Powerful ClockTuner Optimization App For AMD Ryzen Zen 2 CPUs Launches September 29

erek

[H]F Junkie
"The utility works its magic at the Core Complex (CCX) level, and is capable of undervolting each of the clusters individually, and without disabling any of AMD's energy saving technologies. In addition, it configures overclocked settings depending on how the clusters respond, using a step-by-step algorithm to adjust the frequencies of each CCX.

Previously, Guru3D offered up some performance claims based on its testing of a pre-release build. Using the CTR utility, the site was able to achieve a 7 percent performance gain from a 12-core/24-thread Ryzen 9 3900X, with a 9.5 percent reduction in power consumption. And from a 24-core/48-thread Ryzen Threadripper 3960X, the site saw a 5 percent performance jump and 4.5 percent power consumption reduction, from using the utility. Not too shabby."

https://hothardware.com/news/clocktuner-optimization-app-amd-ryzen-zen-2-cpus

I had read about this tool other places. Seems pretty cool. Anyone here try it yet?

Nice. I've been waiting to see this in action. Last time I OC'd an AMD CPU was my Opteron 165. Things are much different now. Hope it does a little something nice for my 3800X even though I hear it does better for Ryzen 9+

I'll check this out just for the power draw reduction. Excited to see something cool for the 3700x build I just put together.

I'll check this out just for the power draw reduction. Excited to see something cool for the 3700x build I just put together.
The way I heard it this is mostly only useful on the big cpus with many CCX-es. I don't expect much if any result on my 3700x.

I'll give it a go. Haven't actually attempted any CCX or core specific overclocks yet for Ryzen.

Looks like I'm assed out. This Asrock B450 Fatal1ty ITX board doesn't have LLC options.:(

I got to give this a try... Improvement in performance and less power... That's double win win... I'll report back w/ results - my specs in sig.

I got to give this a try... Improvement in performance and less power... That's double win win... I'll report back w/ results - my specs in sig.
I just did mine and in the process, I had to update my BIOS first.

Ran mine... An improvement!

Tips;
Follow the guide, it's a bit not direct and straightforward but read it first.
Run Diagnose FIRST
Select Either Undervolt Settings or Overclock Settings based on the log of the Diagnose test.
Click START
Wait for it to finish
Check Benchmark for Results
Either Save & Apply Settings or etc... All up to you at this point.
1601521403070.png

I just did mine and in the process, I had to update my BIOS first.

Ran mine... An improvement!

Tips;
Follow the guide, it's a bit not direct and straightforward but read it first.
Run Diagnose FIRST
Select Either Undervolt Settings or Overclock Settings based on the log of the Diagnose test.
Click START
Wait for it to finish
Check Benchmark for Results
Either Save & Apply Settings or etc... All up to you at this point.
View attachment 284467
That's freaking sweet!

Anyone with a 3600/3600X tried this yet?
I'm going to run it later on my 3600X when I'm doing other stuff. Though the notes say it might not work well with AsRock boards, and I'm running an x570 Taichi so we'll see.

I'm going to run it later on my 3600X when I'm doing other stuff. Though the notes say it might not work well with AsRock boards, and I'm running an x570 Taichi so we'll see.

Well, if you do run it, please post the results.

Anyone with a 3600/3600X tried this yet?

I've tried with 3700x, it tripped the temp alert during diagnose stage. I use the stock cooler.
Anyway, don't see much point in this. Undervolting does not lower the temperature or wattage all that much.

I've tried with 3700x, it tripped the temp alert during diagnose stage. I use the stock cooler.
Anyway, don't see much point in this. Undervolting does not lower the temperature or wattage all that much.

The limited testing i did with my 3600x when they first came out seemed to show undercoating reducing the cinebench score slightly, so I quit doing it. Otoh, if it did reduce tempos, that would be useful to some people.

Looks like I'm assed out. This Asrock B450 Fatal1ty ITX board doesn't have LLC options.:(
I have the same board, haven't even looked at this at all, matter of fact, had to RMA just to get 3700x running in my board. My first board said ryzen 3000 ready, but wouldn't boot (was on the latest bios) with my 3700x, but ran 100% stable with my 1600. RMA, new board boots and runs perfect with my 3700x. I did notice it had a different part #, even though it's the same model #, so no clue if there was some weird issue that was fixed.

Right, this is just another pointless tweaking tool for people who "feel the need to constantly keep touching something."

IF your changes are under 5%, you are not going to notice.

people who "feel the need to constantly keep touching something."
I think the word you are looking for is "Enthusiast" AKA the vast majority of the people on this forum.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go rebuild my number 3 backup NAS for the 9th time this month. I had a file transfer that night that was 109MB/s instead of 110.

so when it is done with the tweaking, does it store the settings in the firmware/BIOS, or does it load them at startup of the OS?
I may make temp boot drive to windows, let it tweak itself (store to BIOS), and then switch back to linux.

I think the word you are looking for is "Enthusiast" AKA the vast majority of the people on this forum.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go rebuild my number 3 backup NAS for the 9th time this month. I had a file transfer that night that was 109MB/s instead of 110.

No, I'm a 25-year computer enthusiast. I just don't feel the need to create Makework for myself (unlike hardcore optimizer like yourself.)

Get it overclocked once, then don't touch it for five years. I have enough issues t deal with in real life that I don't have to make work for myself.

Folks like you are the same people who put countless hours maintaining/constantly changing one of the several-dozen different Windows Managers under Linux...even though they all do basically the same thing. You have to change something to feel like you are making progress (even though you could just leave it alone, sand go do something more productive).

You are either rich (and your free time is limitless), or you have a problem prioritizing your time/saying no to "yet-another-distraction" (most of the folks maintaining free software). I'm assuming you fall into one of the two.

There are a lot more PC Enthusiasts who don't have your problem, but you tend to be the most vocal (and pretend that, because you don't hear anyone else complaining, they all must agree)

Last edited:
No, I'm a 25-year computer enthusiast. I just don't feel the need to create Makework for myself (unlike hardcore optimizer like yourself.)

Get it overclocked once, then don't touch it for five years. I have enough issues t deal with in real life that I don't have to make work for myself.

Folks like you are the same people who put countless hours maintaining/constantly changing one of the several-dozen different Windows Managers under Linux...even though they all do basically the same thing. You have to change something to feel like you are making progress (even though you could just leave it alone, sand go do something more productive).

You are either rich (and your free time is limitless), or you have a problem prioritizing your time/saying no to "yet-another-distraction" (most of the folks maintaining free software). I'm assuming you fall into one of the two.

There are a lot more PC Enthusiasts who don't have your problem, but you tend to be the most vocal (and pretend that, because you don't hear anyone else complaining, they all must agree)

Planning your life around 100% production efficiency must really suck. I get the feeling it also causes quite a bit of bitterness.

I'll stick to enjoying the things I enjoy doing even if it doesn't garner your perfect efficiency seal of approval.

Wow.

Climb down off your pedestal, pull the stick out of your rear end and realize that not everything in the world is a personal attack. The rest of us saw the humor. Get over yourself.

And here I stand upon a mountain between valleys.

On one side, busy-body over-achievers who can't keep their hands off their hardware, and on the other, "I only do REAL work" "All work, no play," snobs on the other.

So here I am, tinkering around in my hardware in order to achieve that perfectly optimized configuration that enables me to do SIGNIFICANTLY more ACTUAL work, in 97% less time.
You fools are so beneath me it's not even funny. It's worse than funny. It's hilarious.

And here I stand upon a mountain between valleys.

On one side, busy-body over-achievers who can't keep their hands off their hardware, and on the other, "I only do REAL work" "All work, no play," snobs on the other.

So here I am, tinkering around in my hardware in order to achieve that perfectly optimized configuration that enables me to do SIGNIFICANTLY more ACTUAL work, in 97% less time.
You fools are so beneath me it's not even funny. It's worse than funny. It's hilarious.

LOL must be nice knowing in your mind only how superior you are! 😁

Let's see how ye old 3950x does with this.

Edit: This thing definitely roots out the weak leg CCX pretty quick, that's for sure.

3600x water cooled on Asus B450-F. Think ill leave it stock.

Attachments

• nope.png
    nope.png
    128.2 KB · Views: 0
3600x water cooled on Asus B450-F. Think ill leave it stock.

why does your 3600x score lower than my air-cooled 3600, while mine has to deal with so many applications running that i'm using 12gb before even starting cb20?

so when it is done with the tweaking, does it store the settings in the firmware/BIOS, or does it load them at startup of the OS?
I may make temp boot drive to windows, let it tweak itself (store to BIOS), and then switch back to linux.
Thought I would bump this since new revision was released.
For those who have tried, do the optimized setting get loaded at OS boot or are they written to the UEFI?

Back