Powered bookshelfs with remote, multi-input and spdif in/sub out?

Ramses

Supreme [H]ardness
Kanto YU5 that I can't find many reviews on and... what else?

Audioengine A5+ only has RCA in, I guess not the end of the world but I wanted
to finally use a digital port lol.

Setup is PC sound games/music via Xonar U7, TV via Roku2(rca analog audio out).
Must have remote and be able to take those two inputs and switch between them without too
much grief. I have a cheap powered sub that I'll replace to match whatever I get at some point.

I wouldn't mind a 2.1 setup but haven't found an affordable one with a remote and multi inputs.

Trying to get away from a stereo receiver like I have now to un-clutter.

Suggestions? Cheaper the better of course but whatever.

Only thing I really know of like that is expensive, the JBL LSR4300 series. Remote control for everything, digital and analogue inputs, support for 2.1 (or 5.1 or whatever) and so on. Really nice setup. However you are talking a minimum of $1100 for a 2.0 setup :/

Yeah, that'd be death by wife. Wish I could find some more reviews of the YU5, they seem to check all the boxes.

I can't believe nobody makes powered speakers with a remote and more than one input other than these guys. I have google'd for hours, nada. I can't find any real complaints about the other Yumi models other than the auto off every 30min is annoying with a PC.

Would there be any way to conceal the receiver setup you already have and get a wireless speaker adapter kit for connecting to your speakers?
This would let you choose from a much larger selection of powered speakers (and upgrade individual components in the future).

Not really, no. If nothing else the line of sight IR remote would be dead for volume.
I'm really surprised nobody else using a PC as primary AV unit in a livingroom isn't wanting to move away from bulky components like I am. It's expensive being the oddball...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an update, I did buy the Kanto YU5 and they are great speakers for under $300.
I'm not an audiophile and can't go into but so much detail, but they are pleasant at all volumes,
lighter than I expected and very clean sounding. They seem capable down to 50hz or so and they just really don't do anything unpleasant or odd musically. Feeding them from a Schiit Modi DAC via USB.

The remote works very well and the balance and bass/treble on said remote are really, really handy and work well. The inclusion of a "center" button is brilliant simplicity. Bluetooth streaming from a tablet or cell sounds great, much better than I expected streaming FLAC from my NAS through the phone. I've run a Roku through an analog input and a Fire TV into an optical and both sound excellent. I have it paired with a 10" Dayton Audio sub-1000 10" powered unit which is also a hell of a lot of sub for the money. I wanted the 8" Kanto matching sub but it was nowhere to be found in the US, maybe later. All in all the system works very well.

Complaints: Not many.
No low filter on the main driver in the YU5, or high filter on the sub-out line. This isn't the end of the world but it would have been nice. Playing test tones the Dayton is decent down to 35hz before it starts to get weak, the Kanto's give a valiant effort and even at decent volume there is a ton of cone movement and no unpleasant noises fwiw, even at 20hz they do a lot of moving but no sound as one would expect, no clattering, etc. Again, not an audiophile but I've had more than a few sets of speakers. The timed cutoff is slightly annoying but really not that bad, it's 20 or 30 minutes.

I suspect I need more woofer than sub-woofer but for the budget and space constraints I was working in, all is pretty well. Low volume listening requires some EQ'ing to have a full sound, but even moderate wife-not-home volumes are very full and well rounded with maybe a tap or two up on the bass level. Either I'm getting old or these freaking things are LOUD. They don't have the impact somehow of a floorstanding full range speaker driven off a dedicated amp/receiver, but they really aren't lacking.

Really just, good speakers. $300 or more might be pushing it, but again there is nothing, short of a loooot more money, with the ability to replace an AV receiver, that I have found. I really wanted the Audioengine A5+, but they don't have bluetooth or as full a featured remote or as many inputs. I suspect they do have better sound, but the average price reflects it.

Yeah saw that too, I actually paid slightly less for open box pair from Blinq or some such off ebay but anything under 250 is a good price imo.

Back