Prblems with AMD 64 3200+

DarkLegacy

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, its an atual system problem. Didn't know where to put this post at so any of the mods can feel free to move it to an appropiate forum area as needed. Was building my new system last night. I do have knowledge of system building & never had a prob. When it was finally done, plugged everything up, powered up, but nothing. Everything started up, DVD Drive, Hardrive, the cathode lights, fans, floppy, etc, but my monitor stood blank. My immediate assumption was maybe something wasnt compatible or something was simply dead. After checking & filtering everything out, I was left with the following 4 devices.

MSI k8N Neo Platinum - http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=13-130-457&DEPA=1
AMD 64 3200+ New Castle (754)
Corsair XMS 512mb (1 stick) PC 3200 - http://www.corsair.com/corsair/products/specs/cmx512-3200.pdf
Antec Smartblue 350w PSU ( Does have the 4 pin connection)

I do believe in buying at your own risk, so it would be on my ass if I bought something dead, or DOA. I did get the Mobo. CPU & ram off of these forums.The PSU was a pullout from my older setup, it ran perfectly fine with it. Im really hoping that something is simply not compatible, either way im sure I will most likly have to pick something new up. My question to the gurus here is trying to figure out what is either dead, or just wont work in this system. Or if anyone has any advice or tips to figuring out what is dead.

The ram will be tested at a friends house, he uses a generic brand of Kingston. So I will test my stick in his system & the stick he has in mines to see if thats the issue. As have no real way of testing the motherboard or CPU at the moment, or ways that I know of in that matter.

So to sum it up, system doesnt seem to start up properly. Everything starts up but the monitor stays blank which leaves me to believing something is dead. I rather buy a new part than have to settle with going to Comp USA & having them check it out. (Knowing how much they'll chrge). Any help is greatly appreciated =).

Side Note: If anyone is in the NYC area has an AMD 64 setup & is willing to help me figure out whats dead in my system, PM me. Willing to negotiate an undisclosed sum of payment for the help.

-DarkLegacy

That PSU only appears to carry 16 AMPS on the 12 volt rail, a bit lite. You didn’t mention what video card you were using, but if it’s one that takes the AUX power input you simply might not have enough power.

Start by pulling the motherboard out of the case, put in only the cpu and HSF and listen for “beep codes”. If you get that far add the RAM, then the video card and see if you can get to the bios.

Let’s start there

The video card was an ATI Radeon 9800Se, but swapped it with a weaker Geforce 2 MX 400 earlier to test with that. Problem still insisted. I didn't hear no beeps at all no matter what I did so dunno if something is wrong in that area. This is my pentuim 3 system im on now so i gotta keep going back & forth with the PSU (Only got 1 at the moment until I hut down my other PSU, wherever tahts at). I was able to take note of the D bracket LED's on the back. Accordng to MSI, this is suppose to narrow down the problem, so this is what I got.

Green -> o o <- Red 1 2
Red -> o o <- Red 3 4

According to the MSI site, that means "Early Chipset Initialization'". whatever that means =).So I guess the first thing to do is to figure out the beeping issue. Since I didn't hear no beeps through the whole time of swapping out & testing different parts.

-DarkLegacy

Have you pulled the motherboard out of the case and tried just bench building it?

No I have yet to do that =). Currently gathering alot of things to do so i can do them all by tonight & report the results after Im done. May consider getting a more stronger PSU. In the range of an enermax 450 to see if that was the problem.

-DarkLegacy

Welp, rip it all out and let us know what you find.

Luck

BillR said:
Have you pulled the motherboard out of the case and tried just bench building it?
seconded.
and for the psu, i highly recommend an ocz powerstream. the 420watt model works just fine for the system in my sig.

Ok, I wll check into that series & may put an order in for one. Keep em coming, realyl want to get this thing going. Theres no rush to fix it, very patient, I just wanna make sure nothing is dead.

-DarkLegacy

something that's a relatively quick test:
first, try booting while holding down the insert key. this will make the ram clock down some.
second, reset the bios if you haven't already (i didn't see any mention of you doing so)

and lastly, your ram is rated for cas3.
prior to bios 1.5, i couldn't boot my system with cas3, regardless of the speed/voltage/other timings. it just wouldn't work. try out some ram that does either cas2 or cas2.5 as stock, that might fix the problem, go into windows and flash bios 1.5, then see if your ram will work. (assuming that this is the problem)

No clue on the bios version, Will have to check with the seller. System doesnt boot into the post screen so I know no info at the moment. Once I can get that far, then I could solve others things at that point.

-DarkLegacy

what is your friend's ram rated for? if it's generic stuff, i'm not too sure if it'll be less than cas3 either.
got any other really nice friends nearby? ;)

lol, yeah, alot of good friends here. Mostly from my HS & college days. All have comps but mostly AMD XP setups. So im out of luck as to testing my AMD 64 in that area =P.

-DarkLegacy

If it helps any here are my specs I had when I used the board:
A64 3000+
2X 512MB Crucial Ballistix PC-3200
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
2X Optical drives
2X WD Raptors
1X Seagate 200GB
460W Seasonic Super Silencer PSU

I initially had problems with the memory when it was first installed, but running memtest overnight seemed to fix it. Hope this helps.

ahhh ok thx. I will probally see if anyone I know happens to have a 2 or 2.5 cas ram. Hopfulyl one does, see if that has anything to do with it.

-DarkLegacy

Another quick thought, if the person you bought it from tried to flash the bios from windows and was overclocked...well....that doesn't work well as a rule. Might want to ask about that too. ;)

Oceancyc was the one that I bought the board from. I think theres nothing wrong with the board really, I do trust him. He posted above what his specs were prior to selling it to me. Im leaning towards either the PSu or ram being the prob at the moment. If the ram runs on a friends comp, Imma most likly pick up a much better stick of ram & sell this one pretty cheap. With tight timings such as 2-2-2-5. Then the PSU. In the meantime, I will continue to do everything that is mentioned in this thread to see if I get any luck.

-DarkLegacy

Back