Practical advantages of a monoblock?

Discussion in 'Water Cooling' started by VanGoghComplex, May 18, 2017.

1. VanGoghComplex

VanGoghComplex Limp Gawd

I'm considering a Gigabyte Aorus motherboard, and I see EK makes a monoblock for it. My CPU is already under an XSPC Raystorm, which seems to function alright, and I wouldn't mind reusing it. But, as long as one is available for the mobo I'm looking at, I thought I'd ask.

What's the practical advantage of active VRM cooling? More stable overclocks?

2. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] [H]ard|News Staff Member

I've never used a monoblock, so I have no personal experience, but all of my research suggests the following:

• For most users monoblocks are primarily for aesthetics
    • If you win the silicon lottery and get a CPU that can handle much higher than average overclocks, having the cooler VRM's MIGHT help the system be more stable, but this only applies to a small minority of users.
    • Cooler VRM's may extend motherboard lifespan, but probably beyond the boards active useful life anyway.
    • Most people just do it for peace of mind, so they won't have that nagging feeling in the back of their minds that "maybe 4.9 Ghz would have been stable if I'd only gotten a monoblock". It may not actually help, but at least now they are not doubting themselves for the life of the build.
    This is what I have read, and it makes rational sense to me, so I tend to believe it. I have no hard data to back it up though.

3. DWolvin

DWolvin [H]ard|Gawd

Agreed on all points, and if you are not a monoblock person, brackets holding a fan over the VRM's also works.

4. Bandalo

Bandalo [H]ard|Gawd

It really depends on the airflow in your case. In particular if you're going with a custom WC loop, you might have much lower airflow over the motherboard and socket area than the MB designers expected. I think that was the case with my setup.

I put one on my Asus X99 build after I noticed the VRMs were sitting at 70-75C. Now they're probably rated to 100C, so I'm sure they were perfectly stable, but I'm a bit paranoid sometimes. I didn't want to rig another fan, or move radiators around to promote more airflow across the VRMs, so I got a EK monoblock. It looks nice, and the temps dropped to the 45C range on the VRMs.

I've since moved everything to a new case, and I think I'll skip the monoblock on the next upgrade. The new layout has much better airflow across the RAM and VRM blocks.

5. VanGoghComplex

VanGoghComplex Limp Gawd

Thanks for the replies, guys. Since I'm not doing any balls-to-the-wall overclocking, my case fan situation is a little overboard, and the EK block costs the economy of some smaller countries, I'll pass on it.

... for now hahahaha