Powered or passive subwoofer for clear speakers?

rtangwai

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently bought a used set of speakers. They were slightly more than I wanted to pay ($75 CAD) but they look nice and they go well with my acrylic computer case. I have tried them out and they sound a bit tinny, although they are loud enough as they are powered. They sound fairly well on orchestra and chamber music, but anything with real bass is getting cut off. Can they drive a passive subwoofer or do I need a powered subwoofer with its own amp?

I'm not an expert on computer speakers/audio, so it's kinda hard for me to describe the speakers. Although there are 4 speakers (2 big ones like megaphones, 2 smaller ones like balls), sound is strictly stereo. I wasn't going for surround-sound anyway, they are for music.

Here is a picture of the speakers:

47258388651_8b8de2f92a_o.png

Maybe I should have spent more money and bought a set of Soundsticks III instead? I'm working with a clear acrylic theme for my setup.

Full range speakers have a hard time producing bass, especially sealed.

If your volume box has a sub out, then you'll have to find out if its a powered port or just aux, in which case if it is aux you'll have to buy a powered sub. I have a feeling this is just a two way though. Gnarly looking speakers.

If you want to get funky, you can Y-split off of the main channel, which will decrease your volume to that speaker fyi, and send that splitter to a sub.

Holly shit lol.....different tastes i guess but that is no no;)

Bizzare system. The full size Ferguson Hill system (FH001) is an absurdly high end speaker system that seems to have retailed for something like $26k.

Either way, here is the back of the FH007 mini system's amplifier (which would have helped us if you included a picture).

Looks like there is a subwoofer out so you'll need a powered sub. Just so happens, Ferguson Hill sells a sub specifically for that system, the FH008.

test-ferguson-hill-FH007-01.jpg

Last edited:
Bizzare system. The full size Ferguson Hill system (FH001) is an absurdly high end speaker system that seems to have retailed for something like $26k.

Either way, here is the back of the FH007 mini system's amplifier (which would have helped us if you included a picture).

Looks like there is a subwoofer out which so you'll need a powered sub. Just so happens, Ferguson Hill sells a sub specifically for that system, the FH008.

View attachment 146046

lol, Input is one word, not two.

That's a super interesting set you bought there. Ferguson Hill mini system?

https://www.fergusonhill.co.uk/fhoo7/

How did you come across that?

Facebook Marketplace.

I asked the seller, she told me that they just moved into a new house with a home theatre setup so they didn't need the speakers anymore.

I've never heard of Ferguson Hill, but then again I'm no audiophile - I just thought they looked interesting and they matched up my clear acrylic computer case.

Looks like there is a subwoofer out so you'll need a powered sub. Just so happens, Ferguson Hill sells a sub specifically for that system, the FH008.

I checked the back of the amplifier box, it looks the same as your picture so it probably is a FH007.

I just Google'd FH008 - $615 CAD for a 100W subwoofer?!?!?!

I only paid $75 for the speakers!

This audio hobby is suddenly getting very expensive - who the heck pays $26K for speakers? My SUV cost less than that brand-new!

The FH008 doesn't have anything specific to it that forces you to pair it with the FH007 right?

The seller of the speakers was also selling some cheap 80W Yamaha sub (which I didn't buy because I wasn't sure it was meant for this) so I'm assuming the FH007 doesn't require something super-specialized.

I need cheaper hobbies...

"any" power subwoofer will do. The unit has the cross over built in. So just grab a 50-100 watt power subwoofer, and either disable the crossover or set to to max, and it will match the system. Hell if you fall into a deal on a broke logitech or other speaker system that has a built in sub, you can just run the sub out into the logitech.

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/powered-subwoofers/95

their sub isn't even plexi. you can grab any powered sub and a 3.5mm to rca cable.

any powered sub or any unpowered sub and a amp. you could quite easily make just about any subwoofer work so get the best sub you can or if you want build a nice acrylic box and put a 18" in it.

any powered sub or any unpowered sub and a amp. you could quite easily make just about any subwoofer work so get the best sub you can or if you want build a nice acrylic box and put a 18" in it.

I've been toying with making an acrylic subwoofer, but I have never worked with acrylic before. Everything I have is pre-built so I didn't have to actually make anything.

I also was under the impression that acrylic is not exactly the best material for a sub, as it resonates. Also, the sub box would have to be hollow (since you can see inside) so it will have a fair bit of air inside. If the sub is strong it will leak air and affect sound quality unless I seal the edges quite well.

It is an intriguing idea, I may cheat a bit by buying a powered subwoofer and then move the innards to a custom-built acrylic box if I can find a supplier in town that will do the cutting for me (as I don't have appropriate tools like a band saw).

I've been toying with making an acrylic subwoofer, but I have never worked with acrylic before. Everything I have is pre-built so I didn't have to actually make anything.

I also was under the impression that acrylic is not exactly the best material for a sub, as it resonates. Also, the sub box would have to be hollow (since you can see inside) so it will have a fair bit of air inside. If the sub is strong it will leak air and affect sound quality unless I seal the edges quite well.

It is an intriguing idea, I may cheat a bit by buying a powered subwoofer and then move the innards to a custom-built acrylic box if I can find a supplier in town that will do the cutting for me (as I don't have appropriate tools like a band saw).

you can laser cut acrylic if you need really precise parts it shouldnt be all that expensive either. you would either have to use a thicker piece of acrylic or just some decent bracing and you wont have a resonance issue. sealing the sub box is nessisary but its pretty easy. i just use a strip of silicone and it seals the gaps made by cuting the wood with a jigsaw :p dont buy a powered sub and move it over. often powered subs are ported subs with very little power and you pay a premium. just buy a amp and put in a good sub (you can find the box size for the sub on any manufacturers website. normally they give you a box volume for both ported and sealed subs)

additinally you can weld acrylic together by just placing the edge of one sheet on another and putting acetone near the joint (the acetone gets pulled into the gap and makes a strong sealed weld)

Back