PowerColor Shows Off 4GB HD5970 Eyefinity 12 Card

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you thought Eyefinity on three screens and six screens was impressive…just wait until you can do it on twelve screens! Head on over to PowerColor’s Facebook page and check out this 4GB HD5970 Eyefinity 12 video card in the buff.

Ok, that's just getting insane. The card may have some applications, but I can't believe it could push the kind of power needed for any kind of decent 3D experience on something like a minimal 4x3 6720x3240 resolution; let alone larger displays.

so it takes up 3 slots. wonder does any motherboard support this as crossfire

Seriously? Anyone else think this fad is starting to get ridiculous? I don't see consumers putting 12 monitors in their homes to play games anytime soon.

So, 4x3? So now there's a vertical bezel in your way, instead of a horizontal?

Is this going to be like WSGF? Where bezels are either H+ or V-!?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Card looks like it could bring a 850+ PSU to its knees...

Difficult to imagine how much power 2 of them would need in CrossfireX...

Just what I need for my home made holodeck. 12 60 inch screens :D
Hmmm... two in SLi 24 screens, Hey wife! you are for sale! LOL!

One wife for sale, slightly used, will trade for 12 60inch LCD TV's.

Seriously? Anyone else think this fad is starting to get ridiculous? I don't see consumers putting 12 monitors in their homes to play games anytime soon.

I could see some people having 2 monitors, but it's mostly for playing a movie in one and doing other things on the other.

Due to a lot of games not pushing hardware, Nvidia and ATI and coming out with bullcrap ideas, like Eyefinity and 3D displays. Wait, didn't 3D die in the 80's?

Honestly, AMD and Nvidia should just start making their own games. Games that push their hardware. I don't see developers doing it until PS4 or Xbox 720.

I could see some people having 2 monitors, but it's mostly for playing a movie in one and doing other things on the other.

Going back to a single, or even two, monitors would just suck for me. It greatly increases my work productivity, and it's awesome for gaming.

With a card like this, I could build the ultimate control room and feel like a commander of something. :rolleyes:

Due to a lot of games not pushing hardware, Nvidia and ATI and coming out with bullcrap ideas, like Eyefinity and 3D displays. Wait, didn't 3D die in the 80's?

Honestly, AMD and Nvidia should just start making their own games. Games that push their hardware. I don't see developers doing it until PS4 or Xbox 720.

Sure, one could say stereoscopic images died 'round the turn of the century.

It's cool that folks are trying to push the envelope with eyefinity and 3D, but I'm with you. They seem mostly like gimmicks to me. (Then again, I have NEVER seen, nor even heard of anyone I know using eyefinity, unfortunately for me :( .)

Still seriously considering the Eyefinity, though. The reviews and the gents of [H] Haven't ever really led me wrong...in the decade I've been a reader, anyway.

I feel like a nub for asking, but whats that chip between the two cores? Is that their bridge? I haven't played with an x2 cards, so I'm unfamiliar with their hardware.

I'll place money that card would go up in smoke the moment you started a game if not before.. There's no heatsink! =P

For your average gamer, this is overkill.

For your enthusiast gamer, this is close to overkill, but not impossible.

I could however, see this card being very useful for specialized display applications and companies.

Trading stocks on twelve monitors? Displaying airplane landing and take-off times? Specialized scientific tests and studies that require multiple points of data being reviewed? Specialized rendering and 3D modeling setups?

It's not a mainstream thing, but there definitely are applications for something as [H]ard as a twelve monitor setup. Plus, this thing, even as custom as it is, will probably cost way less then a high-end workstation graphics card.

Might pair up nicely with this baby set on its side.
1.jpg

Fragtastic!:D

so it takes up 3 slots. wonder does any motherboard support this as crossfire
Biostar X58A
MSI P55-GD80
Asus P7P55D
Just to name a few, and those are the ones that don't have nothing but PCIe slots.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Card looks like it could bring a 850+ PSU to its knees...

Difficult to imagine how much power 2 of them would need in CrossfireX...
Two 8-pin connectors and the slot, 375W max. You could run one of these on a Corsair HX620 if you wanted to. Crossfire is another matter.

How many screens does Windows 7 support? It used to be 8 or 10, now I'm not sure anymore.

It seems to be an R&D model - I expect changes between now and release in the form of outputs.

so... let's see:

mountainsjq.jpg

crysistl.jpg

personh.jpg

...I think I'll wait till bigger screens arrive

Yeah definitely not for everyone. Would be useful for airports, stock trading, security cameras for big businesses or the military (or your own personal panic room), or maybe retailers like Best Buy.

Too bad it seems more useful for when you just need a really really crazy amount of monitors than for gaming.

So will be seeing Kyle or Brent review this thing anytime soon?

Biostar X58A
MSI P55-GD80
Asus P7P55D
Just to name a few, and those are the ones that don't have nothing but PCIe slots.

Two 8-pin connectors and the slot, 375W max. You could run one of these on a Corsair HX620 if you wanted to. Crossfire is another matter.

How many screens does Windows 7 support? It used to be 8 or 10, now I'm not sure anymore.

its still 8 display ports..

this card is for specialize use.. not for the gaming consumer..

I believe you meant higher-resolution screens? Otherwise, your wait was over before it began...

actually i meant bigger and lower-res screens... :rolleyes:

of course i meant higher-res :p

Just what I need for my home made holodeck. 12 60 inch screens :D
Hmmm... two in SLi 24 screens, Hey wife! you are for sale! LOL!

One wife for sale, slightly used, will trade for 12 60inch LCD TV's.

made me lol

"Star Trekkin' across the universe!

Won't be going very far 'cuz your stuck in reverse!"

:D

With a card like this, I could build the ultimate control room and feel like a commander of something. :rolleyes:

9 would be good, that way the center of the center screen would be the crosshair point.

This is probably good for lots of excel and spread sheets open, as for gaming the card barely manages 3 screens at max settings let alone 12..

You'll need a room dedicated to your setup to place 12 monitors in such setup :eek:

Agree with what have posted here, doubt it have the rendering power to run a graphical intense game at such insane resolution.

when this thing is available ill put it to good use, our Social Computing Room a 24" x 24" room with 3 projectors per wall. We currently drive it with 2 quadro 4800s each of which is driving a matrox triple head to go. all i can say is i hope the drivers will support a 12x1 eyefinity group. we have been waiting for the E6 to hit the shelves but this would be perfect. the th2gos do not play well with mosaic mode with the quadroplex so the 12x1 would solve alot of problems. we currently need to spin up 2 shared opengl contexts since we break the 8k buffer limit in the nvidia drivers. this does not offer wonderful performance.

Going back to a single, or even two, monitors would just suck for me. It greatly increases my work productivity, and it's awesome for gaming.

Just curious what triple screen setup you have? I ask because I went from three Hanns·G HG-281DPB 28" screens to one Dell 3008WFP and I think this one is way better then having those three(even though this one cost as much as though three, lol).

Just wondering though.

Thanks

I'll place money that card would go up in smoke the moment you started a game if not before.. There's no heatsink! =P

I'll bet that a card like that will dims the lights in your home the moment you start a game up. Can't imagine what head aces people will have with drivers. God, I can barely get component output working correctly on ATI cards, and for some reason it worked better in XP then in Windows 7.

Back