to cores have boosted to 4650hgz, I've monitored this since I got the 3900X and it isn't just a once off it is how the cpu has been operating.

Capture.PNG

3900X should be capable of hitting up to 4800Mhz on a proper BIOS.Here is another 3600X ,I bought 2 x 3600X
Desktop-Screenshot-2019-07-11-15-49-28-90-2.png

Isn’t max boost limited to a CCD? Like if you have two CCDs as in the 3900x you could have two cores at 4.6ghz? Seems that way but not sure.

Isn’t max boost limited to a CCD? Like if you have two CCDs as in the 3900x you could have two cores at 4.6ghz? Seems that way but not sure.

Well I do not have 2 CCD because only have 3600X where max boost on box 4400Mhz,I can do all core overclocks above MAx boost but it pointless because auto settings are better for me.
I would bet that 3900X is better binned and able to do as much or more than 1 CCD on 3600X.

Depending on load light load/ gaming I have seen 3CCX (6 Cores)boost up to 4525Mhz at the same time and with heavy loads/gaming I have seen all cores boost up to 4375Mhz of course heavy loads vary.

Some examples light loads Valley Benchmark,Alice Madness returns where CPU usage up to around 30% boost up to 4525Mhz (1-6 cores)
Alice2-Screenshot-2019-07-30-18-30-32-82.png

Unigine-Valley.jpg

Heavy gaming loads BF5,Kingdom Come where CPU usage up to around 90% boost up to 4375Mhz (1-all cores)May have it higher boost but I have not really looked that much.
Battlefield-V-Screenshot-2019-07-31-15-55-33-24.jpg

Kingdom-Come-Deliverance-Screenshot-2019-07-31-15-37-49-04.png

Really jelly of you guys getting even 4.4GHz out of the 3600X; I got a really crappy 3600X chip it seems, I've never seen it go beyond 4275MHz and routinely it will only hit around 4200MHz, never breaks 4110MHz all core; manually, all core is only capable of 4200MHz no matter how much voltage it gets, and it won't boot if Infinity Fabric goes any higher than 3533MHz.

Edit: These results are both with the stock cooler and now currently on a EKWB Supremacy EVO with 2x 360MM rads in the loop.

Really jelly of you guys getting even 4.4GHz out of the 3600X; I got a really crappy 3600X chip it seems, I've never seen it go beyond 4275MHz and routinely it will only hit around 4200MHz, never breaks 4110MHz all core; manually, all core is only capable of 4200MHz no matter how much voltage it gets, and it won't boot if Infinity Fabric goes any higher than 3533MHz.

Edit: These results are both with the stock cooler and now currently on a EKWB Supremacy EVO with 2x 360MM rads in the loop.

Yeah that is probably just a BIOS problem.I would suggest start with beta BIOS and try some different settings in BIOS,which you probably did already but I would think that any 3600X would hit Max boost clock if it had a proper BIOS.

Really the only thing I'm noticing, and is likely BIOS related as you said, is that my voltage caps at 1.45 during single core workloads where the people I see hitting minimum rated boost clocks or higher are hitting 1.5v. It may be some kind of voltage protection in the ASRock BIOS, though I haven't seen anything to remove that in the BIOS. I'll poke around some more and see what I find.

During all core workloads it does its normal thing by not allowing more than the safe 1.37v, usually hovering in the 1.32-1.35 range on all core workloads.

I tried the F41 Agesa 1003AB from Gigabyte and was not impressed. Its had my CPU fan constantly going to full blast with temps always going high for no real reason. Launching Chrome would shoot my temps up to 60c with the fan at full, that is ridiculous. I also tried Rage 2 which previously would stay at 4200ghz all cores and about 50-52c after 30 min, with the newest bios it was 4275ghz all cores and approaching 60c. after a few minutes.

So its back to F40 Agesa 1002 which has none of these mentioned problems, maybe next week with Agesa 1003ABB will be better but I doubt it, just another patch on 1003.

PBO is fully broken right now. Youre wasting your time with these dicussions until a resolution is released. Turn PBO off nad use boost only. I am hitting 4550 on avg on my 3900x

I tried the F41 Agesa 1003AB from Gigabyte and was not impressed. Its had my CPU fan constantly going to full blast with temps always going high for no real reason. Launching Chrome would shoot my temps up to 60c with the fan at full, that is ridiculous. I also tried Rage 2 which previously would stay at 4200ghz all cores and about 50-52c after 30 min, with the newest bios it was 4275ghz all cores and approaching 60c. after a few minutes.

So its back to F40 Agesa 1002 which has none of these mentioned problems, maybe next week with Agesa 1003ABB will be better but I doubt it, just another patch on 1003.

Therre is a new chipset driver that fixes a lot of issues with core parking etc.... google for it because I cant remember where I found the link but I am running the drivers now and my temperatures are vastly decreased due to how frequencies are handled, rampups, parking etc.... new ryzenmaster is the best tool to monitor the new temps. HWINfo 64 hasnt updated to the new algorithms yet.

According to AMD the way software has been reading the 3k series chips has been wrong and reading high. Temps are not really as high as the 3rd party softwares report. New Ryzen master reports 10c cooler than even the best 3rd party softwares.

I solved one issue with voltages by getting rid of ICue and G Hub running in the background. Now my voltages drop to .200v. I tried the new chipset drivers and they seemed worse so I went back to the current ones, but that was before I had removed ICue and G Hub.

Set your CPU to run like this in the BIOS under AMD overclocking.Hit Manual
AMDADVOC.png

Give a CPU a frequency and voltage
AMDADVOC4325-MHZ.png

Profit low voltage and tempeture and every CCD,CCX can sleep happy.Do anything and snappy happy again.
Desktop-Screenshot-2019-08-01-22-16-49-24.png

Last edited:
Stupid question: are you setting PBO to Auto or Enabled?

Not a stupid question.On my motherboard there several modes which can be set .
Auto
Disabled
Enhanced 1/2/3/4/
ECO 45W
ECO65W
Manual which brings up a whole other set of choices.

I am using the the following below.

My Settings for boost up to 4582.1Mhz
OS-1903 Build 18362.267
AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3
AMD_Chipset_Drivers_v1.07.29.0115-Release -July 30 2019 with AMD Ryzen™ Power Saver Plan
BIOS set to Enhanced Mode 4 for MSI Motherboard

My settings for videos boost up to 4525Mhz gaming/Cinebench
OS-1903 Build 18362.267
AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3
AMD_Chipset_Drivers_v1.07.07.0725-Release Day -July 7 2019 with AMD Ryzen™ Power Saver Plan
BIOS set to Enhanced Mode 4 for MSI Motherboard/LCC CPU/SOC 2

PBO is gonna vary from board to board. Best to leave AUTO as most of the time the extra settings have no affect ATM that will impact boost speeds. Pretty much these are dependent on 3 things mainly... Temps, Voltage, Silicon Lottery... Go watch the Nexus Gamer LN2 video and PBO scaling. Unless you have really cold temps or a bitching Closed WC loop it will be hard to reach Max boost clocks.

His board might be pushing the CPU. plus Ryzen Master is only software that shows true specs. Look at his bus(101.3mhz)/voltage maxing out in the 1.53v+ Everything is wacky. Plus if it is hit that speed theres no way its hitting that for more than 1-3sec... more than likely its hitting 4.3ghz+ under gaming load and 4.1-4.2ghz under extreme load

I'm at a loss of explanation...my 3900x on Gigabyte AORUS X570 Master, some cores can boost to 4298 when running AID64. Cinebench R20 can make all cores boost to 4198. Never got the 4525 or 4500 people are getting. A disappointment in term of OCing, but I do not run my system OCed at all, so I'm just happy running the system normally.

trying to do 4.4-4.5 all cores on a 3900x would almost certainly be unsustainable for any decent length of time on anything that isn't chilled. 4.3Ghz all core will be in the 80C range with custom loops, the voltage boost you'd need for 4.4-4.5 would start thermal throttling... and that's not getting into the problem of putting nearly 1.5v on the tiny silicone circuits for extended periods of time at those temps.

all for what amounts to an objectively insignificant increase in performance. At best, between 0 and 5% over normal precision boost.

Instead of pushing something like the 3900x to all core 4.4-4.5Ghz, your time would be better used in finding the right settings to just make it happy to boost to 4.3Ghz all core where it can run at that all day long if needed while still being able to hit your 4.5-4.6Ghz single core speeds on single threaded loads. Assuming you are able or the scheduler is able to pick the right core to run that single process on, since not all cores are capable of reaching the peak.

So far, I've seen no evidence that linux's process scheduler is aware of golden cores. They are all treated equally (since it's not numa either). Essentially the scheduler would need to implement some kind of heterogeneous arch setup like how arm systems have a mix of low power cores and high power cores. Zen2 is similarly a mix of low peak frequency cores (low power in this case) and a couple high frequency capable cores (our high power). But zen2 is not identified as a heterogeneous cpu. So there's no framework to automatically schedule processes correctly. This means you'll have to hope to get lucky that your single thread task gets scheduled on the high frequency core or manually set it.

Unless there's a mechanism to preferrably assign high priority tasks to a given cpu via sysfs or so.

Windows is probably in the same boat. Though, i wouldn't discount the second option existing.

Last edited:
I have the AORUS X570 Master as well and I haven't tried to push things too much as of yet. However, I am guessing I might be a bit more lucky in the silicon lottery than you as I was getting 4.5+ on 6 cores when pushing the full system with the rest hovering in the 4.2 - 4.3 range. I do have it on a water loop so that may be what's helping it get that little bit extra, as even under load I seem to have temps hovering around 55C.

Back