Precision Boost Overdrive and XFR Enhanced Confusion @ [H]

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by FrgMstr, May 1, 2018.

1. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

Precision Boost Overdrive and XFR Enhanced Confusion

We wanted to put together a quick overview about what Precision Boost 2 and XFR2 are NOT about. It seems that slides leaked, and faked, earlier in the 2nd generation Ryzen's development have clouded some people's understanding on what features are included, but more important which features are not.

yumnmycandy, primetime and Aenra like this.
  2. Aenra

Aenra Limp Gawd

What, more physics now? Pfft

On a serious note, i've seen mentions of PBO in the most recent Gigabyte BIOS discussions over at the official US forums, including specific BIOS versions that supposedly introduced it, subsequent ones that are now deemed 'more stable' and so on; will admit i took that for a fact as i conflated it with Asus' UEFI's similar PB2 "+"(?) functions. I thought Gigabyte's PBO was Asus' equivalent of stages (3) and (4).
    My PSU is arriving tomorrow, will finally be able to have a look for myself. Am now curious to see how Gigabyte has branded their version of PB2 "+".

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    FrgMstr likes this.
  3. ACC

ACC n00b

I just have to say that Gigabyte seems to lock their XFR2 + PBO on X370 to 140W. It could also be my air cooling limit though.

PBO setting in Gigabyte BIOS has PPT (package power tracking) , EDC (Electrical design current) , and TDC (thermal design current) as of F23D BIOS on X370.

In most usage even with cores or a whole CCX turned off it seems for my chip it hits the EDC limit first.

edit:
    It's a True Spirit 140 Power but my ambient is just shy of 80°F and it's in a Fractal R5 with 2 1500RPM Phanteks PH140 MP intake. It's the X370 Gaming 5.

I have a X470 G7 but I'm waiting on DDR4 3600 C16 to do a full comparison.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  4. Aenra

Aenra Limp Gawd

That's a bit low, what cooling are you employing? Oh, sorry, and which 370 mobo?

As to the latter, i have a lab rat for all of this, so starting tomorrow i can do what i never do, play around with multiple BIOSes, lol. What i want to see (as you've already answered one part, they do brand it as PBO) is the voltages; most giga AM4 boards are overboard even at stock settings. I have a lot of love for that company, but recently they've made me start looking elsewhere; looking, not heading, but.. definitely looking.
    If/when you have empirical data to show, by all means do post, always helps to compare.

5. FrgMstr

From what I have seen, the Precision Boost profile that are "beyond" stock all feel like just preset overclocking profiles that are not actually using XFR2. Getting to the MSI board next.

Aenra likes this.
  6. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks for the ongoing education about current and even forthcoming AMD tech/features.

What I really want to know, does this go to 11?

adwords-to-11.jpg

7. FrgMstr

No. If I spent my life verifying Youtubers and correcting them, that is all I would do.

Mav451, Pieter3dnow, jardows and 5 others like this.
  8. Aenra

Aenra Limp Gawd

More than understandable.

Unrelated to correcting Youtubers but pertinent to any Gigabyte mobo discussion, for those who don't know, dinos and sophos are two people whose word you can just take; for whatever they told you. Apart from no known incidents when they were (later) proven wrong, and that's rare, they're really helpful. They've also helped me personally with an X99 Designare; they're on the good side, kind of folks we need more of.
    This isn't a comment on their Youtube stuff, as i don't watch it, lol. This is heads-up in case your google-ing leads you to some of their posts.

9. noko

noko [H]ardness Supreme

This article gave me Enhanced Confusion :(

What about the non X chips? Older X370/B350 motherboards without bios updates?

Is the new PB2 and XFR supported in Linux? More a curiosity than anything else since looking at trying out Linux again.

10. Copyright

Copyright [H]ardness Supreme

I'm confused.. I have seen many videos of PBO working on asus and gigabyte mobo's. There is an option to enable it in the bios. So this isn't truly PBO working?

11. FrgMstr

It is the board builders' own adaptations of PBO. It is NOT an official AMD feature at this time.

yumnmycandy, Mav451 and Copyright like this.
  12. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

My guess is the bpo people are seeing in bios currently is a modified WiP version amd gave out to the manufactures for testing and they just kept it there. I'd expect amd's finalized version to be more refined.

13. FrgMstr

You might need to read the article you are commenting on here. AMD had never mentioned PB OVERDRIVE or XRF2 ENHANCED publicly as part of the launch. PB2+ and XFR2, they have. I explained this fully at the link below.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/05/01/precision_boost_overdrive_xfr_enhanced_confusion

14. Copyright

Copyright [H]ardness Supreme

I enabled PBO (Gigabytes options) and it did run the cores harder but also was showing 1.5V+ in Ryzen Master. I turned it back off.. extra heat meant extra noise which was annoying. After this I updated my firmware and now notice my chip no longer boosts to 4.35 like it did before.. curious now if I damaged it.

15. noko

noko [H]ardness Supreme

1.5 for a few cores for short period of time Should not hurt your cpu. I had over 1.8v on my first 1700x all the into Windows, until it shutdown which I then discovered going into the bios. In this case it did damage the cpu, I can no longer go above 1.4v now with or use XFR. Still it has been going 24/7 for the last 7 months at 3.4ghz mining at around 70% cpu usage without issue at lower voltages and clock speeds.