Powering external fans through PS3?

mwin

2[H]4U
I want to put my ugly-ass PS3 in the drawer of my media stand, in my living room. I figure I should have a couple of 120mm fans to help with air circulation. Is there an easy to use adapter that I can wire off the USB, or an easy enough way to wire them off the internals? Five volts would probably be enough, so I'm thinking USB would be the way to go, but I haven't seen any USB to Molex adapters on the webs. Any help would be appreciated.

I want to put my ugly-ass PS3 in the drawer of my media stand, in my living room. I figure I should have a couple of 120mm fans to help with air circulation. Is there an easy to use adapter that I can wire off the USB, or an easy enough way to wire them off the internals? Five volts would probably be enough, so I'm thinking USB would be the way to go, but I haven't seen any USB to Molex adapters on the webs. Any help would be appreciated.

USB only give UPTO 2.5W... 5V, 500mA... :(

Where is that drawer mod I saw on OCN...

EDIT: well, you can always disassemble one of those laptop coolers that run off of USB...

Just last week I took some antec tri cools and ripped the molex adapter off and took a usb to mini usb cable and cut the end off of that. Just go red to red and black to black and you will be good.

I tested on a little usb hub I had laying around that had a power adapter. If that had caused the escape of any magic smoke it would not have hurt my feelings as much as if the PS3 usb adapter had been involved. I have mine in the cabinet under the TV without a door or anything on the front. Even with the 120mm fan in the back of the cabinet blowing out, the PS3 kicks up to that 3rd fan speed. Back to the drawing board for me.

You can buy usb fans
http://thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1295&ID=1914

Or you can make your own. Its not too hard to splice a 3 pin fan header to a usb cable.

I ordered 2 of the 120mm fans. I dont care for TT, but it was the simplest solution. Plus it has speed control.

I took off the stand, cut holes and mount holes and just threaded in small bolts to fasten the fans and guards to the back of my cabinet.
Fans power on and off with the PS3.

I have them both running exhaust right at the rear, door infront has gaps for fresh air to enter. Have kids so it was the only real way to cool without exposing fans to tiny fingers.
Right behind fans is the wall and my cold air return vent is right there

Total cost was sub $20CDN

I ordered 2 of the 120mm fans. I dont care for TT, but it was the simplest solution. Plus it has speed control.

I took off the stand, cut holes and mount holes and just threaded in small bolts to fasten the fans and guards to the back of my cabinet.
Fans power on and off with the PS3.

I have them both running exhaust right at the rear, door infront has gaps for fresh air to enter. Have kids so it was the only real way to cool without exposing fans to tiny fingers.
Right behind fans is the wall and my cold air return vent is right there

Total cost was sub $20CDN
Yeah I see your stand has that cardboard backing thing. My TV stand had the same thing and the first night I gamed on it I removed it. The heat around the PS3 was like an oven. I'd rather have an open backed tv stand than a overheated PS3. I mean, an open back would probably look better than masking tape, right?

Back