PPT To Get Schools/Colleges/etc. FOLDING!

Carnival Forces

Supreme [H]ardness
as you all undoubtedly remember from this thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=783019

i was planning to develop a PPT to help the campaign to borg.

i have done it. i need a host.

once it gets hosted, download it and verify that all the effects (i have no sound effects, just textual) work (i did it in Open Office, not in M$ppt). Additionally, any constructive criticism is much appreciated.

now someone host it please! :p

Any objections if I put up a tutorial on setting up your own netboot server and a ramdisk image? It's about 14 mb total, but it gets the job done. I promise to make it smaller :cool:

Right now the reason it's so big is it's got things like mplayer, elinks, all that stuff on it. I was using it as my primary box for a while :rolleyes: . I can definitely take some of that out. I would guess total eventual size at 8mb + 500k (?) for the tutorial text + pics.

Fold on, dude.

unhappy_mage said:
Any objections if I put up a tutorial on setting up your own netboot server and a ramdisk image? It's about 14 mb total, but it gets the job done. I promise to make it smaller :cool:

Right now the reason it's so big is it's got things like mplayer, elinks, all that stuff on it. I was using it as my primary box for a while :rolleyes: . I can definitely take some of that out. I would guess total eventual size at 8mb + 500k (?) for the tutorial text + pics.

Fold on, dude.
no problem, by all means please upload that tutorial! just edit the html to include your link and we're good to go... :)

okay, uploading the thingamabob now, tutorial when I finish it :rolleyes:

the ppt looks fine on my OOo, except for the spell chekc problems... just a few, but me = grammar nazi.

freewebs said:
FreeWebs accounts newer than 7 days are provisional and can only upload files up to 750K. Provisional users also can not upload .exe files. You can remove this provision immediately by signing up for a premium service.
just as well, i'll prolly need that long to set it up...
as for spelling problems... i'll get back to you in a few. i don't have OOo on this machine.

unhappy_mage said:
okay, uploading the thingamabob now, tutorial when I finish it :rolleyes:

the ppt looks fine on my OOo, except for the spell chekc problems... just a few, but me = grammar nazi.
oh noes! where?? point it out to me and i'll reload it w/o the spelling problems...

i really want someone w/ M$ ppt to test this out as most schools/colleges/etc. run windnoes...

slide 8 - "In essance, Folding @ Home recycles wasted cycles." it should be essEnce, not essAnce. but without the caps. you know.

also, periods at the ends of sentences might be useful

on slide 12, if you could delay the picture of the lightbulb until it is mentioned, it would probably work better.

and i don't like the transition to all red on the last non-references slide. maybe just on the question or something? i'd have to see it first...

wrt references: when you use the same reference, you should just use the same number, not add a new one, unless you are referencing a specific part (i.e. folding.stanford.edu/whyshouldi and folding.stanford.edu/whyshouldnti versus folding.stanford.edu for both) and make sure that all the urls are either links or plain text. 2-4 and 10 are all plain text but the rest are hyperlinks.

looks good otherwise, though.

I thought the information was pretty good, but the first slide is "Terminal Diseases Are Caused By Misfolding". I think I'd start out with "What Is Protein Folding?" before pointing out what diseases are caused by misfolding.

Also, when talking about what F@H is, maybe mention that it's run by Stanford University and give a little history behind it, like how long the program has been going. I don't think Stanford even gets a mention til the citations at the end. Throw out credentials likely to impress and don't shy away from naming names.

And I'm not saying you should go overboard with graphics and bells & whistles (like swooshing transition effects), but you could perhaps apply a bit jazzier of a template. :)

oh yeah - i'd also think about the title "Terminal Diseases Are Caused By Misfolding" - i'd either say "Terminal Diseases Caused By Misfolding" or "Terminal Diseases That Are Caused By Misfolding" because a list follows. maybe it's just me, though.

Sweet! Thanks Carnival, I'll see if I can get in to see out IT manager tomorrow. :)

okay, tutorial uploaded, and index modified.

more coming when the 7 day limit is up...

edit: 7 days still not up :(

unhappy_mage said:
okay, tutorial uploaded, and index modified.

more coming when the 7 day limit is up...

edit: 7 days still not up :(
kekeke yeah, those seven days take a loooooong time :eek: :p

fooey, looks like they count 7 days very literally. I won't be home at 6:56 or i would be uploading then. as it is, looks like it'll be more like 10.

halloween party, good; not home, not so good.

unhappy_mage said:
fooey, looks like they count 7 days very literally. I won't be home at 6:56 or i would be uploading then. as it is, looks like it'll be more like 10.

halloween party, good; not home, not so good.
halloween party? what are you doing...dressing up the boxen? :p

whoops, i miscounted... tonight is the night when I can finally upload that stuff.

has anyone read the tutorial yet? i didn't mind making it, but it's be nice to see someone use it.

you know where I'll be tonight at 7...

edit: no, I was Peter Parker. Y'see, you take the spiderman costume and put normal clothes over top. Yes I'm hilarious, I know. :rolleyes:

uh...

i can't seem to upload _anything_. I tried a 71 byte file and it didn't go...

?

edit: wtf it's working now. I have about 10mb to transfer over 160kb uplink, so it'll be a while.

edit2: woohoo indeed. Here it is!

unhappy_mage said:
uh...

i can't seem to upload _anything_. I tried a 71 byte file and it didn't go...

?

edit: wtf it's working now. I have about 10mb to transfer over 160kb uplink, so it'll be a while.

edit2: woohoo indeed. Here it is!
omg, it si t3h prettay....i'll look at it more when i get upstairs and see if i can actually understand it :p....
....brb

Carnival Forces said:
omg, it si t3h prettay....i'll look at it more when i get upstairs and see if i can actually understand it :p....
....brb
so could you understand it, or did it break you? looks simple enough to me (but i've done linux stuff before)

oh - clever manipulation of the email address:p

CF, did the beauty kill you?

...or do you need help understanding my unintelligible scrawls? :rolleyes:

unhappy_mage said:
CF, did the beauty kill you?

...or do you need help understanding my unintelligible scrawls? :rolleyes:
i actually went upstairs, got derailed by a CS match, and never came back to the "real life" so many speak of...as of now...it's the week so i am (read i should) be working on homework :( i'll look at it ASAP.

yeah dude I understand how that is! i just finished a paper. no fun.

real life may be an illusion, but homework is real.

this needs a bump. plus all the files you should need can now be downloaded off my server.

As long as this has a bump, might as well post on it. First off, thanks to runt for hosting the files for this project, it's a big help.

Now, how about some updates? I have been working (intermittently :rolleyes: ) on a bigger/better version of this. What I came up with is a "server" version. It still needs some work, especially on the installer, but it's workable in its current state, I think. However, the problem is that this version is based on Damn Small Linux, which is all fine and good, except that the server is now 62 MB instead of 4. Since I don't want to place undue strain on anyone's servers, I've started a project on Sourceforge. I'll get confirmation (or denial :( ) by Tuesday or so. At that point, anyone who wants to look at it will be more than welcome. So that's the hosting, hopefully. What's the server like?

The server is going to be fairly simple to use. It will come in the form of an ISO image, which you burn and take over to your "server" machine and boot from. You answer all the questions, it installs to a hard drive (mandatory), and then reboot. It asks you about folding's client config, and then you turn on clients and stir. It'll probably have nice stuff like an Etherboot wizard, but right now it's fairly spartan. It does have EM3-like capabilities built-in, so that you can open a webpage and see how all of the clients are doing.

So there you have it. Feel free to post news about this on other forums (once SF gives me an answer, please, I don't want to let everyone down if they reject it) and give it a try.

Arkaine23? It's on :D .

Fold on, [H]ard brothers.

Back