Pre-Wiring for Verizon FiOS

l008com

Limp Gawd
I'm renovating my whole house, including the attic. One end of my house is near the telephone pole where the lines come off the street, the other end is where my home office is. The closet in my home office has a networking wall, where all the equipment will be wall mounted, included any cable modems, routers, and ONTs.

I put a ton of wall mount low-voltage boxes in that wall so I can run everything to a nice clean port. Since I wasn't ready for my ISP when i started this, I made my own nice clean cable channel in the attic. And I put another box up in the attic right near the street side of the house. So if I get Comcast, all they have to do is drill into the street end of my house and plug directly into the existing coax port. The other end of that is in the wall in my home office.

I want to do the same thing for fios. I don't trust any of these guys to start drilling and running wires and all sorts of bullshit. But I don't know what kind of wire to run, and what kind of connectors? Hopefully they use something that has keystone ports available, so they can just plug right in to an existing port on the street side of the house, then in the office closet, mount the ONT and plug it right into the other end of the pre-ran optical cable.

Not that it matters for optical, but all of these data cables and all of the future ethernet cables all have planned out locations to keep them away from all of the electrical. It's really an ideal setup and i do not want comcast coming in and fucking it up. Or verizon.

I'm running FiOS right now and I just drilled a hole in my wall from my office to outside since my ONT is right below the window. Then I fed a Cat5e through the wall, caulked and terminated both ends. Took me all of about 40 minutes, the hardest as finding the exact spot to drill through because my house is 77 years old and god knows what's in the walls.

all they are going to do is install ONT, and run Cat 5 from it to your router, if you supply all the items, all they have to do is install the ONT on a wall that faces the exterior of your house. (there is an internal backup battery in the older models which i have that is internal, and the external box itself.)

Guy's I'm not talking about running ethernet from my ONT to my network. I'm talking about the fiber cable that comes from the street and goes to the ONT. That's what I want to run myself so they don't have to do it and mess things up.

Guy's I'm not talking about running ethernet from my ONT to my network. I'm talking about the fiber cable that comes from the street and goes to the ONT. That's what I want to run myself so they don't have to do it and mess things up.

The probably would never use that fiber you ran, so there's not much you can do. Just put a conduit in for them that goes from the outside of the house into your wiring closet, so when you do get fiber they don't have to do any drilling.

ONT is your demarc iirc, dunno if you can ask them to put in anywhere else, but my cable is buried and runs out to the box in the street to the box behind my house, its all exterior work, and at least in my area we have no overhead lines.

My town has no underground lines, everything is on poles. And in new england, all ONTs go inside, usually in the basement. But mines going in the closet. Or it's not going.

i would put a conduit or access for them through the wall to the exterior from your office, my setup its like 3 cables, 2 cat 5-6 and 1 coax, rest are for the PSU backup

Run conduit and leave a pull string.

The telco around here runs their own drop and IW to the ONT. It doesn't matter if they are running copper from an exterior ONT or fiber to an interior ONT, they run it to the "modem/gateway".

The best thing you can do is run conduit all the way outside to a pull box located within 3' of your power meter. Put the other end of the conduit wherever all your IW comes together. Basement, attic, media panel, whatever.

Any installer that ever comes to your house will thank you.

Back