Pre-Paid Phone Owners Must Identify Themselves

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to Gizmodo, Spain will disconnect all pre-paid phone lines that aren't registered with the owner's personal information. In other news, Spain allows people to buy cell phones without showing any form of ID whatsoever.

The move comes as part of a campaign that orders people to "Identify yourself!", just like when Franco was a dictator. They want pre-paid phones to be associated with the user's personal information, including name, address, and national ID numbers.

In other news, Spain allows people to buy cell phones without showing any form of ID whatsoever.

Errrr... They don't allow this in the US?

In Canada I can walk into any of hundreds of stores and buy pre-paid phones with cash and never tie my identity to them whatsoever unless I try to re-fill the phone's balance...

Um you can find pre-paid cell phones in the impulse item racks at checkout counters in Wal-marts.

there are prepaid fone vending machines on NJ garden state parkway rest stops

I think terrorists or whatever are going to steal phones anyway if they want to remain anonymous when calling, so if this is to prevent that sort of thing it's going to fail.

In Greece too this time wich we speak the vote for this new
law.

Errrr... They don't allow this in the US?

In Canada I can walk into any of hundreds of stores and buy pre-paid phones with cash and never tie my identity to them whatsoever unless I try to re-fill the phone's balance...

I was also surprised by this. Looks like the land of the free is still one step ahead of the rest of the world when it comes to removing peoples rights, freedom and privacy...

Then again I've probably "identified" myself since I've used my credit card to buy more minutes. Should have paid in cash. Heck, sometimes I'm tempted to just cut my credit card to pieces and pay everything in cash.. It's not hard to imagine some Stasi-like building with a flashing red dot that appears on a map every time you use a cc, make a call, buy train tickes etc.
Looks like Orwell's description of 1984 was pretty accurate.. it just took the world another 25 years longer than he anticipated to get there.

I was also surprised by this. Looks like the land of the free is still one step ahead of the rest of the world when it comes to removing peoples rights, freedom and privacy...

Then again I've probably "identified" myself since I've used my credit card to buy more minutes. Should have paid in cash. Heck, sometimes I'm tempted to just cut my credit card to pieces and pay everything in cash.. It's not hard to imagine some Stasi-like building with a flashing red dot that appears on a map every time you use a cc, make a call, buy train tickes etc.
Looks like Orwell's description of 1984 was pretty accurate.. it just took the world another 25 years longer than he anticipated to get there.

this is about SPAIN
in the US you can still buy pre-paid
stop grinding your axes guys

this is about SPAIN
in the US you can still buy pre-paid
stop grinding your axes guys

Look, up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's the point wooshing right over your head! :p

The discussion was about this comment.

In other news, Spain allows people to buy cell phones without showing any form of ID whatsoever.

Which makes no sense specifically because you can get cell phones anywhere in North America without showing ID.

not completely over my head:
"Spain will disconnect all pre-paid phone lines that aren't registered with the owner's personal information."

ok, it went over my head, lol

Maybe this will be like a NYC gun deal. Spain will be upset that they have cell phones coming to their country from the USA because their law isn't working. So let's pressure other countries into having not having no ID phones. :rolleyes:

We are supposed to take details over here in Oz now too. It doesn't stop real crims true, but it can give police a launch point to investigate.
ie Phone was purchased at x. Check security cameras covering that point and you may get a pic of the perp.
If the staff are cluey as well you can pick up the fake IDs. At my store we picked up one lady using a fake ID and she was deported back to Korea (or somewhere near there) after she went to court.

I'm sorry. I must have missed the "right to buy prepaid phones without providing identification" amendment. :rolleyes:

Back