Powered USB C Hubs & Docks

AVT

Supreme [H]ardness
What USB C hubs is everybody using?

I purchased the Kensington SD4600P, and unfortunately it seems to function on and off. The problem is that sometimes it will do 4k@60hz DisplayPort, sometimes it won't and drops to 1080p (unacceptable). Unless I can figure out what is the problem, I'll be returning it and getting something else.

I need 3x USB, ethernet, 4k 60hz DisplayPort, and power. It seems that the Kensington dock is the only one on the market right now (modulo other brands that are selling the exact same design such as CalDigit) that claims to support all of that.

Should I just buy a 3xUSB, ethernet, and power hub such as this one and use a separate DisplayPort cable?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Does the dock have the latest firmware? Does it only drop to 1080p when all USB ports are being used? Seems like there are power issues with the dock if a number of peripherals are connected.

Does the dock have the latest firmware? Does it only drop to 1080p when all USB ports are being used? Seems like there are power issues with the dock if a number of peripherals are connected.
No idea. I'll load Windows onto the MacBook later and try to update it.

It only drops to 1080p when all of the USB ports are in use. Furthermore, if the 4k display is plugged in, the ethernet controller drops to USB 2.0. I am fine with slower ethernet (my internet isn't fast enough to notice), but dropping to 1080p on a 40" display is unacceptable.

Back